Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 11-06-2003, 10:05 AM

Default Screen Resolution Question

I use a Cinema Display but a C24 keeps me 3 feet from it all day and I squint most of the time. Is it safe to increase the monitor display resolution once in awhile while in PT6 or does it have to stay on what I have it to remain compatible? I'm at 1600*1024

Thanks
Old 11-06-2003, 10:33 AM

Default Re: Screen Resolution Question

I like to keep the same resolution all the time on my monitors. It seems that things seem to get a little messed up the sizes and stuff like that so I would rather not mess with it. Getting a monitor extension arm would of course be the most expensive way to fix your problem but it might be something worthwhile. I have been considering one for some time hoping that they would come down in price. If I find one that is $150 I am going to pick 2 up.

http://www.marathoncomputer.com/pixarm.html
Old 11-06-2003, 11:15 AM

I'm not sure what the "official" answer is but I have a client who is in EXACTLY the same situation,
Cinema 23 sitting on top of a C24. His whole rig has only been in service a couple of weeks. PT 6.2 on G4 Dual 1.2 mdd w/ HD3-one Accel card, one HD card. Early on, it was apparent he would not be comfortable with the monitor resolution Digi's instructions call for during setup. We changed it and, while there have been a few bumps and system freak outs, none have been traced back to the monitor resolution setting in OS 10.2.6. We have not done any extensive midi testing yet.
Old 11-06-2003, 02:13 PM

Get this. You can position your Cinema hanging above your C24 and push it back when not needed.
Old 11-10-2003, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Get this. You can position your Cinema hanging above your C24 and push it back when not needed.
Well that's about the coolest thing I've seen. Thanks for that link, I may actually buy this
Old 11-10-2003, 07:25 PM

Do a google search before you buy that exact unit. I've seen these for hundreds less. They are great. But marathon is expensive. There are a few companies that offer all sorts of options like this. Good luck.
Old 11-10-2003, 08:48 PM

Here's a feature that you might be able to use.

In OSX system Prefs,
I believe it's called Universal Access. (I'm not at the computer at this moment)
There's a setting in there that will allow you to zoom in the entire screen.
I think it's a 3key command to use. So it's slightly awkward, but prevents you from doing it accidently.
If have Quick keys, you can assign a single key to zoom in and another one to zoom out.
What is cool about this is that as you move the pointer, the screen will move so you can still get to everything. Probably not best if you're doing a lot of mousing around. Best for using small movements.
This is great for briefly reading the plugin list, or drawing automation,
you can zoom in pretty far. So far that the pointer fills the whole screen, (and then further)
You can also program in how far in you want to zoom on the first button press. Then smaller increments for each press after that. Same with zooming out.

Hope this helps
Old 11-10-2003, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Here's a feature that you might be able to use.

In OSX system Prefs,
I believe it's called Universal Access. (I'm not at the computer at this moment)
There's a setting in there that will allow you to zoom in the entire screen.
I think it's a 3key command to use. So it's slightly awkward, but prevents you from doing it accidently.
If have Quick keys, you can assign a single key to zoom in and another one to zoom out.
What is cool about this is that as you move the pointer, the screen will move so you can still get to everything. Probably not best if you're doing a lot of mousing around. Best for using small movements.
This is great for briefly reading the plugin list, or drawing automation,
you can zoom in pretty far. So far that the pointer fills the whole screen, (and then further)
You can also program in how far in you want to zoom on the first button press. Then smaller increments for each press after that. Same with zooming out.

Hope this helps

Now there's a cheaper solution! No kidding, will go look at this right now...

Thanks all!
Old 11-10-2003, 09:32 PM

Hey sorry to reply twice, but I gotta say, this Universal Access thing is about the coolest thing I've seen. Just great, perfect for what I need. Thanks so much for this tip...my eyes thank you.

Ain't the DUC great?