Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > ICON & C|24

Old 10-16-2010, 06:15 AM

Default Re: fighting faders

Quote:
Carbon faders were the fix for me. No problems since then.
+1
Old 11-15-2010, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nucelar View Post
Hi!
I've been through the fighting fader issue. In my case, after thouroughly ruling out all other possible causes (mains, earth, caps, humidity, floor, shoes, chair, astrology, etc...), I ended up getting the cleaning kit and opening the unit.
It is simply a question of dirt. The inside of the faders was relatively clean, but it turns out the "touch track" of the fader is *extremely* sensitive to dirt. even the thinnest nanoscopic layer of dust seems to affect touch sensitivity. Once cleaned, the faders worked perfectly again.
PS: I once cleaned the faders on a Command-8 that was acting up, and the faders were WAAAAY much dirtier. I even wondered how they still had been working.
The dust cover is a great idea, I recommend it to all users.
You can contact me for detailed cleaning tips, I have painful experience.
Good luck!
I would sure like to learn more about cleaning tips: where to get a cleaning kit, instructions on cleaning the D Command, etc. Many thanks.
Old 11-16-2010, 02:13 PM

I have the ES main unit bought in November 2008. The unit is operated in a clean air conditioned non-smoking personal studio and I am the only mixer. In summer of 2009 several faders had problems with touch sensitivity. I brought it to the service center and they repaired it in one day (the unit was on warranty). A month ago the same problems appeared again and I had no time to stop my work and bring the 30 kilogram unit to the service center (the service people said they never go to the clients themselves regardless of how much money I offered them). So I detached the faders and opened their metal enclosures. Inside each enclosure there is a pink card with contact 'tracks', along which the spring contacts slide. I cleaned these 'tracks' with soft dry tissue. Some faders left some black dust on the tissue, some - not. Then assembled everything back. The whole operation took 1 work hour of a rerecording mixer. Now my faders are better than new! They are smooth, produce much less noise and even PT behavior is more stable:). If necessary, I can post photos of the procedure.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2555539/
Old 11-24-2010, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHD View Post
IIf necessary, I can post photos of the procedure.
My D-Command is from 2006, and I am having a few of those issues. I'd love to see some photos of what you did to clean them.

Thanks
Old 11-26-2010, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subwoof View Post
My D-Command is from 2006, and I am having a few of those issues. I'd love to see some photos of what you did to clean them.

Thanks
Great description. I would also love to see photos of the process, especially how you open up the D Command.
Old 12-03-2010, 03:33 AM

Here is the link to photos

http://gallery.me.com/chds#100003

First, unplug the unit!!! Remove fader caps. To open D-Command, unscrew the 5 screws which hold the metal plate with faders with the help of a 2 mm HEX tool. Pull up the plate, taking care not to damage the wiring. Then unscrew the faders from the plate with the same tool. Beware dropping the screws inside. Then unplug wiring shown on pics 2 and 3. Pic 4 shows the metal enclosure. Just pull the two parts apart accurately. Pic. 5 shows the pink plate. The dark grey stripes on the plate are the contact tracks you need to clean. I used just a dry tissue, no solvents or cleaning liquids. When assembling everything back be careful while pushing the faders' wiring inside the D-Command. Wish you luck with your cleaning! My unit is working OK for 6 weeks already.
By the way, are my faders plastic or carbon? Pic 6 shows stickers with numbers on the fader.
Old 12-03-2010, 04:00 AM

Quote:
First, unplug the unit!!! Remove fader caps. To open D-Command, unscrew the 5 screws which hold the metal plate with faders with the help of a 2 mm HEX tool. Pull up the plate, taking care not to damage the wiring. Then unscrew the faders from the plate with the same tool. Beware dropping the screws inside. Then unplug wiring shown on pics 2 and 3. Pic 4 shows the metal enclosure. Just pull the two parts apart accurately. Pic. 5 shows the pink plate. The dark grey stripes on the plate are the contact tracks you need to clean. I used just a dry tissue, no solvents or cleaning liquids. When assembling everything back be careful while pushing the faders' wiring inside the D-Command. Wish you luck with your cleaning! My unit is working OK for 6 weeks already.
By the way, are my faders plastic or carbon? Pic 6 shows stickers with numbers on the fader.
How did you get the fader plate out without removing the spacer plate on the side, and some additional screws the holds the plate from the side? Also, there's six screws holding the plate on my console.
Old 12-03-2010, 04:17 AM

I have a black ES unit. The metal fader plate is fixed by 5 hex screws: 4 at the corners and 1 in the middle of the side close to the operator ( the holes can be seen on pic 1). When I unscrew them, I am able to pull up the whole assembly, but it's not very convenient, because of the wires. It's easier to unscrew the faders and pull them up one by one. What do you mean by the fader spacer plate? The plastic frame with places for LEDs under the metal fader plate? It looks like in my unit it is a part of the whole D-Command's top and can not be removed at all.
Old 12-03-2010, 04:32 AM

The spacer plate is the plastic cover that runs along the entire left side of the unit. You remove this plate if you want to attach a fader unit on that side. When I swapped all the faders I had to remove the spacer plate and some more screws on the left side. First I tried to unscrew the 6 screws holding the fader plate, but it wouldn't move at all. Actually, Chris Lambrechts talked me through the entire process.
Old 12-03-2010, 04:44 AM

Guess we have different modifications and mine is more DIY-friendly:). Do you have a blue D-Command?