Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > ProControl, Control|24, Command|8
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2013, 07:34 AM

Default Re: Control|24 with Pro Tools 11?

Quote:
Originally Posted by karmaudio View Post
In my personnal life
I acted as professional as it gets.
In retururn I was forgotten , lied about , and waisted 3 years of dedication like I have never gave before.

I LIVED I LEARNED
my actions do represent the lessons I have learned from that life altering incident and will most likely continue to do so.
How does one trust a intity that has clearly proven it will leave you like it never even mattered, Then ask you to be civil about it.
I couldn't agree with this more. Shall we all sip tea, cross our legs and weep politely while Avid stomps on our heads (over and over, year after year)? I refuse to accept the labels you have given to those who show passion and emotion Kenny! And holding this thread over us as collateral doesn't deter me either. I mean let's be serious, it has reached a thousand posts and Avid didn't change anything! We ALL tried the civil approach!! If they close it now, does it really make a sh@t of a difference?!! Really??!!

I am an educated, experienced professional with the option of being nasty as well as cordial. I am from Boston and also must admit that my street smarts also come into play when I decide which approach to take. I am not ever going to stay quiet when someone, or anyone else is being disrespected or exploited. Call me ignorant, or whatever other labels you've mentioned in previous posts. It will not scare me away. I am proud of who I have grown to be.

The amount of hit records, mixing experience, years in the music industry etc.. is pretty much irrelevant in this discussion because this is a BUSINESS ethics and customer relations issue. It's evolved more into a discussion of programming actually. We aren´t talking about compression ratios, de-essing techniques etc.... Because people have more experience in these areas than some, it does not give them free reign to dominate over the rest in this discussion. Lastly, I found your little Sci-fi story about the little man at the end of the corridor with the big A on his shirt to be a slap in the face to those who have lost money here. You took the responsibility of being a moderator, correct? If you want to judge our posts than I will label some of your posts unprofessional and disrespectful. What's fair is fair.

------------------------------------------------------
¨WHERE´S MY CHECKBOOK?¨
https://soundcloud.com/louieshowers

Last edited by louieshowers; 08-09-2013 at 10:44 AM.
Old 08-09-2013, 08:28 AM

I still want to know how much time/money it would cost Avid to do this. (Not the four guys a year and a half bunk) The real nuts and bolts of getting these devices to work with PT11. Perhaps the answer would just fuel the fire...?
Old 08-09-2013, 08:54 AM

Come on AVID, we are still waiting. Please give us the drivers!

If not where are we at with someone taking the bull by the horns and creating software for all of us? It's clear to see from this forum that the individual(s) who can accomplish this will receive support/money for their efforts. Definitely enough to make it worth their while.
Old 08-09-2013, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by louieshowers View Post
....Lastly, I found your little Sci-fi story about the little man at the end of the corridor with the big A on his shirt
I personally loved the story....and I think if we look past the picture and the flowery words we can peek into the big machine that makes those decisions....

Loved the story....
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:00 AM

The comment about taking four guys taking a year and a half to support the Control 24 is so ridiculous that it is insulting. Do they take their customers for fools?

I'm not familiar with the PT codebase, and I don't know all of the implications. But I am a software developer, and unless there is some technological hurdle that is not readily apparent, this should be a relatively small task for someone with experience and access to all of the other controller code. This worked in 32-bit, and the vast majority of the code should not have to change. It might be that no code needs to be changed at all, and it simply needs to be recompiled for 64-bit operation. From the outside looking in, this looks like something that could be accomplished with very little investment on Avid's part.

There are other considerations. Is Avid reluctant to do this because changing their mind will make it harder to drop support for other products, out of fear of being subject to the same sort of backlash? Do they have a plan to try to sell other hardware?

But again, this

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcwiz View Post
I still want to know how much time/money it would cost Avid to do this. (Not the four guys a year and a half bunk) The real nuts and bolts of getting these devices to work with PT11. Perhaps the answer would just fuel the fire...?
Old 08-09-2013, 10:23 AM

Pro Tools 11 was not simply a port to 64 bit. Had it been that, there probably would not have been the huge jump in performance.

For all we know, getting rid of their very earliest control surface code might even be part of what led to the massive improvement in performance! There's also a good chance it was written in assembler like I understand a lot of the rest of Pro Tools 4 was. Getting rid of it may also allow building much better controllers in the future. My point is that we really don't know but I suspect there's a great deal more to this than mouse code.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR123 View Post
I personally loved the story....and I think if we look past the picture and the flowery words we can peek into the big machine that makes those decisions....

Loved the story....
of course you did.. congrats!

------------------------------------------------------
¨WHERE´S MY CHECKBOOK?¨
https://soundcloud.com/louieshowers
Old 08-09-2013, 11:02 AM

Bob - I have great respect for you as a mastering engineer. But as a software developer, I disagree with your assessment, and very much so. From the perspective of the internal workings of the software - unless it is horribly written code - a controller is a controller is a controller. There should be a communication layer that translate any controller's input into messages that are passed into the underlying code. The only difference between the Control 24 and the HUI should be a few extra messages (which they need to support anyway) and the ethernet communication layer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
Pro Tools 11 was not simply a port to 64 bit. Had it been that, there probably would not have been the huge jump in performance.

For all we know, getting rid of their very earliest control surface code might even be part of what led to the massive improvement in performance! There's also a good chance it was written in assembler like I understand a lot of the rest of Pro Tools 4 was. Getting rid of it may also allow building much better controllers in the future. My point is that we really don't know but I suspect there's a great deal more to this than mouse code.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:03 AM

You're entitled to your opinion. But if I work for Avid, and a PT user who has spent six figures on my products, I would tend to listen especially closely when that user starts throwing around f-bombs. VERY closely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia View Post
I can promise you this. If Avid is reading this thread and taking this issue seriously, they are not taking seriously those posts that contain f bombs. I wouldn't.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:10 AM

All the best.