Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2013, 05:52 PM

Default Re: @ Avid : iLok2 & iLok original

Company's that require an ILOK2 should provide one free if you own an existing ilok!

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 04-17-2013, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Denton View Post
You can't buy it here?

http://www.soundware.co.uk/sc/search.php?query=ilok

Aren't they in your 'hood?

Yeah, here too (slightly cheaper), but the Slate offer is still a bargain, even allowing for the $25 international shipping - assuming you actually want the plugin :

UK iLok2 = £35.50p

RC-TUBE = £33.33p

Total = £68.83p

Vs

RC-TUBE + Free iLok2 = £33.33p

International Shipping = £17

Total = £50.33p

Of course, if you don't want the plug-in, just pay the £35.50 for the iLok2.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:06 PM

So if I bought a 2010 'Vette, I'm entitled to a "free upgrade" 2013 when it comes out? Hmmmm......
Old 04-17-2013, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw rec View Post
So if I bought a 2010 'Vette, I'm entitled to a "free upgrade" 2013 when it comes out? Hmmmm......
Of course not. You should pay a nominal $50 upgrade fee.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Johns View Post
Company's that require an ILOK2 should provide one free if you own an existing ilok!
I have to admit, I'm slightly surprised they never offered a trade-in.

If your v1 iLok dies, and you send it back for an RMA, the free replacement they send back will be an iLok2.

I would expect to pay the difference between the v1 iLok, and the iLok2, given that they were half the price, but it seems wasteful to just ditch a perfectly functioning piece of hardware.

If it's because the copyright protection system that Avid bought in to, and by extension we had to buy, is deemed in need of an upgrade, it seems fair that as it's their (Avid's / Pace's) decision to do so, they should be responsible for making sure we are all equally protected (at no incurred cost to the customer).

That's exactly what HSBC, and a number of other banks have done - issuing every customer with a credit card sized digital code key, to access on-line banking.

Likewise, when credit and debit cards moved over to "Chip & PIN", both to protect the banks, and the customers assets - there were no fees imposed upon the customer.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danander11 View Post
I've just migrated computers and spent a bit of time re-authorizing all of my non-iLok licenses... time I would not have had to spend if the licenses were on iLok.

It's actually bargain priced in the grand scheme of things.. How much is an hour or two of your time worth?
I've always been intrigued when people say this when the iLok debate comes up.

When you migrate systems, are you restoring from a clone or installing everything from scratch? If it's the latter, surely the time it takes to install the actual plugins themselves is the time consuming aspect.

I have a mixture of iLok, serial no. and C&R authorised plugins on my system. I don't think I have ever spent more than 10 mins typing in codes etc. Sure, it's not plug & play like iLok, but unless you're installing hundreds of plugins, I don't see how you could be wasting hours of your time. I mean, you're already taking time to install the software. You're adding 30 secs at most to punch in the serial no.

Then I would clone my system which would make a restore painless as I wouldn't have to be typing any serials in. The only time I wouldn't clone would be major OS changes which aren't a monthly occurrence.

Meh....
Old 04-17-2013, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
I've always been intrigued when people say this when the iLok debate comes up.

When you migrate systems, are you restoring from a clone or installing everything from scratch? If it's the latter, surely the time it takes to install the actual plugins themselves is the time consuming aspect.

I have a mixture of iLok, serial no. and C&R authorised plugins on my system. I don't think I have ever spent more than 10 mins typing in codes etc. Sure, it's not plug & play like iLok, but unless you're installing hundreds of plugins, I don't see how you could be wasting hours of your time. I mean, you're already taking time to install the software. You're adding 30 secs at most to punch in the serial no.

Then I would clone my system which would make a restore painless as I wouldn't have to be typing any serials in. The only time I wouldn't clone would be major OS changes which aren't a monthly occurrence.

Meh....
Usually I clone/restore/etc... This time, it was a completly new build going up from a 2.1 Mac Pro that won't run Mountain Lion, to a new hackintosh that does... (very well I might add). So this time it was a brand new install across the board with a couple of clones along the way to make it easy should I have problems in the future.

Edit: I forgot to add.. even if I only spend one hour a year, (or two or three), re-authorizing plugs.. hasn't an iLok already paid for itself? And if I have more than one computer I use to do my work on, one at home, one at work, one laptop for travel times... I can carry the same setup everywhere I go. No necessary for a lot of folks, but still.. In th eend, you just have to go with what works for you. To me it just seems that a lot of folks tend to be short-sighted when it comes to issues like this.
What I found when I got there,
was that I couldn't stay away!

Hobo Shave!
Old 04-17-2013, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danander11 View Post
I forgot to add.. even if I only spend one hour a year, (or two or three), re-authorizing plugs.. hasn't an iLok already paid for itself?
Sure. It's not the cost I was debating, more so the amount of time people say it saves. The latter has NEVER been a real issue for me.

Quote:
And if I have more than one computer I use to do my work on, one at home, one at work, one laptop for travel times... I can carry the same setup everywhere I go. No necessary for a lot of folks, but still.. In th eend, you just have to go with what works for you. To me it just seems that a lot of folks tend to be short-sighted when it comes to issues like this.
Same here. Although the way I do this, is I clone my main studio rig to a 2.5" drive, pop the drive in an ext. USB case, then I boot from that on my laptop if I'm on the road, travelling etc. I prefer to keep my audio stuff seperate. It's like 1 min to reboot the machine.

I'm pretty crazy with dedicating seperate Macs for specific tasks. I have an iMac in the studio, an iMac for net and general home stuff, a MacBook Air for DJing, a MacBook for general mobile stuff & a Mac Mini as a HTPC.

Mental huh?

Last edited by Sardi; 04-17-2013 at 09:29 PM.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
I have an iMac in the studio, an iMac for net and general home stuff, a MacBook Air for DJing, a MacBook for general mobile stuff & a Mac Mini as a HTPC.

Mental huh?
A Mac for lunch, and a partridge in a pear tree

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 AERO D
CPU: Intel Alder Lake Core i9-12900K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64GB (2x 32gb 5200MHz)
Drives: 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (Record & Samples)
1 x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (OS Win 11 Pro)

GPU:Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6 PCIE 4
PSU: Corsair HX Series HX850 Platinim
CASE: Fractal Define XL R2
PT 11HD (v11.3.2) Omni s/pdif <> AxeFxIII
HD 96I/O
Old 04-17-2013, 09:27 PM

HAHAHA!!

Jokes aside though, keeping everything separate has resulted in never having issues.

Bit of a pain keeping on top of where data is stored and backups though.