Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)

Old 03-16-2005, 07:36 PM

Default Using ProTools with Cubase SX3

Hello all,

Well I have a complicated system and was hoping someone was out there that could help me piece it all together. I have DigiDesign 002 Rack that I primarily want to use it for vocal recording only and mixing down, along with CUbase SX3 that I would like to use for sequencing and Music development. I love SX for its sequencing so I want to use SX for that. However, I know SX does perform very well with vocal recordings, but due to the industry standard for mixing down and mastering usually being in a Protools format I have opted to go with protools for all my post mixing and vocal recording. I have heard there are many people who use Protools and CubaseSX together and I want to get an idea how people do that and how do they set their system up to do so. Some Questions I have are the following:

1) Does anyone run these two products together? If so, how do you run them EXACTLY?

2) Can I use the 002-Rack as a sound card for my audio ins and outs? If so, how do I do this exactly set my system up to do this?

Please answer my questions as if I am an idiot, because I am, and please do not assume I know anything. Also let me give the specs of what I have going on in my system. I Motu 8x8 midi controlloer, Tascam 1840 Control Surface/Board, Proteus 2000, Reason 3.0, Roland XV-3080, and a Korg Triton Rack, along with the 002-Rack and Cubase SX. I run a powerful PC that has zero problems, but will soon make the switch to MAC.

I also heard that with Protools Le 4.1 the midi functions have been upgraded greatly. Is this true? And if so how? Please make your recommendations

Thanks.
Old 03-16-2005, 09:44 PM

Default Re: Using ProTools with Cubase SX3

The only real way to do this is with 2 computers(as far as I know) because Protools only plays when it is the top window. SInce you are thinking of getting a MAC, I suggest using the more powerful computer to run PT and slave the Cubase machine with all your MIDI stuff. Just an idea.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-16-2005, 10:56 PM

Default Re: Using ProTools with Cubase SX3

You'll probably get a better, faster answer by posting in the ProTools LE forum. This is the TDM forum where we use different systems than the one you are asking about. If you scroll further down the Main Index page, you'll see the ProTools LE forum.

http://www.badrap.org