Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2013, 08:54 AM

Default Re: PT10+CPTK to PTHD11 to PTHD12 ??

Someone needs to clean up this thread - there is so much BS in it.
SOME of the people posting sound like the NRA.
I can't get over how people just make stuff up then post it here as fact.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:03 AM

One question answered, that's a start.

Maybe the mods and/or DTS can track back through the threads and generate a list of the many other detailed questions that still remain.

I'm not talking about the upgrade price type stuff, should it be this or that, but specific questions that have arisen either due to some perceived ambiguity in what Avid has said, or have arisen due to nothing, so far, having been said.

Or is the onus on us to compile that list?

Avid/DTS, please let us know ... I guess I and others would make the effort to do the trawl if needed.

Maybe we should officially have a thread that simply contains any questions regarding PT10 to PT11 and beyond in any shape or form ... HD, CPTK, vanilla, student/academic etc, without the rhetoric, anecdotes, examples etc.

What do people think? This could then become the place that official answers are posted to, so that we end up with them all in one place.

It might be better than having stuff spread over lots of threads.

I guess the mods and/or DTS would need to police it to sift out duplicates etc. And maybe the list of questions should be a numbered list in a single post controlled by the mods, with the answers in a numbered list in a post controlled by Avid. We can add posts to the thread to get questions added to the list, but those two 'main' posts would be the definitive list of Q&A.

Does that sound too ambitious? Too messy? A pain to manage? Something else?

I'm just thinking that a one stop shop for all the Q&A will be of enormous help, both now while the topic is hot, and in the future when those unsuspecting PT'ers who are currently blissfully unaware, start turning up hoping for answers.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:40 AM

Well, here's a few things I can confirm:

1. PT11HD will still run on 3rd party hardware (ASIO or Core Audio).

2. Based on Tony Cariddi's recent post, I don't see any reason to assume that the ability to run Pro Tools with ASIO or CoreAudio won't also be possible for future versions of Pro Tools. I would not worry about it.

3. If you own CPTK and PT10 now, and upgrade your Pro Tools License only... you will have the ability to continue to use your CPTK with PT10, since the PT11 license includes a PT10 license. You can also have PT10 and PT11 installed on the same drive, so if you need to access a session that requires your CPTK features(or the use of an RTAS plugin), you can save from PT11, and open it in PT10.

What other questions are there? I think that once we get some more info from AVID and they've had some time to assess the CPTK monster thread, we could probably compile a list of FAQs.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 04-18-2013, 12:07 PM

John,

What other questions are there?

Well one at least .... Why do so many mods insist on repeatedly making statements based on the assumption that because CPTK was sent to the grave at the time of the PT11 announcement, it will never come back.

Your comments present CPTK's demise as a done deal, from which there is no coming back. Ultimately, events may prove you right, but for now it's speculation, as Avid has confirmed they have taken note of the feedback we've given them.

For all the reasons I and others have set out in the other thread on CPTK, I remain hopeful that Avid will reverse their decision. The potential impact of CPTK's unannounced withdrawal is, as we have set out, huge.
Old 04-18-2013, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberts View Post
Someone needs to clean up this thread - there is so much BS in it.
SOME of the people posting sound like the NRA.
I can't get over how people just make stuff up then post it here as fact.
Yeah cause trying to make a politically sarcastic statement about the NRA is not BS...
Old 04-18-2013, 07:12 PM

So reading all these posts is just crazy. Seems to me that this company did much better when all of their software only worked with their hardware, business wise it would only make sense for Avid to seriously consider closing the door on being open to 3rd party interfaces. Also Avid has vocalized very well that their market of interest is the professional market, not consumer or project studio market (please no semantics on if a project studio is professional or not) will they still sell to those markets, of course...capitalism is capitalism...but since they opened to third party interfaces they have been making the "LE" version less like the HD version. Why? Lets think about that...

The HD line is their pride and joy, it is the whole reason why Avid is in this business...nobody has yet to make a SYSTEM that compares to the HD Systems. Sure there's companies like Apogee that team up with Apple to work with Logic, but it is all still ran on Core Audio...Steinberg had Nuendo (the only real comparison to Pro Tools HD software in my book) but it is only a software comparison, Steinberg use to be teamed with RME for converters to be used with Nuendo, but it's been a long time since them days. But again there is still no DSP based system that doesn't need core audio or ASIO for Nuendo to work on, and even then Steinberg makes some hoops to jump through with comparisons between Cubase and Nuendo and limitations of what Cubase can do compared to its big brother. So to come full circle to my question of why they are making the "LE" software less like the HD software and possibly close off HD from 3rd party is because HD is what they are all about and obviously Pro Tools is less stable on 3rd party interfaces than their own hardware, so there is more time and money spent on fixing bugs and all kinds of issues then they would like to be spending. Avid is saying...if you want to be an HD user then it has to be on our stable system, that is the only way they can guarantee their product.

As a side note, i think more professionals are mobile these days which is why they will leave the possibility of Pro Tools open to work with 3rd party hardware so the HD users can still work on a plane or bus or whatever.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:22 PM

I'm not arguing with you but if they're going to focus on the "high end" then why did they just release two interfaces for iPads?

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2013/04...io-interfaces/

http://www.avid.com/US/products/fasttrack-solo
http://www.avid.com/US/products/fasttrack-duo

And more importantly who do they think will be dumb enough to buy them when all they hear from Avid these days is how they're tired of dealing with the small time losers.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:39 PM

I think you're right. PT11 vanilla and PT11HD are the last time software will be usable without hardware. No one wants to accept this, thus all of the discussion. There will be no PT12 vanilla, and PTHD11 users will need to buy hardware if they don't have any.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Lang View Post
I'm not arguing with you but if they're going to focus on the "high end" then why did they just release two interfaces for iPads?

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2013/04...io-interfaces/

http://www.avid.com/US/products/fasttrack-solo
http://www.avid.com/US/products/fasttrack-duo

And more importantly who do they think will be dumb enough to buy them when all they hear from Avid these days is how they're tired of dealing with the small time losers.
People that like to spend $700 or more and be called a small time loser.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:25 PM

Your missing a big number - 700 multiplied by 500,000 (probably more) is a big money grip baby and don't let avid fool you - they take that to the bank every day - some body's mom buying a bday gift for their son (14 year old) who wants to be a DJ so they get vanilla

They will take that to the bank all day - but then come back and say we are really focusing in the pro user - and sell many less HDX systems than. Mbox's (bet on it) I mean how many million dollar studios exist nowadays -

If you have 1 million people give you a $1 dollar bill you are still a millionaire

2 million people only have to give you $0.50 and your still a millionaire

How about 1 million people giving you $700 dollars ??

They sell more mboxes than anything out there - bet small time looser (I am) is a big part of AVIDs finances
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.