Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2002, 05:57 PM

Default OT - Virtual Reality control for PT

Check out this and see what you think :::::

http://www.essentialreality.com/p5_glove.asp

I have a mate that own's one of these and he uses it for First Person Shooters, PC games. It is very easy to configure, as it connects via a USB port and acts as a normal mouse interface.

I am going to borrow it off him (when I can pry it out of his hand... loves his new toy) to try it out in the PT environment.

It could be a way of breaking with the norm. and given a two monitor display set-up, i am think about (if it works) scrapping a control surface, and running my 2nd display monitor as the virtual control surface... with the VR glove..

Grabbing those VR track faders (granted won;t be touch sensative) with a VR glove.. sounds soooo cool.. plus also because all 5 fingers have sensors in the glove, all finger movements are programable i.e index finger = play, ring finger = stop & pinky finger = rec....

Imagine reclining back in your studio chair coffee/keyboard in one hand.. and "conducting: a session with the other as you wave your hand through the air [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] .... with the curser moving across PT's are you swoosh your hand [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Also... @ $US150 retail.. this VR glove could save some major dollars for home projects considering a costly control surface option...

Will keep you posted as to the test results....

ROCK ON (virtually) [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Old 11-03-2002, 11:54 PM

Default Re: OT - Virtual Reality control for PT

I'll sell you a nintendo power glove for 100 dollars. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Christian
Old 11-04-2002, 12:10 AM

Madmaxx, You're definitely on to something. Ever since I saw Minority Report I've had it in the back of my mind that one day working with a DAW is going to be very similar to that. Two gloves on, placing audio regions here and midi (or, more than likely, midi's replacement) notes there, grabbing faders and performing complicated editing functions with the flick of a finger. Orchestrating was the word I was thinking but you stole it from me.

Give it a try and please post your findings, but I'm willing to bet this kind of thing won't be well refined enough until an audio program starts developing for it. Maybe Digidesign will develope something like this after they drop Mac support in another five years or so. We'll see.
Old 11-04-2002, 05:14 PM

CRS117, thanks for the offer, but i took my Mario games off my PT's PC last week [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

APAULOS, I am with you... I still haven't been able to get the glove yet.. but will post a report on it, once I have put it through its paces.

I know to some it might sound stupid, maybe even unrealistic, but at my present stage with my home studio, I have the need for a control surface, and with limited funds (but already having 2 terminal displays, two use one as the dedicated control surface) this might just be the missing link that can help me out.

I, like i am sure a lot of folks, have been researching into getting a Control Surface, and while waiting for a new product to come onto the market.. this might fill the gap, could be fun.. and might look very cool...

Then again I might scare people off.. as i look like a dork and a try hard Tom Cruise from Minority report... Who knows.. will keep you posted.

Rock On [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Old 11-04-2002, 05:31 PM

imagine how funny you will look trying to use pt in virtual reality [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]