Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 07-30-2020, 09:55 PM

Default Windows 10 Key - Alternative Marketplaces

2 part question - I'm looking on Kinguin for cheap Windows 10 keys.

1.) Is a key from kinguin going to be as legit/bug free as a key directly from microsoft?

2.) Whats the difference between a Windows 10 OEM key and a Windows 10 online activation key?

To my understanding these "cheaper" keys are just as good/not frowned upon by microsoft and are usually sourced from marketplaces with a surplus of keys?
Old 07-31-2020, 12:03 AM

Default Re: Windows 10 Key - Alternative Marketplaces

I think OEM keys are supposed to be sold with a computer. Pretty sure a key is a key, they all unlock the full software the same.
Old 07-31-2020, 04:37 AM

An OEM key will likely work, however it would be "grey market". As mentioned OEM keys are only supposed to be sold with a computer, by a computer manufacturer, not separately.

Microsoft was allowing free upgrades from Windows 7+ to Windows 10, you could just enter your old Windows key in when prompted during Windows 10 install. As far as I know this still works, just FYI..

Joel

Home:
Asus B450 Pro4 / Ryzen 5 2600 / 32GB RAM / Win 11 Pro
Pro Tools HD / Focusrite 18i20 + M-Audio ProFire 2626

Rig:
Eleven Rack / ART SLA1 / Two 2x10 Passive Monitors / FCB1010 w/ EurekaPROM
Old 07-31-2020, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelG View Post
An OEM key will likely work, however it would be "grey market". As mentioned OEM keys are only supposed to be sold with a computer, by a computer manufacturer, not separately.

Microsoft was allowing free upgrades from Windows 7+ to Windows 10, you could just enter your old Windows key in when prompted during Windows 10 install. As far as I know this still works, just FYI..

Joel
Ive never actually had a windows 10 key before. Im coming from MAC so this will be my first PC build.

I figured out the difference between OEM and online activation - now my only question is whether or not these discounted keys are a worthwhile choice or not. I mean, I know they are...but where is the best place to get them in order to avoid any fraud concerns?
Old 07-31-2020, 05:24 PM

Buy a legitimate license from Microsoft. This is a small amount of money to take risks over.
Old 07-31-2020, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBK View Post
...this will be my first PC build...
It appears OEM may now be legit for those assembling their own PC:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...b-0f0b4bb454f9

"The software company shall not prevent the further sale of its license, and usage of its software, including OEM, DSP and ESD versions. The software company’s copyright is exhausted when its software has been sold for the first time. The individual sale of Volume License and the trading of online transferable licenses are permitted. (C-128/11., EU 2001/29/EG, 28., 2009/24/EK)

OEM Software
Microsoft's Distribution Agreement for System Builders states that the system builder software packs are not intended for distribution to end users unless the end users are acting as system builders by assembling their own PCs. A "system builder" is anyone who assembles, reassembles or installs software on a new or used computer system. This product does not infringe on any copyright, trademark, or any other rights, or any of eBay's listing policies or spam policies."

QuickTime:
Use a Custom install = only install QuickTime Essentials, as outlined here:
https://www.pro-tools-pc.com/apple-q...security-risk/

Also:
https://www.pro-tools-pc.com/windows...ng-phone-home/

https://www.pro-tools-pc.com/data-co...-phone-home-2/
Old 08-02-2020, 01:00 PM

I think the OS needs to be purchased with applicable hardware - ie. if you purchae a MB, CPU and RAM you might be legitimately able to purchase an OEM copy of Windows.

Joel

Home:
Asus B450 Pro4 / Ryzen 5 2600 / 32GB RAM / Win 11 Pro
Pro Tools HD / Focusrite 18i20 + M-Audio ProFire 2626

Rig:
Eleven Rack / ART SLA1 / Two 2x10 Passive Monitors / FCB1010 w/ EurekaPROM
Old 08-02-2020, 01:38 PM

I usually get them from eBay for $10 - $30

Just make sure the seller is legit and has feedback.

You can get a legit key with a DVD for around $30

I personally wouldn't use the DVD since it's probably out of date.
You can always create your own install media here
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10

Or just use the DVD and update, no big deal either way.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 08-02-2020, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Buy a legitimate license from Microsoft. This is a small amount of money to take risks over.
It was my understanding that these 'cheaper' keys are legitimate? They are just surplus keys from various countries that sell them cheaper?

I hear about the Ebay route quite a bit, and have no doubt that it obviously works. But with that being said I am a bit skeptical about Ebay, I am inclined to use a reputable third party supplier though. I didn't realize Microsoft charges 200 dollars Canadian for a key, even Amazon only charges 100. Surely Amazon must be a reputable option?
Old 08-02-2020, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBK View Post
It was my understanding that these 'cheaper' keys are legitimate? They are just surplus keys from various countries that sell them cheaper?

I hear about the Ebay route quite a bit, and have no doubt that it obviously works. But with that being said I am a bit skeptical about Ebay, I am inclined to use a reputable third party supplier though. I didn't realize Microsoft charges 200 dollars Canadian for a key, even Amazon only charges 100. Surely Amazon must be a reputable option?
If you buy one and you don't get scammed... yes they can be legitimate.... but will come with restrictions about moving the licenses once you have activated it. And you can't get end-user support from Microsoft. I have no idea if that matters to you... assuming you actually get a System Builder licenses and don't get ripped off. If you want to go that way.. meh Ebay is a software licensing sewer so if you have a better way I'd do that.

But all this hassle... for most people I would spend $199 and buy a copy of Windows 10 Pro (not Home) on Microsoft's web site. And you can move that around later if needed (personally that does matter to me... I've moved my Windows 10 licenses several times including between virtual machines, different physical machines etc.