Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020

Old 12-11-2020, 12:39 PM

Default Re: So, no renewal. We stay at 2020.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasp_t12 View Post
great post.

Avid has traded on being the industry standard for years. But changes to industry standards DO happen. The number of people I see migrating from PT to Reaper is amazing to me. Personally I'd rather lock to a legacy PT version rather than jump ship at least for now, but the fact that so many people are seeking alternatives, which in many cases have worse ergonomics/interface shows that something is seriously wrong.

People saying 'if you dont need it dont buy' - you're utterly missing the point. If enough people don't buy, the app will eventually die. Then it'll be a big problem for you too.
Wasp, I must say I agree with every post and response you have posted in this thread. I have read every one of them and your thinking is sound and true. I’m not drinking the cool aid that’s being passed around here! When it comes to Avid’s business practice’s, well it is what it is and no one in there right mind should be defending it. I just don’t get why some take it personal and become apologetic on Avid’s behalf. What is that all about? I mean it’s not like many of the complaints here are not justified. We all are customers right? Maybe not! Maybe some people here are actually something else. I could see if it was a new found broblem but many of these complaints have been going on for years unresolved and the customer has a right to voice his or her opinion about it without being pounced on and ganged up on.
Old 12-11-2020, 01:03 PM

avid is cheap compared to the other crap I need to pay for every year.
Avid: 1 renewal. 400 bucks.

Adobe CC: 2 systems. one at my studio and one at home. $1920 per year

Borris effects: 2 systems. $2600 per year

red giant: 2 systems. $2400 per year

count our avid blessings.... lol.
Old 12-11-2020, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arche3 View Post
avid is cheap compared to the other crap I need to pay for every year.
Avid: 1 renewal. 400 bucks.

Adobe CC: 2 systems. one at my studio and one at home. $1920 per year

Borris effects: 2 systems. $2600 per year

red giant: 2 systems. $2400 per year

count our avid blessings.... lol.
Yeah, 400 bucks a year for ultimate updates is reasonable. Freezing your license in place if you stop paying them is where the BS starts.
Old 12-11-2020, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teej View Post
Yeah, 400 bucks a year for ultimate updates is reasonable. Freezing your license in place if you stop paying them is where the BS starts.
+1
Old 12-11-2020, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emi View Post
+1

Make that 2.
PT 2021.10 HDX 16x24 -Mac Pro 12 Cores 48 GB RAM OS 10.13.6 - API 16 channel - AMS Neve 16 channel, AMS-Neve-SSL -Pres/Processing, Bock Audio, BLUE Bottle, Neumann, Josephson -Mics, Bogner, Kemper- Guitar, Chandler Zener-Curve Bender Outboard/Master. UAudio, Waves, Plugin Alliance etc.
Old 12-11-2020, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Lie View Post
Make that 2.
Plus infinity.

I prefer Waves strategy and it was this way with avid years ago. If you laps your Waves WUP, you can just let if go for years and then re-WUP for $250'sh and get everything all over again and all the new stuff/versions and updates and new plugs that was added to Mercury for a whole year. I use to do this with Avid. had PT 5 and then a few later got PT 7.2.4 which was ROCK solid, then PT9 came out with some necessary, then PT11 for the 64 bit hybrid and was content. Then when 2019 came out with extra 128 voices (EPIC feature) jumped on that and always paid the $300’sh price every few years but this time around for 2019 when the rules changed, had to pay the reinstatement plan (AVID had a sale few years ago for $599) and now to stay current and not my usual needs of upgrading ever few years, I have to pay the $400 rate, but the issue is…. Waves has their yearly, iZotope has their yearly or new version of MPS and PPS each one $299. Then there’s ACON updates, and a host of others. Now that $400 that YOU HAVE to pay or else pay for a full new version adds up to a few thousand every single year. I purchased another re-instatement plan just for incase if I lapse, then I would stay that what ever perpetual version for years and years until something EPIC comes out again that makes business sense, i.e. Multiple bins, another extra 128 tracks, ability to have different track sizes in MIX exactly like in EDIT (instead of regular or mini only).
-HD Omni
-BM Intensity Pro

-Waves Mercury+SSL4000 Collection+Abbey Roads
-iZotope RX10 Advanced
-iZotope Post Production Suite 6
-iZotope Music Production Suite 5
-HALO UP/DOWN MIX
-ANYMIX
-Delonghi Perfecta ESAM 5600.S
Old 12-12-2020, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rampartthemovie View Post
Yep, and just like the millions of threads like this every year, we have one of YOU in here. The typical "whelmmm mhmmm if you dont need it dont use it" or "just dont use it"! Wow, thanks guy! What a revelation! "Just dont use it" I can't believe we've finally found the answer to life!

"Just keep paying 199", another BS statement, you know for a fact they doubled that out of nowhere and removed reinstatement to really screw over the perpetual customers. "Hey guys, just pay the double, the practices dont matter. Just dont use it then!" So if your bills doubled, I can just go ahead and say "don't use" whatever you're paying for then? We have no right to complain about doubling prices and removing plans to get back in updates? Huge apologist mindset, happens everytime in these threads.
I'm not sure who you think you're ranting at if you think my post was apologist. Perhaps read it again without the red mist?

The point is - Avid don't listen to us. They have no rep on the boards here, they don't want to engage with the community. Financially this is working for them. End of. I hate that too.

FWIW - if the community wants to achieve something constructive about the situation, it is going to have to think beyond 3 DUC rant threads a year and somehow get organised.

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 12-12-2020, 11:49 AM

It's 400 bucks. There should not even be a thread about this. This place should be a forum for technical issues. Or best practices for working.

The op thread is fine. Just the griping in this thread is not really helpful for this forum.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Old 12-12-2020, 02:12 PM

The price for renewing a PT standard perpetual license update/support plan is $199
That is not BS that is a fact.

Yes discounted reinstatement plans are discontinued. Disappointing as a customer but not unheard of, from a business point of view
BUT if someone thinks that was " intended" as an a pricing inducement to encourage perpetual license users to stay annual , as opposed to opting out for a few years then getting back in at discount, And that Avid's "intention" is much more likely an attempt to generate a more steady revenue flow. AS opposed to being "intended" to simply "screw over perpetual customers". Such a view is not being an Apologist it is being a realist, the Apologist accusation is the actual BS .

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...

Last edited by K Roche; 12-12-2020 at 02:35 PM.
Old 12-12-2020, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Roche View Post
Yes discounted reinstatement plans are discontinued. Disappointing as a customer ...
I objected (euphemism) in late 2019 when Avid announced the impending price-hike - especially around Christmas when bucks are always tighter than normal - but, reluctantly grabbed some Reinstatements at the old price.
I guess some warning is better than no warning at all.

On a PR level, 6 months warning would have been cool -
"Gonna need a pay-rise
Rent's gone up" ©

For those whose work demands reinstatement, you can still buy Avid 1-Year Updates + Support for Pro Tools Reinstatements, for both Ultimate and Standard (Vanilla), at the “new” price:

Alto Music – US $299 Avid Annual Upgrade Reinstatement Plan for Pro Tools (non-HD)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Avid-Annual...-/291844464881

Alto Music – US $999 Avid Annual Upgrade Plan Ultimate Reinstatement for Pro Tools
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Avid-Annual...YAAOSwLLRfPY7i

Vintage King US $299 - Avid 1-Year Updates + Support for Pro Tools Reinstatement
https://vintageking.com/avid-annual-...-for-pro-tools

Vintage King US $999 - Avid 1-Year Updates + Support for Pro Tools | Ultimate Reinstatement
https://vintageking.com/avid-annual-...t-pro-tools-hd

Sweetwater US $999 - Avid 1-year Updates + Support for Pro Tools | Ultimate Perpetual License Expired Plan
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...e-expired-plan
Pro Tools Studio 2024.3 * SSL UC-1 * Digidesign Command 8 * TECH 21 SansAmp 2.0 * Xvive U3 2.4Ghz Wireless Microphone * Shure SM57 & Rode NT2-A * Fender 30 & Champ 12 valve amps * M-Audio Axiom Pro 49 * PreSonus Speakers & Monitor Station V2 * Lenovo W520 laptop Type 427637U (32 GB RAM) with extra-Ports Dock + SSDs: 2 @ Samsung T5 + 1 @ Samsung T7 * 3 Screens: 15.6” Laptop + 24” BENQ GL2450-B + Samsung 27” CT550 curved Monitor * best Wife!

Last edited by unkJE; 12-12-2020 at 09:42 PM. Reason: updated info