Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2011, 04:32 AM

Default Minor problem while saving a session

Hello, just a minor glitch but it drives me nuts anyway, I tried to search the forum but haven't found anything similar. Whenever I want to save a PT session (003, PT 9.0.1, OSX 10.6.5) I just hit command+s and a window always pops up saying "The disk copy of the session was changed since you last opened or saved it. Do you want to save anyway?" I just hit ok and everything works as expected, it's not an error message, session saves properly and I can continue working but I'm wondering what's going on. I know it's nothing serious and it doesn't take a log time to hit return key, so not a big deal really, but I'm curious.

I am on PT since version 5 and have never seen anything like that.

Thank you for the answer.

lumcas
Old 01-25-2011, 01:36 AM

Default Re: Minor problem while saving a session

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumcas View Post
Hello, just a minor glitch but it drives me nuts anyway, I tried to search the forum but haven't found anything similar. Whenever I want to save a PT session (003, PT 9.0.1, OSX 10.6.5) I just hit command+s and a window always pops up saying "The disk copy of the session was changed since you last opened or saved it. Do you want to save anyway?" I just hit ok and everything works as expected, it's not an error message, session saves properly and I can continue working but I'm wondering what's going on. I know it's nothing serious and it doesn't take a log time to hit return key, so not a big deal really, but I'm curious.

lumcas
Hi,

Command+S as always been "save as" and it will ask if you want to overwrite the currently saved version.

Not sure if you do!! but you should always save with an incremental save (song 1 / song 2 / song 3 etc) at least every 30 minutes, to sensibly work safe with auto back-ups, and to make sure you have a good working session to revert to.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 01-25-2011, 03:49 AM

Thank you Chris for your input, although it doesn't help much. Command+S has always been plain save command and it shouldn't ask you anything, just save the current session. There is "Save as" command right under the save command in the file menu and that's obviously different.

I've been working on many HD, LE rigs for years and have never encountered this behavior, you shold just hit save and move on.

Anyway. don't know if it helps, but here's the screen shot of the window

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8676181/Screenshot.jpg

The other suggestion - incremental save - saved my ass many times over the years. Good one!

Thank you again Chris.

lumcas
Old 01-25-2011, 12:44 PM

Quote:

lumcas
That is strange... command-s is hit hundreds of times an hour when I am working and I have never seen anything like that? Does this happen on all sessions?
Is your disk allocation having anything to do with it? I notice you are using a "copy" is why I ask.
Does it do it even after you do a "save as"?
hmmmmmm
Old 06-30-2011, 04:37 PM

Quote:

lumcas
I've had the exact same problem. I'm running PT HD 9.0.3 on Mac OSX 10.6.4. I'm guessing that you're running your session on a local drive. I've only seen the problem going to a Unity workspace. It hasn't prompted me if I'd like to save a new version since I saved when I work on a local drive. I'm guessing it's a bug. I wonder how many other people are experiencing the same problem.

J
Old 08-07-2019, 02:47 AM

Hi,

I found this old thread because I had the same problem with PT HD 12.7.1 on Windows 10.

Now I encountered that this happens when an other program is accessing the hard drive with the PT session on it (sorry for my bad English : )
In this case it was a program which makes automatically backups from my hard drives.

Maybe this helps someone.