Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2003, 08:36 PM

Default I\'m LOVING my Reason!!!

Hey all,
Here's a happy story.

In OS9 I used (or wanted to) PTLE 5.x.x, Battery and the Drumkit from Hell sample library. The problem was my G4 450/1gb RAM couldn't handle the full DKFH so I ended up only using a few samples and no layers. why bother I thought!! Anxiety and frustration set in.......

I've been slowly upgrading to OSX over the last 7 months and got my PTLE 6.x.x. despite the fact that I thought in the back of my mind that there was no way I was EVER going to be able to run Protools and a soft sampler and the DKFH in X.

I FINALLY broke down and bought Reason after finding out there was an ad on for DKFH which included mappings for the NN-XT sampler. And now PTLE 6.1 with rewire support.

Installed it Friday. It ROCKS!!! and the amazing news is that I can now use the full DKFH. I mean HOLLY CR@P
it's all running perfect (ALL WEEKEND) AND I MEAN I PUSHED IT!!
The down side is that I can't load up on plugins due to my processor size but with Battery my computer was gacking every 15 minutes. when it comes time for mixing I'll bounce all the reason stuff as separate audio anyway.
Also my meters are a bit sluggish in X....but I'd rather trade off that for the luxury of being able to use the full DKFH as well as all the trick features of Reason IN Protools with my guitars plugged in.
this opens up new creative possibilities in a big way!!

I guess the point of this thread is that there is hope for us with smaller CPU's who have been concerned about going completely OSX. It's not going to be as "snappy" as OS9 was, but at least we can move forward with the rest of the digi world!!! maybe in a few weeks I'll start thinking about a CPU upgrade card but for now I can get by and get composing!

Thanks Digi and Props and especially you DUC members whos never ending threads on Reason and OSX send me shopping in the right direction.

Peace all,
Jeff
Old 07-21-2003, 08:45 PM

Default Re: I\'m LOVING my Reason!!!

Glad you like it Jeff!!!!! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Yeah on my G4/400 I can run a close AND room kit at the same time!!!!!!!
I'm digging that V7000 for reverb on the snare!!!
Waiting for my upgrade card.........

Just wait until DFH II!!!!!!!
Awww...the never ending money pit!!!! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-21-2003, 08:54 PM

Tell me about it!!
Imagine my surprise when my system handled 20 tracks of audio as well as the Close AND Room kit playing Lunatic from Hell at 300 BPM(!!!!!) as well as a couple Vintage Warmer comps and some DR EQ's set to loop for about 20 minutes.

Let me know how you like the upgrade card....I'm thinking about the 1.2 but I'm hoping they'll drop in price once the G5's hits the shelves
Old 07-22-2003, 12:10 AM

Hi guys.

I've just installed Reason 2 on my OSX/PT6.1 drive and wasn't expecting to be able to do much with both apps running together on my G4/400. I was really just curious to see if my CPU was capable of doing it.

I opened a session I'm working on at present which uses Reason sounds and was previously running with Reason running on my PC sync'd and networked to my Mac.
Well, what a pleasant surprise. Protools and Reason run happily together. Admittedly the screen redraws are a little slow but the midi timing and audio are rock solid. The session uses a handful of Waves plugins (A couple of Ren bass's, Ren EQ, Metaflanger) and a couple of Digirack plugs. The Reason rack has a mixer, two NN-XT samplers, a Subtractor synth and a Redrum. Everything has been rock solid so far (I've been working solidly on this session for the past eight hours).

This combination is such a time saver over my previous setup. No need to export files from Reason, network them to my Mac and import the audio to Protools. This got especially tedious whenever I decided to rearrange a song.
I don't know how much further I can push things with my ageing Mac but I'll find out soon enough. For now though, I'm one very happy woman. [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Thanks Digi for implementing this in 6.1. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-22-2003, 11:15 AM

Jeff ,
Could you share some of your guitar/Reason techniques?
Thanks,
SUNKING [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 07-22-2003, 01:29 PM

I, too, want to reiterate just how unbelievably cool the Reason2.5/PTLE6.1 combo is. I still don't believe my eyes when I look at Reason's CPU meter and there's NOTHING there. NOTHING. I have never even seen a blip...and I've had a bunch of effects, mixer, NN-XT, ReDrum, Dr REX up.

Go to the Propheads website , click on Company and read their "4 cornerstones" (especially #3) I wish all software companies would be that dedicated.
Old 07-22-2003, 01:48 PM

Yep, couldn't agree more! Propellerhead ROCKS!!
-------------------------------------------------
"Solid, bug-free releases. This shouldn't even have to be said - but in a world where end-users are often more or less exploited as beta testers of works in progress, we make a difference. Propellerhead Software takes every measure to ensure that the final release versions of our products are thoroughly tested and that any and all bugs are ironed out. We have an unprecedented track record of this and we intend to keep it that way."
-------------------------------------------------

That statement ROCKS!!!!!!! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-22-2003, 02:07 PM

it's smokin'!!!!!!!!!!!!! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

The Basschakra Lucid Soul Trip

i7 Builds - Specs and Results

HDNative | Omni | i7-3930K OC'd 4.0GHZ |
ASUS X79 Sabertooth | 32GB GSkill DDR3 2133 ram | mo' stuff
Old 07-22-2003, 02:17 PM

Sunking,

No real tricks involved.
-I have my PodPro balanced outs into input 3-4 of my 001.
-launch protools
-create 2 stereo tracks 1 for Reason (for composing purposes and 1 for guitar. as well as a master fader.
-when I have an idea for a song I set the tempo in Protools and enable the click track in Reason so it playes thru and slaves to protools (I prefer the Reason click over the PTLE click)
-Record the basic guitar or bass riff/arrangement to the click
-start programming the basic drums to fit the song.
-start refining the arrangement and guitar parts and ad any extra Reason stuff like keys strings synths effects.
-once i'm happy with the groove and arrangement I record a bass line then start laying down the polished guitar tracks (I write instrumental guitar stuff like Vai Malmsteen etc.)
anyway the reason this new setup is so cool is that I can do it all from protools with out flipping back and forth between programs and I can write/record/program with everything plugged in and no real latency issues.
when I'm happy with the final programming I'll buss all the reason tracks into protools as separate audio files for additional mixing....at that point I'll probably have to nudge everything into position to compensate for latency.....I have to do some experimenting with this whole setup to get more efficient with Reason.

if anyone has any advice feel free to pipe in cause I'm totally green when it comes to composing in Reason!!
Old 07-22-2003, 03:03 PM

guitaramundo,

"when I'm happy with the final programming I'll buss all the reason tracks into protools as separate audio files "

I know this has been covered here in the DUC numerous times but I'm having a real problem recording Reason into PT as audio!

I'm bussing the wasy Rail had suggested to do it with no luck??? Any help guitaramundo?

Genuinely, Chris