Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2008, 11:16 AM

Default Pro Tools Critically Low on Memory & End of Stream Session Corruption

Any advice appreciated. I think this might be header corruption, maybe Rail Jon Rogut could offer some insight if around?

I was using Pro Tools 7.4cs5 with a 48K session on ext 1394 Glyph drive Mac OS Extended Journaled, 48 tracks very little automation, but lots of edits, just playing back audio when I got "Pro Tools is critically low on memory and must quit, press OK"

Pressed OK now the session won't open. I get "Could not complete the open recent session command because end of stream encountered". Tried 2 machines, 2 drives, import session data and always get end of stream error.

Strangely, there are no backups in the backups folder. Yet this is a global setting that has worked on all sessions so far.

Help! Any ideas on what could have caused the problem in the first place and is there a utility to repair the header of this session??

Session was an OMF from another studio that had QT video in it.
PT HD3, 4x 192 I/Os, D-Control , Mojo SDI, Ceder DNS 2000
Intel Xeon 6130 2ghz 3gb
HD3 pci-X in expansion HD
Old 08-13-2008, 05:07 PM

ANyone?
Old 08-14-2008, 08:46 AM

Hi End of stream,
I've had this problem. It happens to me when I have mix sessions that are and hour of tv program (44 min). 1/2 hour or 22 min work very well. If you open the task manager and watch the PF usage, you will see it increase over time. When it reaches 1.6 gigs or so, bam, you're screwed and hit with this message. I've stumbled onto a easy work around. I found all you have to do to reset the PF to a lower ,normal, level is to drag and drop an audio file from the desktop into PT. You can go on working for another three hours or so and then you will have to do this again to reset the PF usage. I guess this is a memory leak. Hope this helps.
Best,
Brandon
Old 08-14-2008, 08:48 AM
Avid

This may occur in sessions created without Mac/PC compatibility engaged that have been copied from a Mac OS X machine to a drive formatted FAT 32 (MS-DOS), and then back to the macintosh hard drive.

Is this possibly the case here?
Old 08-14-2008, 10:42 AM

don't mean to hijak your thread end of stream. digi i think you may be on to something with the sessions coming from mac to pc. some sessions i work with are always going back and forth and there always seems to be some type of problem whenever i work with these sessions.not all but when the problems do happen they are a nightmare
i will check to see if the mac to pc box is being checked. some of the sessions were started pre protools 7. i will look into this to see if that may be my issue
Old 08-14-2008, 10:44 AM

It's a possibility, the session came as an OMF from an Avid system. It was being a bothersome session the whole time and seemed to be difficult to work with before this total loss of work happened.
Old 08-14-2008, 11:19 AM
Avid

A little more info on this:

Copying a session that does not have Mac/PC compatibility enabled onto a non-macintosh formatted hard drive drive strips the resource fork from the session file. The file will be missing vital data that can only be recovered by going back to the original session file before it was copied to the drive.

Sessions that have been corrupted in this way are not recoverable, however, AIFF and WAV audio files may still be intact and contain time stamp data which may aid in reconstructing the session.

More information may be found here: http://www.macdisk.com/macforken.php3

Regarding the OMF - was this ever sent over a network, or been on an MS-DOS drive? If you're sending over a network, it's always a good idea to zip the files, that way the resource forks are 'hidden' and can't be stripped.

Another thing with OMF's from Avid - did they make sure to remove all offline regions from the timeline before creating the OMF?
Old 08-14-2008, 11:23 AM
Avid

One last note - the Mac/PC compatibility option was only available prior to version 7 - higher versions have it integrated automatically.
Old 08-23-2008, 09:15 AM

I too have had this problem, and believe that in my case it was down to the AAF that I received from an AVID. I've recently been bogged down with similar issues with OMF parsing errors when media from the AVID does not hold enough location data. To avoid problems I remove any regions from the playlist and region list which have not llinked to their media as soon as i import the AAF. This seems to head off the problem.
Old 08-23-2008, 10:18 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Lock View Post
I too have had this problem, and believe that in my case it was down to the AAF that I received from an AVID. I've recently been bogged down with similar issues with OMF parsing errors when media from the AVID does not hold enough location data. To avoid problems I remove any regions from the playlist and region list which have not llinked to their media as soon as i import the AAF. This seems to head off the problem.
Absolutely - remind anyone creating OMF/AAF to remove any offline regions before creating the OMF/AAF to avoid possible problems like this.