How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2013, 03:33 PM

Default Strangest Behaviour!

Hello there,

I'm a relative novice with Pro Tools 10 and I've used it pretty much fine for a few months now except i ran into a very perplexing problem which is really starting to annoy me and make working utterly impossible.

Whenever I change the grid value on the transport bar (eg. 1/16, 1/4 etc) it seems to change MIDI playback speed, but ONLY MIDI! At 1/16 everything plays at normal speed, at 1/8 everything is double timed, at 1/4 tripled, at 1/32 it is halved.... what on earth is going on?? The song audio plays fine it's just midi! And thats not all... it also accordingly shifts all the midi to the right or left depending on if you change the grid value up or down! Ever since this started happening i've also noticed that when i rewire into reason, anything I put into the reason sequencer seems to just move around at random, often by several bars at a time...MADDENING!

I uninstalled Pro Tools (i had to install the 10.3.4 update anyway) and it hasn't changed it....what should I do?

Thanks very much!
Old 04-23-2013, 03:49 PM

Default Re: Strangest Behaviour!

This is how it should work.... Midi is following that tempo grid... when you change the grid you move the midi notes.... It has always worked that way. I do believe you can switch the midi to ticks or something similar and it will not move with the grid or maybe it is changing from ticks to samples... can't remember, I do know that changing the audio tracks from samples to ticks will allow you to change the audio clip tempo.. someone who deals more heavily with Midi in Pro Tools could probably tell you exactly how to do that.

As far as reason moving notes around do you have auto input quantization on your Midi input?? If so this may be automatically shifting your midi notes based on what setting your set input quantize to...

If you think this is a bug or session corruption then try trashing your preferences and if that doesnt work, then Open a new session and import session data from the session your currently using.

Prefs... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mj2fJHOz8GA

Import session data... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeNj9TxKIlo

Last edited by jasonthurley; 04-23-2013 at 04:15 PM.
Old 04-24-2013, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonthurley View Post
This is how it should work.... Midi is following that tempo grid... when you change the grid you move the midi notes.... It has always worked that way. I do believe you can switch the midi to ticks or something similar and it will not move with the grid or maybe it is changing from ticks to samples... can't remember, I do know that changing the audio tracks from samples to ticks will allow you to change the audio clip tempo.. someone who deals more heavily with Midi in Pro Tools could probably tell you exactly how to do that.

As far as reason moving notes around do you have auto input quantization on your Midi input?? If so this may be automatically shifting your midi notes based on what setting your set input quantize to...

If you think this is a bug or session corruption then try trashing your preferences and if that doesnt work, then Open a new session and import session data from the session your currently using.

Thanks for the reply Jason, I will try trashing the preferences. If it's normal behaviour it's news to me! I've created a couple of finished tracks changing that value and it hasn't done what it's doing now! :s
Old 04-24-2013, 01:33 AM

Quote:

I also don't know where this 'input quantization' is unless it is the option that automatically quantizes notes when their recorded in? Otherwise I don't know what it is.
Old 04-24-2013, 01:37 AM

Quote:

I can't delete my Preferences because in my digidesign folder in app support I don't have any of the folders he has! I only have Plugin Settings, Plugins and Plugins (unused)
Old 04-24-2013, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrun View Post
Thanks for the reply Jason, I will try trashing the preferences. If it's normal behaviour it's news to me! I've created a couple of finished tracks changing that value and it hasn't done what it's doing now! :s
Interesting... MIDI has always moved with my tempo changes.... like I said I forget how to make the notes stay at relative position when you change tempo maps but I believe there is a way, and I would assume you were using this method before and something has changed.

Input Quantize Command
When Input Quantize is enabled in the Event
Operations window, all recorded MIDI notes are
quantized automatically.

To enable Input Quantize:
1 Choose Event > Event Operations > Input Quantize.
2 In the Input Quantize page, select Enable Input
Quantize.
3 Configure the other options in the Input
Quantize page. (For more information on the
Quantize options, see “Quantize Command” on
page 892.)
4 When finished, close the Event Operations
window.

There is an application made for trashing pro tools preferences... just google search for it ( pro tools preference trasher)and it should show up.