Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2003, 08:12 AM

Default Dragging/jumping cursor/timer while playback

Just installed PT/LE 6.01 Mbox on 400Mhz/800RAM OS 10.2.6 and noticed the cursor or timer cannot keep up with the audio. I've adjusted HD/DAE Buffers, CPU usage, etc., with no luck. Any suggestions?
Old 07-03-2003, 09:02 AM

Default Re: Dragging/jumping cursor/timer while playback

A 400mhz G4 doesn't really have a good enough video card to keep up with OSX, especially not when a processor hungry application like protools is running. You may want to consider getting a new video card, upgrading your processor or both.
Old 07-03-2003, 09:45 AM

Slim's got a point. Or two...

I too have an aged /"vintage" G4 400 AGP. I opted for a modest Powerlogix G4 1ghz upgrade, and I'm simply amazed. The processor upgrade will definitely help more than a new video card. Your machine is an AGP G4 - correct? Not a Yikes?

I've got a Digi001 and I tried this Dave C thing again last night and got about 20 tracks. Which, btw,is something I personally will never attempt. But I thought I'd give it a whirl. My conclusion was that the test was a bit of self indulgent wankery and quite ridiculous for what I do, so I moved on to something a bit more ordinary. Say 24 tracks with a plug on each, maybe a master fader with an Waves L1. It works flawlessly.

Also, by the grace of some god / goddess, I have yet to encounter one issue with PT6 / OSX. (Well, ok I tried installing it on 10.2 and had no midi input. but once I actually read the friggin' giant sticker on the upgrade box "10.2.3 OR LATER", all has been well.) No crashes, no unexpected quits. Hell, I even managed to create my XML patchlists for my unsupported synths... and they work!

So your draggin / jumping cursor/ timer deal shouldn't be an issue once you get a new processor or machine.

Good luck,
Henry Lee
Old 07-03-2003, 11:08 AM

Actually, it's the vintage G400/PCI. However, I have a Radeon 7000 card installed and I'm able to run DVD Studio Pro and Premiere on Jaguar without a single problem. Also, my DVDs play just fine. I really don't want to spend $900.00 or $1.000.00 on a processor upgrade...the machine is simply too old to spend that much. Maybe I'll go back to run PT on OS 9 but I'm not going to spend more money just for PT 6.
Old 07-03-2003, 07:04 PM

Thanks guys. I'd rather wait for the G5s too. After my last post I find out in the compatibility page that PT LE 6.0 DOES NOT support G4 PCI only AGP. So, that you have it. I should have read that before I upgraded. I can't believe Digi did that whereas Apple and Adobe were more considerate of our PCI machines. Thanks the suggestions anyway!
Old 07-04-2003, 12:51 AM

Louis,

Totally hear ya... my AGP barely makes the cut. If it were
a Yikes, I'd be looking for something like a used Quicksilver to hold me over until the G5 transition is reality. That's the
leap I've been waiting for.

Also, the 1ghx Powerlogix upgrade was $399. If hasn't already, it will probably go down in price even more.

Henry Lee