Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2010, 02:48 AM

Default Anyone use Destructive Punch?

I'm finding it to be a proper timesaver when doing stems, and the punch in is usually pretty flawless, but I've found when punching out sometimes there is a little "gremlin" that pops up - a rogue bit of audio at the punch out point. Anyone else experience this? Is this a "bug" or a "feature"? Is destructive punch good for punching in only?

I've tried "DP", but I always seem to end up with a file about a million hours long, even when I set a specific length. Great for post I'm sure, but no good for pop music.
Old 09-14-2010, 03:47 AM

Default Re: Anyone use Destructive Punch?

Same thing happens in destructive record when you just hit stop.
By now I've created the habit of selecting a small section over the position I stopped and record again with pre- and postroll enabled all is fine.
Maybe it helps in DP too.

Pierre
Old 09-14-2010, 04:29 AM

Ooh thanks Pierre will try this. Yes I meant "stop" rather than punch-out, apologies.
Old 11-02-2011, 08:36 AM

Using and loving it in PT 10.
Pre and post roll seems to make it safer.
Wish it could also append destructively so that you could also rerecord destructively as you go along, spending to existing stems.
Can't seem to do this, only punch in and out of existing file.
But that is probably intended functionality unless i am missing something.
best
j
Old 11-02-2011, 08:45 AM

When laying down stems, I create memory locations for all my punches to go back and double check at the end. Even with pre/post roll I've still found glitches from time to time. Better safe than sorry. Usually things are fine but that one time in 100 makes it worth doing.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:14 AM

i have always recorded normally and then gone to each drop in/out point to listen and tweak.

i always record for longer than i needed to, then drag the edit points 'inwards'.

then select the whole thing after and do alt-apple-3.

i have never tried destructive punch because of little glitches that are always there, and to let things like reverb 'ramp up' and 'ramp down'.

stupidly never thought about pre/post roll, maybe i should.

thing is that if you destructive record, and there's a glitch, how do you fix it?

if you do normal style record then you just drag the region edge a bit to a point where it won't glitch then flatten the file after.

i would like to use destructive record and not have to spend basically double the time again checking the edges, but is it possible to trust?