Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | MTRX & MTRX Studio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2018, 09:44 PM

Default Re: iOS monitor control for MTRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by its2loud View Post
DADMan is just ok. Its a necessary cumbersome extra layer in order to integrate ProTools with the Matrix or AX32. It would be nice to just work with one application when having to troubleshoot but in my experience I’m usually restarting ProTools way more than I am DADMan. I think its designed to be a set it and forget it type of program. Nowadays, most third party interface makers are designing their own versions of DADMan (Universal Audio, Focusrite, Etc.).

The Eucon protol between S6 and DADMan does get flakey from time to time. This is something I wish Avid would strengthen but I wonder if Avid and DAD are even still working together.
Agreed on both points. And yes, EuCon between S3/EuControl and DADman is also a bit on the flakey side. Another reason I bought a hardware MOM (and wrote the software one). I haven't heard anything to suggest that Avid and DAD are not continuing to work together, but you may know more than I.
Old 06-26-2018, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeHoward View Post
Agreed on both points. And yes, EuCon between S3/EuControl and DADman is also a bit on the flakey side. Another reason I bought a hardware MOM (and wrote the software one). I haven't heard anything to suggest that Avid and DAD are not continuing to work together, but you may know more than I.
Purely speculation on my part and the fact that DAD barely mentions the Matrix on their website or support for their SPQ processing card with the Matrix. I guess since the AX32 and Matrix are almost the same there shouldn’t be any reason why it wouldn’t work.

Thanks for your hard work porting MOM to an iOS app.
Old 06-26-2018, 11:00 PM

Quote:
iOS Settings app -> MOM
Excellent
Old 06-26-2018, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
Excellent
My plan is to make all the button labels assignable (and also have a generic mode where they're not coloured or grouped into sources/outputs), as after all they are assignable to absolutely anything in DADman. But, that's more work than I have time for right now.
Old 06-28-2018, 12:27 PM

Just want to say "thanks" once again. Originally set this up on my phone (to have remote volume control.) It works but is a little flaky due to the way DADman needs to be in constant contact with MOM controllers (it does NOT like them to disappear/reappear.) However, also set it up on the iPad in my Dock and that's working great.

Now the only question is if I should get another iPad just dedicated to this (because usually that iPad is dedicated to the Control App and the connection appears to break if switching to another app; same issue with the Control app.)

I swear soon all my surface areas will be different touchscreens or monitors .
Old 06-28-2018, 05:24 PM

Thanks, it’s great that someone else finds it useful! (Perhaps an iPod Touch would be an alternative?)

I’ve notified DAD about the reconnection issue a while back, but haven’t heard anything back yet.
Old 07-03-2018, 03:21 AM

Quote:
I could understand wanting to "replace DADman" like the Colin Broad. The fact that you need to have DADman running on a computer is a bit annoying for control; it'd be nice to skip the middleman (also nice when you need to reboot the computer) and have direct communication with the AX32/MTRX.
When using the TMC-1 to control the MTRX you do not have to run DADman unless you wish to route unrelated inputs and outputs. The TMC-1 connects directly to the MTRX using the native NTP protocol and NOT Eucon.
Old 07-03-2018, 09:08 AM

Hi Colin,
You're definitely on my list as the next upgrade to monitoring (after the SPQ card finally gets released) as I already liked your approach to adaptability/management.
Quote:
unless you wish to route unrelated inputs and outputs
Just double-checking what that means.
For instance, I was under the impression that you could set up the same "any input to any output" routing that the MTRX/AX32 does great and that it's stored within the MTRX/AX32.
Just checking if you mean that you need to use DADman to route/re-route but, after that, the TMC-1 can manage with DADman closed. For instance, I have 3 sources summed to two outputs -- layer 1, layer 2 in "MOM" speak (one 7.1 output, one stereo that has fold downs of the same 3 sources as a second "layer"). Sources originate from the HDX, AES, and MADI connectors. Outputs are all out Analogue cards.

Just checking this is manageable with the TMC-1 after being set up with DADman closed.

Last edited by BScout; 07-03-2018 at 09:19 AM. Reason: more questions
Old 07-04-2018, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Just double-checking what that means.
For instance, I was under the impression that you could set up the same "any input to any output" routing that the MTRX/AX32 does great and that it's stored within the MTRX/AX32.
Just checking if you mean that you need to use DADman to route/re-route but, after that, the TMC-1 can manage with DADman closed. For instance, I have 3 sources summed to two outputs -- layer 1, layer 2 in "MOM" speak (one 7.1 output, one stereo that has fold downs of the same 3 sources as a second "layer"). Sources originate from the HDX, AES, and MADI connectors. Outputs are all out Analogue cards.

Just checking this is manageable with the TMC-1 after being set up with DADman closed.
Hi BScout
The TMC-1 defines its own routing and summing using the tmc1-penta4 software, it does not use DADman and will overwrite any existing routing to outputs and summing. The TMC-1 names all the inputs and outputs that it is using so that you can see them in DADman. The only reason to run DADman with the TMC-1 is if you wish to route other inputs and outputs unrelated to the monitoring - the TMC-1 does not use all of the possible 1500+ inputs and 1500+ outputs.

Check the tmc1-penta4 App for details on how it is set up available at http://www.colinbroad.com/cbsoft/tmc1/tmc1penta.html
Old 07-11-2018, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Thanks, it’s great that someone else finds it useful! (Perhaps an iPod Touch would be an alternative?)

I’ve notified DAD about the reconnection issue a while back, but haven’t heard anything back yet.
Can't be certain yet but it appears the latest firmware update for the MTRX and latest DADman have made the disconnect/restore of MOM controllers less (not?) an issue. I've been running both updates for 2 days and things are better (actually no glitches restoring/auto-reconnecting after disconnect and no weird graphics issues with DADman if it loses connection to a MOM controller)

(Download from DAD's website -- they are both meant/authourized for the MTRX and you can see that in their notes. If you have the Dante module, make sure you also do the update for that from the same download site. Instructions on the website for order but it starts with updating DADman, then Brooklyn II (if you have it) and then the firmware)