Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2013, 09:27 AM

Default Core2duo?

Anyone confirm this as a no go on 11? My buddy said my mpb won't run it as its a core2duo. Not supported is fine but how could it just not work?
Old 04-20-2013, 09:47 AM

Default Re: Core2duo?

It'll probably work. Avid doesn't test a lot of different computers and officially support them which makes sense cause that costs money.

How well it works depends on what you want to do with it (ie. track counts, plugins, etc.)

The software hasn't been released yet so no one will really know for sure.
Old 04-20-2013, 09:56 AM

Not supported does not necessarily mean not working. You need to find out by yourself. Avid does nothing to actually prevent unsupported configurations from working, but unsupported means that if you do have a problem with an unsupported configuration you will not get Avid support for it.

And by the way, it is not just a line in the sand. Supported configuration means that Avid actually tests every release against such configuration. That is why they can support them. And they cannot test on every single configuration. So the choice is up to you; whether you want to follow Avid supported configurations guidelines, or whether you want to test it by yourself.

Sorry if this wasn't all that helpful, but it just seems that people generally do not know what "supported configuration" really means and why.
Old 04-20-2013, 11:39 AM

I think if you look at the compatibility list the 2010 Mac minis are on there and they're c2d. So I'm betting it will work. I'm in the same boat and am planning on upgrading my MBP. But I might wait and see is this new AAE really is more efficient. I might get a little more life out of it yet.

That said avid has worked to optimize performance on i7 based rigs. At least pt10 was I imagine 11 is the same.
Old 04-20-2013, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buschfsu View Post
Anyone confirm this as a no go on 11? My buddy said my mpb won't run it as its a core2duo. Not supported is fine but how could it just not work?
I have a core 2duo with PT 10.3.4 works perfect
Hp nw 9440
I7 950
RAM 24Gb corsair 1600 (3 sticks)
9-9-9-24
MAC
MacBookPro i7 2,3 15"
RAM 16gb
PT 11.3
003 Rack
MBox 3 Pro
Old 04-20-2013, 01:59 PM

With no information *at friggin all* about what you are going to do with this system... e.g. number of tracks, sample rates, IO buffersize, plugins and VIs in use how do you expect to get any answer that is at all useful?

The truth is that it is that there will always be trivial sessions you can run and lots of non-trivial sessions where this computer will absolutely suck/PT crash etc. because it is way underpowered. But then I still do useful work on an Core2 Duo MacBook..

So seriously, lots more info needed or all the answers here are just a waste of time...

Darryl
Old 04-20-2013, 04:15 PM

Dude what are you talking about. I'm not asking about performance at all I'm asking if it will work or even install with this processor.
Old 04-20-2013, 04:17 PM

Not supported = maybe, hopefully, cross fingers etc. I guess we'll find out when we try!
Old 04-20-2013, 04:27 PM

Yep. They have said some hardware just won't work so I was wondering if anyone could confirm.
Old 04-20-2013, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buschfsu View Post
Dude what are you talking about. I'm not asking about performance at all I'm asking if it will work or even install with this processor.
"Will it work" is exactly what I am addressing. Are you brand new to Pro Tools? Do you run Pro Tools on this computer today? It is not "performance" as in "snappy usability", its a matter of performance as in wether the whole application will fall over and crash or not trying to run your sessions. Many, or I suspect maybe most?, failures reported here by frustrated users are these "performance" related problems. I expect you will be able to run simple sessions with very few tracks and plugins, but wether that is at all useful to you depends on your expectations/needs.

When you add a plugin or VI to a DAW you are fundamentally changing the program, sticking in extra code to the guts of the system and potentially changing the CPU needs by a few percent, by factors or by orders of magnitudes all depending on what plugins, on how many tracks and exactly what you are doing. So maybe some clue there from you would help folks here get a flavor if you have a chance of this working or not in practice. And what VIs you can run is often a critical question, and will depend a lot on other things like disk/SSD drive specs etc. expectations of running multiple Kontakt tracks etc.. run away now... (And I confidently state that having never even used Kontakt on Pro Tools 11).

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 04-20-2013 at 07:04 PM.