Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2006, 02:06 PM

Default Can I get look-ahead mute automation?

I am running M-Powered 7.1 (no luck yet on that forum) and prefer to use the trim tool to put in mute automation. It draws the mute exactly around my audio clip (which I like), but I hear the first bit of audio from the clip. This is, of course, dependent on my buffer size. I was wondering if there were some way to do look-ahead mute automation so that I can continue using the trim tool to mute things. I like how quick and precise that is.

Am I just going to have to draw mutes a quarter second before my sound clips so that the beginning doesn't get buffered?

Thanks,

Sean
Old 10-27-2006, 02:44 PM

Default Re: Can I get look-ahead mute automation?

Why not simply lift out the unwanted audio? (As in highlighting and deleting it in any other mode as shuffle mode)

You can trim it back whenever you need it.

Bastiaan
Old 10-27-2006, 03:55 PM

Because in this particular case I don't want to. I want to use mute automation.

Okay, so it isn't really that important, but when I work on a cue (I am doing sound design, not music) sometimes I like to bounce several versions to compare. One quick way of doing that is using mute automation... I can use other methods if need be.

But muting is there, so I thought, why not figure out how to use it better?

EDIT: Oh, I get what you are saying! Well, that makes it two steps which defeats the purpose. Since volume automation works the way I am describing, why not mute automation?
Old 10-28-2006, 04:48 PM

Because it has the delay in it. The delay you are experiencing is the hardware buffer size delay wich dep[ends on the delay you set yourself. To avoid those problems its easier to remove the audio alltogether as to work with automation of the faders or the mute button. It would be handier if it would work with the mute button but it simply isnt.... so try to work around it and removing the audio is working around it i think.

Bastiaan
Old 10-29-2006, 07:45 AM
Space Cabin Audio

If you want to use mute auto, why not use Strip Silence and set your start and end pads so they give the desired region size.
CNTRL + U and highlight the track. STRIP
It is in essence though doing what everyone else has said and taking out the undesired audio, and is WAY faster than writing in Mute Auto.

Kris
May the music move you
Old 10-29-2006, 10:57 AM

another couple things, just hilight the area you want to mute and the trim tool will mute it still.

also a lot of times if i need to quickly mute a breath or word or something is in focus command mode, just hilight region, hit b to cut it and cntrl+m to mute it. typically quicker for me than automating mutes and the region is still visible, and cntrl+m again to unmute it.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 10-29-2006, 01:16 PM

Quote:
another couple things, just hilight the area you want to mute and the trim tool will mute it still.

also a lot of times if i need to quickly mute a breath or word or something is in focus command mode, just hilight region, hit b to cut it and cntrl+m to mute it. typically quicker for me than automating mutes and the region is still visible, and cntrl+m again to unmute it.
This would be the advice that I would give also...
Old 10-30-2006, 09:18 PM

Been trying them out and these suggestions are perfect... Just what I was looking for. Thanks!