Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 07-07-2017, 06:26 AM

Default Hardware suggestions Windows/PT12

My present studio computer is starting to show its age- about 6 years. Boot-up problems are becoming more frequent, though actual in-session crashes are not as common, they do happen (once a month?). I don't encounter memory capacity problems very often, but if a project has a lot of vst plug-ins, which is increasingly frequent, the expected can occur.
My system is built around a Universal Audio Apollo 8 using the Firewire 800 connection, and while the bandwidth thus far seems to be adequate, at some point I'll want to switch to Thunderbolt. It is rare to use more than 14 live channels in- actually, I never have- but the potential for such projects exists.
My projects rarely exceed about 30 or so tracks of signal, but it has happened.
Our environment here is mostly about live music though as mentioned vst's do augment that. Presently running with 12 gig of ram, 1 program drive of 500 gig, two 1 terrabyte drives for files. This is a dedicated studio computer only, no games, internet, WP, or anything else. Its purpose will not change in that regard, so no other applications or use considerations will apply. I don't recall the processor speed, but was not a particular hot rod for six years ago.
I'd probably like to retain the existing data drives- they're a little newer and seem to run fast enough for the present.
I'd like to use twin monitors, assuming PT is good with that otherwise.
My budget is around $1500.
What are the suggestions?
Old 07-07-2017, 07:39 AM

Default Re: Hardware suggestions Windows/PT12

You are fairly limited in options for getting thunderbolt on PC, but fortunately, its actually the best option at the moment. That's an X99 motherboard with the optional thunderbolt card(not every X99 board has the option so shop with that in mind). I believe all the X99 mobo's are socket 2011-3, so look for the same in a cpu(i7 6800K is what I just moved to). I would call 700 watts the bottom choice for PSU. Add 32GB of RAM and a Samsung SSD and recycle your recording/samples drives and that should come in right around your budget

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave