Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2016, 09:14 AM

Default Create PlugIn Chains for Tracks???

If you are thinking that it is just as simple as adding a "template" to

Documents/ProTools/Track Presets/MASTER and then adding a .ptxt if it doesn't have one... like all the other versions before 12.4, and that this topic has been addressed ad nauseum... I so wish it were true!

I even save and close out session and ProTools and then reopen. When I go to "create new track," I can see my preset folder, I can even see my .ptxt files I've saved. But when I go to "create a new track" I get this message:

"The Document could not be opened because it was created with a newer version of Pro Tools." Not kidding... SAY WHAT?!?!?

I am an audiobook narrator for ACX. If I try to save a template with any track loaded with plugins upon opening, well... the memory issue crashes everything. I COULD create a template that has a track with all my plugins DEACTIVATED and then copy/past chapter after rough editing to consolidate with my room tone. Then activate. If I need others, I could just DUPLICATE this track. (I have already saved presets and set as "user default" to save the steps of having to reset all my levels.)

Any which way... this is taking forever. Some advice I was given was to MASTER in Twisted Wave - because of ease of keeping on top of my noise levels - for ACX standards. BUT, I mostly use Oxford Broadcast PlugIns which sound horrific. It takes 6 hours of production for every 1 hour of book. 2 hours for 1 hour of record and then 4 hours of editing and mastering. With all the glitches, learning curve issues, etc. with ProTools - I just don't know what else to do.

I've followed all the tutorials all the way from when the work around was first youtube.

Any ideas from anyone?
Thanks
Old 03-19-2016, 09:43 AM

Default Re: Create PlugIn Chains for Tracks???

Lookup 'track preset hack' here and it'll show how to create the chains on an empty track and how/where to save it. When done right you can see it in the 'create new track' dialog box. As to the error you're seeing have you repaired permissions? That is assuming you're on some form of OSX - your profile page doesn't say which one you're running.

Possibly related, possibly not but what's your system drive in that iMac? It's not a Fusion drive is it? Those are death to PT.

QAPLA!
Old 03-19-2016, 10:58 AM

Sorry... I didn't have signature set up...

Those "plug in hacks" are the videos I was talking about... PT v10 and before has "new track presets" put in Avid folder in Applications. After 10, they put in PT folder under documents. I can SEE all my presets... I just can't open them. Also, each tutorial has a slight tweak from the others, I've tried several different scenarios... no luck. I've closed session and PT and then reopened... no luck.

How would I know if I have "repaired Permissions" - I haven't seen steps for that... also, how would I find out if I have a "fusion" drive? I was actually helped (unofficially) by a PT tech picking out this mac from BHVideo when, after we realized my old macs just couldn't handle PT, it was time to invest in a newer one. Whatever that is worth.

MA
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Plugin Preset Problem.jpg (30.9 KB, 0 views)
HARDWARE
: Focusrite - Scarlet 2i2, ATH-M50x Headphones
Presonus Studio Tube Channel Strip
MIC: Neumann TLM 103
SOFTWARE: Protools 12.4, Twisted Wave, RX 5 - Audio Editor, Audacity, Batch Commander (unused - too complicated for now)
PLUGINS: Oxford Broadcast (Dyn, EQ, Inf, Supr, Comp, Codec), Waves Pro Lim and whatever else included.
Old 03-19-2016, 03:05 PM

When you say you can see them, but can't open them....see them where? If its NOT under the New Track menu, then copy them to the proper place(not sure on a Mac) or open prefs and choose the proper folder. FWIW, I have saved copies of all my presets in 2-3 places, as sometimes a PT uninstall will remove those as well(having them backed up saves remaking them all)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave

Last edited by albee1952; 03-20-2016 at 02:22 PM.
Old 03-20-2016, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortensign View Post
Sorry... I didn't have signature set up...

Those "plug in hacks" are the videos I was talking about... PT v10 and before has "new track presets" put in Avid folder in Applications. After 10, they put in PT folder under documents. I can SEE all my presets... I just can't open them. Also, each tutorial has a slight tweak from the others, I've tried several different scenarios... no luck. I've closed session and PT and then reopened... no luck.

How would I know if I have "repaired Permissions" - I haven't seen steps for that... also, how would I find out if I have a "fusion" drive? I was actually helped (unofficially) by a PT tech picking out this mac from BHVideo when, after we realized my old macs just couldn't handle PT, it was time to invest in a newer one. Whatever that is worth.

MA
Actually a lot of people are putting their system info on their profile page as big sig files are becoming a thing of the past. But that's a minor thing.

Repairing permissions is a basic Mac thing that's in OSX Disk Utility. Learning how to do that is a real good thing. Doing so can often cure a variety of ills.

As to tell if you have a Fusion system drive you should be able to find that out via the Apple menu. Go there and select 'about this Mac' and when the next box comes up on screen click the 'further info' button and the System Profiler should open up with all your system info. Somewheres in their you should find out what type of system drive you have. You just have to go through the tabs.

As to the folder business you have to create a separate subfolder to contain your user presets in the folder that contains the pre-made by Avid presets. That way when you use the new track dialog box you should be able to call them up.

QAPLA!
Old 03-20-2016, 05:21 AM

FYI, repairing permissions by the user is gone in OS 10.11. The OS does it for you as needed.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 03-20-2016, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Mazurek View Post
FYI, repairing permissions by the user is gone in OS 10.11. The OS does it for you as needed.
Actually it can still be done if one doesn't mind using Terminal; here's a link to a page showing how to do it:
http://osxdaily.com/2015/11/04/verif...ions-mac-os-x/

QAPLA!