Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI

Old 03-09-2016, 05:14 PM

Default Re: Digi Tech Support Please Help !!!

Where is digi tech support? Is there a moderator out there?
Old 03-10-2016, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keniko View Post
I'm using my old Roland D-110 module on a session. I have set up the midi studio and recorded a part. When I return to the session. All is well until I stop playback. When stopped. Playing the midi controller there is no sound but the midi trk shows a signal but not in the aux track. Plus, in the midi editor clicking on a note I hear no sound as well. When I resume playback. The midi track plays back through the D-110. The midi trk is armed to record, The little green icon next to the transporter in on and midi thru is checked. Remember, When my session first loads everything works. Controller triggers the D-110 and I hear sound in the midi editor when clicking on a note. I'm stumped. Any ideas? Thanks…..
You could be a LOT clearere on what exactly you are doing.
Quote:
I'm having the same issue. See my post http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=378166. Can someone please help?
link does not go to a thread
Quote:
I just can't figure this out. There's no answers anywhere and I'm not alone with this issue. I figured out hitting rescan Midi studio in Midi studio set up everything works perfectly until I hit play….then Pro Tools crashes every time. Please Help. It's driving me nuts…..
Quote:
One link goes to no thread and the other refers back to here.
Quote:
Can Digi Tech Support Please Help !!! I can not continue with my project. It's extremely frustrating….
Quote:
There is definitely a midi issue using external midi modules. I'm not alone with this issue. Please look at my recent posts..... I can not continue with my project. Thank you....
Quote:
Where is digi tech support? Is there a moderator out there?
Like I said - if you explained clearly what you are doing then maybe we can help.

I use external MIDI hardware as well as vi's without issue. For the external modules (like my Moog Voyager Rack Mount synth) I use a MIDI track in PT to feed channel one on the MIDI port that the Moog is connected to. Then for audio return I use an aux track in PT to receive the audio out from the Moog which is connected to my audio interface. Nice thing with using an aux track rather than an audio track is that you don't need to record enable anything to play music. When I want to record the MIDI I record enable the MIDI track and play away. Stop recording, return the PT transport to the beginning, hit play and what I recorded plays. When I'm satisfied with that then I set the output of the aux track to a new stereo audio track, record enable the audio track and let things render.

QAPLA!
Old 03-10-2016, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
You could be a LOT clearere on what exactly you are doing.

Like I said - if you explained clearly what you are doing then maybe we can help.

I use external MIDI hardware as well as vi's without issue. For the external modules (like my Moog Voyager Rack Mount synth) I use a MIDI track in PT to feed channel one on the MIDI port that the Moog is connected to. Then for audio return I use an aux track in PT to receive the audio out from the Moog which is connected to my audio interface. Nice thing with using an aux track rather than an audio track is that you don't need to record enable anything to play music. When I want to record the MIDI I record enable the MIDI track and play away. Stop recording, return the PT transport to the beginning, hit play and what I recorded plays. When I'm satisfied with that then I set the output of the aux track to a new stereo audio track, record enable the audio track and let things render.
I apologize in advance for not being clearer. I'm set up exactly the way you are. But using Midi channel 2 on the D-110 as it's the default channel.

Here is my set up:

Edirol PC-M50 Midi Controller connected through USB to my iMac 27" i7

Roland D-110 Midi Out to Digi 002 Midi In
Digi 002 Midi out to Roland D-110 Midi in
D-110 Audio outs L/R to Digi 002 Mic/Line inputs 1/2 Mic/Line switches set to Line

Midi Studio Set Up:
Midi Device = Roland D-110 out to Digi 002 In
Digi 002 Out to D-110 In

Mix Window:
Midi Track Input set to All
Midi Track out Set to D-110 channel 2 (D-110 is transmitting on channel 2)
Stereo Aux Input Mic/Line 1-2
Stereo Aux Out to Main Outs

Midi Thru Checked
Midi/Speaker Icon next to transport is on (lighted)

Armed the midi track and recorded a part. Launch Midi editor did some minor edits. Hit play. Midi track plays through the D-110. Stop Transport. With Midi track armed. I play my controller. I get a signal in the midi track but it's not going through the aux send and can't hear sound. In the midi editor, clicking on a note has no sound as well. I go to Midi Studio set up, Click on rescan midi studio, I hear sound as it passing through my Aux track and clicking a note in the midi editor plays sound as well. I hit play and Pro Tools crashes. I load up the session again. Everything works as explained above until I stop the transport and replay then nothing works… I checked all my settings D-110 still transmitting on channel 2, Midi track input is set to ALL Midi out is D-110 Channel 2, Aux Input Mic/Line1/2 Aux out to Main, Midi thru is checked and the Midi/speaker icon next to transport is on. See Screen shots of my Midi Input Filter and Midi Input Enabled settings (default settings) Why would this change after playback? Is this a setting? A Midi Bug? Am I doing something wrong? Thanks in advance…..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Midi Input Filter.jpg (22.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Midi Input Enabled.jpg (35.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-11-2016, 05:10 AM

Default Re: MIDI Thru stops working after sequence playback stops

Your setup is not quite like mine - you use a hybrid MIDI with both USB and traditional 5 pin din connectors. I use 5 pin MIDI all the way through with my MOTU MIDI Timepiece AVUSB MIDI interface. Hybrid setups have been known to have issues from time to time.

Something occurs to me - how are you sending cc7 volume control messages? That could account for you being able to record and it plays but when you play your controller you don't hear anything. There might be some kind of volume automation thing going on - check for that. Also you don't need the MIDI track armed for record to play your D110. For the MIDI filter setup try letting PT record everything and see what happens.

QAPLA!
Old 03-14-2016, 04:44 PM

Musicman691. I got my issue resolved by patching my controller to the D-110 then to the 002. Midi track plays back(always did) I get sound through the Aux track and the midi editor is fine as well. Not being a midi guy. I figured using USB for midi, I could send midi info to my D-110 with the channels assigned correctly. This worked for recording the first part. After that, I could get a signal in the midi track but it wouldn't go through the aux track. It should've worked. Anyway, The new studio set up is working perfectly and that's all I care about. It's been really frustrating and I thank you for your response and suggestions.
Old 03-15-2016, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Musicman691. I got my issue resolved by patching my controller to the D-110 then to the 002. Midi track plays back(always did) I get sound through the Aux track and the midi editor is fine as well. Not being a midi guy. I figured using USB for midi, I could send midi info to my D-110 with the channels assigned correctly. This worked for recording the first part. After that, I could get a signal in the midi track but it wouldn't go through the aux track. It should've worked. Anyway, The new studio set up is working perfectly and that's all I care about. It's been really frustrating and I thank you for your response and suggestions.
Good you got it sorted. MIDI setup can be maddening even for the seasoned pro. One of the worst can be using a synth as both a MIDI controller and a sound source. If one does the typical connection of having both MIDI ins and outs connected between the synth and the MIDI interface (or computer) you end up with double notes or worse. The only way to solve that is to disable local control on the synth so that it only responds to the MIDI coming from the computer.

QAPLA!
Old 03-15-2016, 11:59 AM

Well, I thought I had this worked out. Loaded up the session today… same thing. This time no midi playback through my D-110. I get a signal in the midi track but not through to the aux track like before. Snooping around the DUC. Digi tech support suggested checking the midi drivers MacHD>Library>Audio>MIDI Drivers on a different thread. I checked this and the folder is empty. I suspect this has been the cause of my issues. Where do I download the driver for my 002?
Old 03-15-2016, 04:00 PM

Bump. I got this to work again. It's weird as I don't know what I did.
Old 03-15-2016, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Well, I thought I had this worked out. Loaded up the session today… same thing. This time no midi playback through my D-110. I get a signal in the midi track but not through to the aux track like before. Snooping around the DUC. Digi tech support suggested checking the midi drivers MacHD>Library>Audio>MIDI Drivers on a different thread. I checked this and the folder is empty. I suspect this has been the cause of my issues. Where do I download the driver for my 002?
Wish I could help on the 002 drivers. Maybe some kind soul here can help on that.

QAPLA!
Old 03-16-2016, 08:03 AM

Thanks for all of your help. I loaded the session today. Same thing. Nothing worked. The D-110 has 8 songs in ROM. When I play them and go back to my session, everything works. There's something going on with the D-110. I've checked the midi channel, output assignments, Part volume. Everything is set fine. Any thoughts?