Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Mac)

Old 05-06-2010, 08:00 PM

Unhappy Re: PT8 constant -6101 cpu issue - HELP!

Yup, I have my sound set to built-in for input and output.
Only using the profire for PT.

I found the log files, but not sure how to open them or post them.
What file do you use to open them?

I tried text edit, but it opened it with a lot of weird characters.

I'm going to go the mac store tomorrow just to verify everything is running on my machine, but I think it's fine. If if is and we can't find a fix I may have to give up on this one.

Thankfully I just borrowed a friend's MBP and his Mbox Micro with PT LE to finish bouncing a bunch of versions for a client. What I spent the last 5 hours trying to do with my set-up to no success I managed to finish on his in 30 minutes.
Old 05-08-2010, 11:35 AM

Default Re: PT8 constant -6101 cpu issue - HELP!

So I went back to the store last night and brought home a Fast Track Ultra 8R to split test with my Profire 2626.

I was actually able to work! The Profire 2626 gave me constant CPU overloads with no plug-ins up. It would even drop audio from time to time when I was just listening to iTunes using the 2626 as my internal audio.

The Fast Track Ultra8R seems to be working fine in Pro Tools which leads me to believe it's either something with my firewire ports or the Profire. My firewire drives work fine though so I don't think those are the issue. I even had gotten a firewire expresscard to ensure I was running on separate busses.

I guess I'm excited to have a working set-up, but am I losing any quality if I stick with the Fast Track Ultra 8R over the Profire (granted the Profire doesn't want to work with my set-up, but if in theory I got it working someday)? It seems they both use the same Octane pres and I think I lose some expandability, but I'm never really gone need more than 8 ins anyways.

Would the only difference then be firewire vs. USB?

I guess my real question is, since the Profire is a definite no with my system, if I stick with PTMP and the Ultra 8R, or if I take both M-audio interfaces back and go with a 003 set-up. I know this would be grounds for a new thread, but since anyone following this knows the history of the issues I thought it made sense.

I know the Ultra 8R still has the octane pres which I like so far and have heard they are better sounding than the 003. Perhaps in my head I still have this sense of Firewire interface being a better upgrade than USB, but guess there's not a definitive answer I've found to really support that.
Old 05-10-2010, 12:25 AM

@pitrow: My experience is that the 2626 works very well with every sequenzer software but PT.

As long as Digi won´t realize that the 6101 bug costs them reliability and are working on this issue, I´m not going to use any M-Powered or am spending money on upgrades anymore.

For me it´s a dead horse and wasted money (In fact I lost money cause I lost a client...).
Old 05-10-2010, 10:58 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitrow View Post
Yup, I have my sound set to built-in for input and output.
Only using the profire for PT.

I found the log files, but not sure how to open them or post them.
What file do you use to open them?

I tried text edit, but it opened it with a lot of weird characters.

I'm going to go the mac store tomorrow just to verify everything is running on my machine, but I think it's fine. If if is and we can't find a fix I may have to give up on this one.

Thankfully I just borrowed a friend's MBP and his Mbox Micro with PT LE to finish bouncing a bunch of versions for a client. What I spent the last 5 hours trying to do with my set-up to no success I managed to finish on his in 30 minutes.
You can't open the log files yourself. You should post them using any of the free file hosting services - YouSendIt, Whalemail, etc.

Just upload and post a link to the download in your reply.
Old 05-13-2010, 03:02 PM

So I took my MBP into the Mac Store for them to run a diagnostic. The Fast Track Ultra, while it worked better, still was giving me some CUP Overloads so that I'd have it checked out.

The check-up came back fine so according to them nothing wrong with the machine. Although he did mention that since I had some aftermarket RAM in there, even though it checks out fine, can be a potential issue.

So I went ahead and took that out, reinstalled everything, repaired permissions, and was able to do a small session last night using the 2626. This was the first time it ever worked for me. I did get an occasional error, but if I increased the buffer or disabled some tracks this usually fixed while before once I got an error it was done.

I'm going to run it through a more intense session tonight and see how it does. My 30 day return window for the 2626 is up on Saturday so am hoping to come to a solution before then.

Will also post log files should I encounter an error.

Thanks for all the input/guidance/assistance.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:46 AM

So after 6 weeks of trouble shooting I had tried the following in all possible combinations:
- Multiple clean installs of Mac OS (10.5 and 10.6)
- Multiple clean installs of PTMP 8
- Every possible combination/order of connecting Profire 2626 and a Lacie external firewire drive to my Mac Book Pro., including 400 to 800 cables, daisy chaining, and a separate SIIG firewire express card.
- Did all the standard fixes (reset SMC, zap PRAM, trash preferences, repair hard drive, etc.)
- Tried different memory configurations using different memory chips to ensure there was no bad memory.
- Had my MBP checked out my Apple to make sure nothing was going on with it behind the scenes.
- Tried multiple versions of the Profire Driver.
- I even brough home a Fast Trak Ultra 8R to test

Despite all these different combinations, I was never able to finish a single session without 6101 error in Pro Tools, or my device (2626 or Fast Track) losing connection in Garageband or Logic. Maybe my computer just doesn't like M-audio devices.

So I took both interfaces back and got the 003 Rack I had originally planned on before the sales guy talked me into the 2626. Low and behold...it works! Yeah, those few instances the 2626 worked I really liked how the mic pres sounded, but if I can't finish a session, it doesn't really matter how great they sound.

Here's to having a stable system again. I guess in my case, the cheaper price on the M-Audio set-up was a classic case of you get what you pay for.
Only problem now is they wouldn't return the M-Powered software which I understand, but also feel that since they talked me out of what I now have into buying the software/interface combo that never worked, good customer service would've been to make an exception.

In the end I ended up spending about $350 more for my 003 setup than I would have had I'd gone with my gut originally but you live and learn I guess.
Old 06-15-2010, 11:01 AM
Avid

I think I may have a lead on possible causes for this error.

Have any of you been removing any of the Mbox 2 or Eleven Rack preference panes, which are installed by default, from your system?

If so - that will cause this error. What's happening is the launch daemon is looking for that preference pane and not finding it, so it will continually be relaunching and using up CPU time. Also it will be writing to the system log file and taking up addition CPU time.

If you encounter a 6101, immediate launch Activity Monitor and look at which processes are taking up the most CPU - do you see 'syslog' in there?

Also, you can launch the Console app and click on the 'Show Log List' in the upper left (unless the log list is already shown). Look for the system.log (under Files) in the left panel and click on it - you may see it continually writing to the log with info about trying to find one of the missing preference panes.

To resolve this issue - if you don't want the preference panes, besides removing the pane, you need to remove the Launch Daemon for the preference pane, located at:

/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.digidesign.xxx.helper.plist (where 'xxx' is the devices preference pane you want removed - for instance 'elevenrack')

If you see other info in Console or Activity Monitor other than what I'm describing, please let me know!
Old 06-15-2010, 11:17 AM

I have not removed any item installed by the PT installation, including the Digidesign Eleven Rack preference pane (even though the message "device not connected" appears when I open it).

I don't have any Mbox control panels / preference panes...I use a FW 1814 which has its own app.

For the record, although it still happens to me from time to time, I've been able to minimize the occurrences of 6101 errors somewhat by unchecking the "ignore errors during playback..." setting in addition to continually throttling the H/W buffer size.
Old 06-15-2010, 11:38 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcrooks View Post
I have not removed any item installed by the PT installation, including the Digidesign Eleven Rack preference pane (even though the message "device not connected" appears when I open it).

I don't have any Mbox control panels / preference panes...I use a FW 1814 which has its own app.

For the record, although it still happens to me from time to time, I've been able to minimize the occurrences of 6101 errors somewhat by unchecking the "ignore errors during playback..." setting in addition to continually throttling the H/W buffer size.
If you encounter another 6101, can you do the above checks with Activity Monitor and Console and let us know what you're seeing? It will help immensely in determining the cause...
Old 06-15-2010, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
If you encounter another 6101, can you do the above checks with Activity Monitor and Console and let us know what you're seeing? It will help immensely in determining the cause...
Will do...I've got several days of video editing before I get back to PT, but I'll let you know when it happens again.

Thanks for the attention.