How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020

Old 03-27-2020, 01:48 PM

Default Re: Come On 20.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianBloom View Post
Couldn't agree with this more. I used PT for 15 years, and since have been through almost every other DAW. I found things i loved in each - S1 for similar linear editor workflow and a ton of modern features, including a bunch of amazing arranging and writing tools.
Reaper for its insane flexibility, actions, stable system and ability to make it whatever you want (almost)
Even programs like Bitwig and Ableton for inspiring electronic music writing.
But the bottom line is, for mixing, there is no other system that has the workflow of PT. I am trying to come back to it now but i miss quite a few things (mostly ones you mention.

Also the ability to customise shortcuts. Shortcuts for things like 'show only tracks in group'
Render Queue a la reaper.

Arranger track.
Some kind of 'project' page or 'sub projects'

These are things that seriously help modern workflows. The basic things like folder tracks seem kind of ridiculous, most DAWs had this a long, long time ago.
As for sidechain PDC - that is outright upsetting. So i can't do sidechain comp if the comp has lookahead? Yikes.
I really want to make this work, i have an old love for PT that i am trying to rekindle. I also have a Raven and that works better with PT than any other DAW in my experience.

The other thing is, PT should have basic actions. Basically every modern program has this. So much of what the raven does in terms of actions should be native to the program.

If Avid did this, they would wipe the competition out completely. One wonders how other companies can roll things out so quickly, whilst avid takes ages and ages to do minor changes.
Reaper is a couple of guys and the updates are basically every month...new features, fixes (they are also free updates)

I have moments where i'll come across a PT feature that i forgot about and ill say 'ah yes, thats why i love PT' after all - it IS a great program. There is a reason so many of us love it and held onto it for as long as possible.

Do you think it is possible that they have just decided that video is important and music production is not for them?

I'll answer a couple.. without HDX, you need to compensate latent plugins on sidechains manually. Don't get too excited, AFAIK, the only DAW that actually deals with this flawlessly is Cubendo 10+ as it stands anyway. It's a big issue in many DAWs.

Secondly, all fair comments, but I think with some things we just have to accept it.. For example shortcuts. That's Avid's way, it always has been Avid's way, and their entire PT code/workflow is built around THEIR shortcuts. I just don't see them adding a shortcut mapper in anytime soon if ever, it would have very low priority. IMHO of course. Pro tools is more heavily shortcut based than any other DAW that I have used, which is why it's so fast.. However, curiously, it misses shortcuts for a couple of key things like enabling and disabling scrolling for example. That's just silly. You can easily assign any shortcut you want on mac, but on PC it's a bit more complex needing third party tools.. I just got a new PC laptop to tinker with (in sig), mainly for emulation gaming but if I really get used to windows, i'll migrate eventually due to sheer savings vs Apple. So I'm very keen to try find out how to make my own shortcuts without needing to understand coding LOL.

Talk later, cheers.
Old 03-27-2020, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNM View Post
I'll answer a couple.. without HDX, you need to compensate latent plugins on sidechains manually. Don't get too excited, AFAIK, the only DAW that actually deals with this flawlessly is Cubendo 10+ as it stands anyway. It's a big issue in many DAWs.

Secondly, all fair comments, but I think with some things we just have to accept it.. For example shortcuts. That's Avid's way, it always has been Avid's way, and their entire PT code/workflow is built around THEIR shortcuts. I just don't see them adding a shortcut mapper in anytime soon if ever, it would have very low priority. IMHO of course. Pro tools is more heavily shortcut based than any other DAW that I have used, which is why it's so fast.. However, curiously, it misses shortcuts for a couple of key things like enabling and disabling scrolling for example. That's just silly. You can easily assign any shortcut you want on mac, but on PC it's a bit more complex needing third party tools.. I just got a new PC laptop to tinker with (in sig), mainly for emulation gaming but if I really get used to windows, i'll migrate eventually due to sheer savings vs Apple. So I'm very keen to try find out how to make my own shortcuts without needing to understand coding LOL.

Talk later, cheers.

Hey, cheers for your response. I don;t mind so much if they don't let us change them, but as you said, there are key shortcuts missing - show tracks in group, show only instrument tracks etc etc.

Anyway, after trying to get back into pro tools, i have discovered that to get the good automation features i have to spend 80 bucks a month. I think i will get back to reaper.
Real shame, i love pro tools so much, but the fact that you don't even get the automation features in the standard version is insane.
Old 03-27-2020, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Hey, cheers for your response. I don;t mind so much if they don't let us change them, but as you said, there are key shortcuts missing - show tracks in group, show only instrument tracks etc etc.

Anyway, after trying to get back into pro tools, i have discovered that to get the good automation features i have to spend 80 bucks a month. I think i will get back to reaper.
Real shame, i love pro tools so much, but the fact that you don't even get the automation features in the standard version is insane.
Solo with a single touch (instead of shift S)!

On 50 tracks to listen to... shift S play, shift S play, shift S play,shift S play, shift S play, shift S play, shift S play, shift S play, shift S play, shift S play, shift S play, shift S play, shift S play, shift S play, shift S play, shift S play, ....
  • Mac Studio M2 Ultra 2023. 2T. 128 Go. + 2X 4 T NVMe ext.
  • AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16-Core Processor 3.40 GHz 64 Go, full SSD

• Roland V-Piano, Novation 88
  • Etc.
  • www.claudemarcbourget.com
Old 03-28-2020, 09:56 AM

It would be nice if everything was on one key, but you're askin for some crazy sh.t to happen...... one wrong move.....or cat.......
Old 03-28-2020, 10:11 AM

There are only so many one keys available and to my thinking single click solo is not on top of the priority list.

As always, you need to think control surfaces. PT first and foremost needs to be controlled by control surface and its modifier keys. Not saying this is a bad request but just not seeing that it would happen. Ever.
Old 03-28-2020, 10:41 AM

Yes.
Solo on my Raven is one touch <g>

What I don't want is to become more of a typist than a mixer
Old 03-28-2020, 12:25 PM

I know you can change a bunch of shortcuts to single key press with 'command focus' can't remember if solo is one of them.
Old 03-28-2020, 12:55 PM

Quote:
I know you can change a bunch of shortcuts to single key press with 'command focus' can't remember if solo is one of them.
He's not here. But he should! We don't understand why.
  • Mac Studio M2 Ultra 2023. 2T. 128 Go. + 2X 4 T NVMe ext.
  • AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16-Core Processor 3.40 GHz 64 Go, full SSD

• Roland V-Piano, Novation 88
  • Etc.
  • www.claudemarcbourget.com
Old 03-28-2020, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbourget View Post
Solo with a single touch (instead of shift S)!

On 50 tracks to listen to... shift S play, shift S play, shift S play,shift S play, shift S play, shift S play, shift S play, shift S play, shift S play, shift S play, shift S play, shift S play, shift S play, shift S play, shift S play, shift S play, ....
What about selecting all 50 tracks with track and edit selection linked and pressing shift S just once?
Old 03-28-2020, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1m1 View Post
Programming is the sort of work that can easily be done at home, so I would expect that they are still hard at work during this time.
Sure, programming can be done at home. But they are also testing, and that requires multiple Mac and PC systems with multiple OS configurations, and that is all going to be in-house.

Also, we don't know if Avid has some sort of remote or internet based version control system for checking out/updating/and submitting code changes for bug fixes, patches and updates. It's quite possible that their coding must be done on a private intra-net which may also have to be in-house.

I mean, Avid's applications are not open source. So I doubt they're going to let their employees take the entire soure code home with them, lol.