Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2005, 05:19 PM

Default Deleting unused tracks, norton ghost

I'm ashamed I haven't backed up my sessions thus far, it's getting to be that time. I have norton ghost, not sure how to fully use it. Anyone have any tips? I have an external hard drive I am going to back my session files up to, but I need to delete the unused audio in each session first (they are massive). Here is the issue... I have a folder with 6 or 7 sessions in it, and one audio file folder that contains the audio from each of these sessions. I'm afraid if I 'delete unused audio' in any one of the sessions, it will delete the files from the other sessions I am not currently working with. (oops, mistake from the beginning)
Thanks for any help with my lack of housekeeping.
Jon
Old 09-18-2005, 06:40 PM

Default Re: Deleting unused tracks, norton ghost

First-don't count on Ghost to back up your sessions. I used it to image my system drive, but now use a utility to copy my system drive to a spare drive. Once I have a solid working setup, I create a duplicate hard drive and keep it handy. If I have a system crash, I am up and running in 5 minutes. My 2 cents-get a big external firewire drive, open each session and consolidate all the audio tracks, select unused audio and REMOVE it(not DELETE), then "save session copy in", click all the boxes(audio files, fade files etc. and ENFORCE PC-MAC compatibility) and save a copy of each session on your external drive. If there are audio bits that are not used but you still want to keep them, you can always copy those files from the original session audio folder to the session copy audio folder. When you try to open the copies, you will need to click okay for the session to relink the audio but it should all work without any special tricks. If you are able to format this drive in FAT32, it will read on a MAC as well.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-18-2005, 06:43 PM

Default Re: Deleting unused tracks, norton ghost

You need to save a copy of each session in a new location with all related audio files. Then delete unused.
With multiple sessions sharing a common Audio Files folder, you WILL loose audio from other sessions deleting unused files.