Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2022, 03:11 PM

Default Re: Kudos to Avid for 2022.9

One thing I've noticed with AUX I/O is that if you customize your I/O's, as shown in the What's New Guide, you should back up your config file as Pro Tools will overwrite that file on a new install.
Old 10-09-2022, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiobob View Post
One thing I've noticed with AUX I/O is that if you customize your I/O's, as shown in the What's New Guide, you should back up your config file as Pro Tools will overwrite that file on a new install.
A new install of ProTools? Historically, IOs remain intact after a new install. Are you saying that AUX IOs don't follow those rules and are lost?

2022.9 is the first version of PT which uses Aux IOs so there's not been a chance to install a newer version.
Old 10-10-2022, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
A new install of ProTools? Historically, IOs remain intact after a new install. Are you saying that AUX IOs don't follow those rules and are lost?

2022.9 is the first version of PT which uses Aux IOs so there's not been a chance to install a newer version.
I installed Pro Tools Intro to play around with and my AUX I/O's were reset to the original settings. Then reinstalled Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.9 for the heck of it and the config file was overwritten. But the IO settings and the AUX IO settings are stored in different places. You could be right that the next version of PT will not overwrite that file.
Old 10-10-2022, 07:17 AM

Quote:
I have to say that I'm amazed by that. One of the prime beneficiaries of Aux IOs is Dolby and their technology.
Me too! I think they are just busy with so many DAW's and also I get they travel like a carnival show showing the future of Dolby Atmos in the world. I"m sure he will be doing a deep dive once he gets some down time. Those people live in airports. G
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.6, DP 11.3.1, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS
Old 10-10-2022, 10:24 AM

Quote:
I have to say that I'm amazed by that. One of the prime beneficiaries of Aux IOs is Dolby and their technology.

AUX IOs are entirely geared towards accomodating HDX/HDN users more than anything else. Very little has changed in the way Atmos integrates with Pro Tools.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 10-10-2022, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDS View Post
AUX IOs are entirely geared towards accomodating HDX/HDN users more than anything else. Very little has changed in the way Atmos integrates with Pro Tools.
Don't Aux IOs now allow an easier Atmos connection via Dolby Audio Bridge? Post engineers I've talked to have been quite excited about this new routing.
Old 10-10-2022, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Don't Aux IOs now allow an easier Atmos connection via Dolby Audio Bridge? Post engineers I've talked to have been quite excited about this new routing.

It is definitely exciting! Nothing has really changed with the Dolby Audio Bridge or the Renderer though. It still interfaces with Pro Tools in the same way it always has. Aux IO just means Avid are no longer putting users in the ridiculous position of needing to choose between the Dolby Audio Bridge or physical hardware as the playback engine in any given session. Essentially it is more about the stuff that can happen in Pro Tools around Dolby Audio Bridge. You can record live inputs again. You can use HDX hardware and DSP plugins and hybrid mix engines again. You can use your Sync HD again for edge-frame sync.

The change has made Pro Tools more useful when using Dolby Audio Bridge, rather than actually changing anything directly related to Dolby or Dolby Audio Bridge.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 10-11-2022, 06:45 AM

I must say I do like the new quantized button..
Old 10-11-2022, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDS View Post
It is definitely exciting! Nothing has really changed with the Dolby Audio Bridge or the Renderer though. It still interfaces with Pro Tools in the same way it always has. Aux IO just means Avid are no longer putting users in the ridiculous position of needing to choose between the Dolby Audio Bridge or physical hardware as the playback engine in any given session. Essentially it is more about the stuff that can happen in Pro Tools around Dolby Audio Bridge. You can record live inputs again. You can use HDX hardware and DSP plugins and hybrid mix engines again. You can use your Sync HD again for edge-frame sync.

The change has made Pro Tools more useful when using Dolby Audio Bridge, rather than actually changing anything directly related to Dolby or Dolby Audio Bridge.
Ah yes, I see what you meant. Though this is info Dolby themselves should be aware of as it might completely change how they advise their clients.
Old 10-11-2022, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqd View Post
I must say I do like the new quantized button..
Indeed, it's nice to have, though my brain still has me reaching for the keyboard shortcut.