Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 07-09-2017, 10:13 PM

Default "Save plugin settings to session folder"...and repeat? [solved]

Hey folks - I'm working on a 12 song album project. Recorded basic tracks at client's studio, rough mixing the basics at my studio, then going back to client's for overdubs. For the sake of expediency, at this stage I'm only using plugins that I know my client also has.

Am laying foundation of plugins I'll likely use for all 12 songs, just now wrapping up the first tune. I usually save plugin presets as I go, to the default root folder.

I know I can save presets for all plugins I've used in this initial session to the Plugin settings Session Folder, so they'll be available at my client's studio when I reopen sessions there.

But for the remaining 11 songs I still have to rough mix, it's most efficient to save as usual to root folders and keep moving ahead.

When I wrap up this phase of the work and it's time to transfer back to client studio, is there a way to globally save all plugin presets to session plugin folders, or do I need to go through and re-save each plugin preset to their respective session plugin folders?

Thanks!
Pro Tools 12.8
Apogee Duet 2
Glyph Drives + Blackmagic dock with Samsung SSDs
Reason 10, Ivory II, BFD3, Finale
Plugins: Kush, Kontakt, Komplete Ultimate, Exponential Audio, Waves, Slate, Fab Filter, TDR, Pultec Bundle, Bomb Factory, UVI Workstation, Sonnox, Soundtoys, Massey, Valhalla, Aether, PhoenixVerb, etc...
also 17" MacBook Pro w Core i7, OSX 10.9.4
Old 07-09-2017, 11:28 PM

Default Re: "Save plugin settings to session folder"...and repeat?

You know that if your client has the plugs, they will reopen perfectly at his studio with your settings, whether you have saved them as presets, or not. Right?
Old 07-10-2017, 03:41 AM

Default Re: "Save plugin settings to session folder"...and repeat?

Hi Steve - yes, you are right, of course and I realized not long after I posted that it was maybe a bit of a boneheaded post! Thanks for the kindly reminder.

I recently dealt with some challenges that had me sweating bullets in session, chasing down a problem while the musicians were on the clock and producer marking the time. I'm sure it felt worse to me than it actually was to everyone else in the room and I got it figured out soon enough (the issues having to do with OS version, an older interface, ADAT sync stuff and some unexpected track grouping behavior after updating to 12.8 at my friend's studio) but the experience got me feeling overly cautious about preparing for next sessions!

I was thinking maybe saving the presets might provide other level of certainty that things would happen as expected when I open PT at another studio.

Thanks for the reply!
Pro Tools 12.8
Apogee Duet 2
Glyph Drives + Blackmagic dock with Samsung SSDs
Reason 10, Ivory II, BFD3, Finale
Plugins: Kush, Kontakt, Komplete Ultimate, Exponential Audio, Waves, Slate, Fab Filter, TDR, Pultec Bundle, Bomb Factory, UVI Workstation, Sonnox, Soundtoys, Massey, Valhalla, Aether, PhoenixVerb, etc...
also 17" MacBook Pro w Core i7, OSX 10.9.4
Old 07-12-2021, 08:10 PM

Default Re: "Save plugin settings to session folder"...and repeat? [solved]

Nothing boneheaded about it, some of this stuff can be confusing. For example, why would saving the session plugins or the root plugins even be an option? Unless I want to transfer the plugin settings (presets), why check the box? If I am sending the ptx file to a customer, they don't need my plugin settings (presets).

Right?