Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2012, 10:14 AM

Default AD-DA loopback shootout - anyone?

Although it runs the risk of adding to 'mine is better than yours' comments often seen on Gearslutz (especially regarding AD-DA conversion on specific interfaces) the following is a long-running and good attempt at assessing this matter properly:

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/gear-...ut-thread.html

I've seen the quality of the ER's preamp and digital conversion compared negatively to the 'usual suspects' (Apogee Duet 2, Mbox 3, RME, etc., let alone high-end gear) in the past - although inevitably it's what one hears that counts, anyone up to submitting test results and see how the unit fares (probably beyond me!)?
Old 07-18-2012, 03:40 AM

Default Re: AD-DA loopback shootout - anyone?

I guess not?! ER users probably more interested in playing than technical tests!

Old 07-18-2012, 07:52 AM

Is there a certain configuration you're thinking about setting up?

While the test would be nice, I can tell you that in this case, those other units' digital conversion is dramatically better than the 11R, based on real world listening.

Perhaps we could offer suggestions for your setup depending on what you're trying to do.
Old 07-18-2012, 11:37 AM

Your sentiments on the ER's performance in these areas relative to the class-leaders echo what I've read elsewhere - it could still be an interesting exercise to see how the numbers compare however.

The popular/value MOTUs 'performed' pretty well across the board ... right in there amongst the Lavrys, Metric Halos, Myteks, Lynxs and Prisms (MOTUs not usually highly-rated on Gearslutz yet also ahead of e.g. RMEs).

I'm pretty sure that audible differences in my setup would be diluted by other parts of my chain ... so a move away from my ER as my primary interface would mostly be driven by other factors e.g. additional preamps, headphone outputs, etc. But, based on comments from other forums/threads, I may have assumed the ER's AD-DA to be not too far behind e.g. the MOTU 828MkIII, so maybe adding a better quality preamp/channel strip would be a good upgrade. Yet it could turn out that one would also be gaining significantly better digital conversion by going with something like the MOTU?!

Anyway, not sure if I'll get around to doing the 'standardised' test myself but if an ER is going to be tested at all, it will probably be by a user here on DUC.