How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2013, 08:18 AM

Default velocity controller

Hi,

What does the velocity controller do exactly? I have a MIDI track and some of the notes have multiple tabs and some only have a single tab in the velocity controller and moving them up or down doesn't seem to have any effect.

What is it for? My instrument is VSL.

Thanks!
Old 12-04-2013, 10:16 AM

Default Re: velocity controller

Velocity is a way of determining how fast you are hitting a note. That data can then be used to control or trigger certain things... its the time it takes to initially press a key to it being pushed down. In older keyboards it was done with 2 switches, the first releases when the note is initially pressed and the 2nd is triggered once the note is completed its journey down... the velocity is the time it takes from releasing the first trigger and pressing the 2nd. Newer tech use cheaper single triggers.

Read this its very helpful in understanding.

http://music.tutsplus.com/tutorials/...ty--audio-2338
Old 12-04-2013, 12:01 PM

Velocity is how hard a virtual instrument is being played (which is kinda wierd b/c you would think fast)

But just imagine piano being played in piano or forte that's the difference that's velocity

On the lower side of the scale it's considered piano for the upper side of the scale considered forte

0-127
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 12-04-2013, 12:36 PM

It can be used to control a lot more than simple dynamics... its a simple range of numbers that can be directed to alter or adjust many things.... from simple loudness to trigger many various samples based on specific ranges (ie, 0-40 triggers sample set A, 40-80 triggers sample set B), it can also be used to change filters... it is not simply how hard you hit a key... its speed based, the harder you hit a key the faster (or shorter) the time it takes and therefore changes the range # being generated. You can also use pressure pads that are designed to convert pressure into a range of numbers... like an electronic drum pad, which is based on weight value
Old 12-08-2013, 02:05 PM

Well, I guess its not a real good idea to mess with this controller too much after recording. Thanks Jason!
Old 12-09-2013, 07:53 AM

Actually I mess with it all the time..... it can help to make notation smooth, or orchestra strings more dynamic without having to automate the volume per track or having to use multiple samplers (one for each sound of strings, etc) If it is set as default volume/sample range triggering (as it is for most plugins)
Old 12-09-2013, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonthurley View Post
Actually I mess with it all the time..... it can help to make notation smooth, or orchestra strings more dynamic without having to automate the volume per track or having to use multiple samplers (one for each sound of strings, etc) If it is set as default volume/sample range triggering (as it is for most plugins)
I feel better now. I did notice the multiple samples per note and in truth this confused me.