Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2016, 09:03 PM

Default Re: Right-angle Lightning cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Can you play your synth with your feet while punching in with your watch? Or maybe you could take the watch off, put it on top of the keyboard and smack it with you forehead when you want to punch in. Either way please post a photo of yourself doing this and we'll let you know it it looks idiotic or not.
Grow up, dude.

This is supposed to be a civilized forum, I don't think that kind of childish language and tone like yours has any place here.

Read what I said again. A couple of simple controls on the watch is no crazier than having a transport control on your iphone, which is not so uncommon for musicians that want to have certain adjustments away from the control room.
Old 05-30-2016, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertg View Post
Grow up, dude.

This is supposed to be a civilized forum, I don't think that kind of childish language and tone like yours has any place here.

Read what I said again. A couple of simple controls on the watch is no crazier than having a transport control on your iphone, which is not so uncommon for musicians that want to have certain adjustments away from the control room.
How can I make it any clearer it is a blatantly stupid idea. More than worth making fun of. And your example is comical, how the hell do you use it while playing a keyboard? We've got punch in foot controls, they work great. As for remote iPad surfaces, I use them all the time, much different than fumbling with a tiny idiotic watch. If you say dumb stuff expect it to be made fun of.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 05-30-2016 at 09:22 PM.
Old 05-30-2016, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
How can I make it any clearer it is a blatantly stupid idea. More than worth making fun of. And your example is comical, how the hell do you use it while playing a keyboard? We've got punch in foot controls, they work great. As for remote iPad surfaces, I use them all the time, much different than fumbling with a tiny idiotic watch. If you say dumb stuff expect it to be made fun of.
By momentarily lifting one of your hands off the keys to press record? Like the way people normally reach for a control surface?

Jesus Christ. How thick can a person be. Not everyone uses foot pedals for this purpose.

And what if you have a room full of keyboards? There are supposed to be pedals under each one? Holy crap, just stop talking.
Old 05-30-2016, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertg View Post
By momentarily lifting one of your hands off the keys to press record? Like the way people normally reach for a control surface?

Jesus Christ. How thick can a person be. Not everyone uses foot pedals for this purpose.

And what if you have a room full of keyboards? There are supposed to be pedals under each one? Holy crap, just stop talking.
You can also use a smart watch as a motion sensing panner.

And actually, the new Neyrinck apps are only native on iOS.

You could even use a smart watch to engage your brain before posting.... ;-)

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

i7 5820k 6 x 4GHz (12 threads), 16GB DDR4, Win 10 Pro, BM Mini Monitor PCIe, GTX 660Ti 2GB;

Dell Laptop, i7 4x3.6GHz (8 threads ), 16GB DDR4, Win 10 Pro, GTX1060MaxQ 6GB;

"Plan B" - i7 6700k, 4 x 3.4GHz, 16GB DDR4, Sierra, AJA Kona LHi, GTX 1050Ti 4GB.

RME FireFace802 + ARC, RME Babyface

Avid D-Command, Artist Control, V-Control, Korg MicroKontrol

7.1.2 Presonus Monitors
Old 05-31-2016, 01:26 AM

Back on topic. I got an angled cable and it still does not fit. Less ugly, but still a total utter fiasco. Avid must find or design a cable that works or make a cavity/recess in the Dock to actually accommodate/make room for the cable. What the hell were they thinking?

Phone +46707773443
Old 05-31-2016, 06:25 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldStudios View Post
Back on topic. I got an angled cable and it still does not fit. Less ugly, but still a total utter fiasco. Avid must find or design a cable that works or make a cavity/recess in the Dock to actually accommodate/make room for the cable. What the hell were they thinking?
Hi Guys,

The riser included with the Dock is designed to be used with the iPad Mini in order to make it more ergonomic. When the lightning cable is connected to the iPad Mini, it easily passes through the cable cutout on either side of the Dock. We chose to include this riser so that the ergonomics are good with iPad Mini and no additional purchase is required. But, we know there is nothing preventing an iPad 9.7" user from using the iPad Mini riser even though that was not what it was designed for. So, we've suggested using a right-angled cable to better keep the cable out of the way. And to be clear, when the iPad Mini Riser is not used with an iPad 9.7", the standard lightning cable (included with each iPad) easily passes through the cable cutout.
Berkeley, CA
Old 05-31-2016, 09:49 PM

Cable cutout? I can not get it to fit. Please provide detailed instructions, and a picture.

Phone +46707773443
Old 05-31-2016, 09:50 PM

And thanks for replying. :)

Phone +46707773443
Old 06-01-2016, 04:16 AM

OK. So, I tried today with a cheap 3rd party cable and that worked. I don't know if the cable I had was original or not, but it was actually bulkier, so the solution for iPad Air is to try different cables but absolutely NOT an angled one.

The cutout could have been more roomy, for sure. It still looks like the connector is stressed somewhat and I fear it might break eventually or - worse damage the lightning connector on the iPad.

iPad Mini, sure, an angled cable probably does look better. Who whats mine? ;D

Phone +46707773443
Old 06-01-2016, 07:50 AM

To get back to the discussion, here some pictures of my "few hours ago arrived Dock with iPad Air 2", with mini-riser and Belkin mixit angled cable. Not bad at all for now, still need to use it for some time to give it real life experience.
1. global picture
2. iPad in the middle
3. iPad moved to the most left position to gain more space for the two top left knobs.

Cheers, Nenad
Attached Images
File Type: jpg global pict.JPG (85.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg middle pos.JPG (78.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg left pos.JPG (84.2 KB, 0 views)