Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2002, 01:07 PM

Default Re: ProTools Systems on a File Sharing Network???

Hi Steve,
My PT mac is also on a network with PCs, other macs, a linux server and a unix server. It works great for me. The linux box is a firewall/router to the Internet for all of the "internal" machines and is also offering file and print services for the PCs (smb) and macs (appletalk). Appletalk is active at all times on my PT mac. I don't seem to have any troubles related to that and I use SampleCell TDM and midi extensively. I think it is recommended to have Appletalk disabled for OMS, but I don't really understand why since Appletalk is using ethernet. It would be great to hear from anyone that knows why Appletalk should be disabled for OMS (or otherwise). If I had to guess, I would say that it's a leftover from the localtalk days, or using appletalk via mac serial. Hope that rambling helps.
Old 10-16-2002, 01:22 PM

In reply to Big Dans question about apple talk, You problably wont run into any problems with all talk left on if you are not running any midi devices on you work station.Some devices will cause an OMS MIDI conflict some will not it just depends on the device.That has been my experience
Old 10-16-2002, 01:31 PM

Hi lg,
Could you be more specific about what you mean by "OMS MIDI conflict"? What happens or doesn't happen when you experience one? Thanks! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-16-2002, 01:35 PM

I am not a networkng expert, but our PT systems are also networked to a Linux server via DAVE (by Thursby Systems) that allows access to shared disk space and printers and PT runs fine. This is not the same as file sharing on an all Mac network in which you can access the hard drive on individual Macs, though I know that it's possible to run Pro Tools in that circumstance too. On our systems file sharing and appletalk are off and DAVE takes care of everything via ethernet.

I think Donny is correct that the warning about Appletalk comes from the days when it interfered with the serial ports which OMS wanted for MIDI. (OMS hasn't been updated since 1998 remember).

If you're networking with non-Apple machines, I'd recommend DAVE.
Old 10-16-2002, 07:59 PM

Yes. AppleTalk and OMS problems stem mainly from the days before USB and firewire; back when all midi interfaces were attached to a serial port. Even now in AppleTalk, there are settings to use the serial ports. You'll have it set to Ethernet, so it doesn't matter. When you start OMS or an application that uses it, it will ask you whether you want to leave it on or disable it. It will even turn AppleTalk back on when OMS quits.

I work with 3 Macs, 1 PC and a cable modem on an Ethernet hub. 1 mac is for PT, 1 for LE and some soft synths and internet, the third is completely dedicated to soft synths and samplers. The PC has Gigasampler. I routinely transfer files between them all with absolutely no problem. I have Dave installed. The only headache was getting the ethernet card in the PC to work. What a pain!!! I usually begin with all the computers offline. But by the end of the day, I quite often find that I've eventually turned them all online to transfer things, then forgot to turn AppleTalk back off. It's never seemed to cause any problems.

As for AppleTalk being enabled while PT is running, I could see how trying to transfer a file that PT is currently playing might cause some hang ups. Not sure if I've ever attempted this or not. But I've been able to transfer files in the background while mixing in PT. But I wasn't using the files being transferred and it did slow the transfer down. Bear in mind though, that I have older machines with G3 upgrades in them. Newer models may perform better. Ethernet speed is probably pretty standard; it's just that the newer CPU's may have more power to divide that what mine do.

Also, I've never had a problem with OMS and AppleTalk. As long as AppleTalk is set to Ethernet and not a serial port.

good luck

Anthony
Nashville, TN
[email protected]

http://mp3.com/ziggy_johnson
Old 10-17-2002, 12:30 AM

Default ProTools Systems on a File Sharing Network???

We have 3 ProTools systems here, 1 TDM, and 2 LE for editting small pojects, etc. The TDM system and one LE system are on Sawtooth G4's the other LE system is on a B&W G3. All systems are on OS9.2.2.

Right now I have a few other business/office computers all tied together on an eithernet hub to share the T1 line coming into the space. We don't have any sort of file/printer/application sharing setup yet.

I'm interested in adding the ProTools systems onto this Ethernet based network hub so that when we finish mixes, we can put the aif (or whatever) in a shared folder and the assistants can grab that file, using another computer (most likely a non-protools) and post it to the web, or make an mp3 or whatever.

I've been reading up on the file sharing methods at the apple website and it always mentions that AppleTalk has to be enabled. Isn't this a no-no with ProTools? I just don't really know what I'm doing in this realm and don't really feel like screwing up all the ProTools systems.

Has anyone done this sort of thing? And had it work successfully? I'm not looking to setup a crazy network here. Just simple 100baseT connections.

Any input you can provide will be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve

www.stephenshirk.com
www.pinknoise.com
Old 10-17-2002, 12:44 AM

I been working with macs for about 15 years and believe me when I tell you that it can be done, however there will be a couple of issues that will come up.1 yes you will need to enable apple talk in order to share the files(unless all of the machines are running OSX),just do not turn it on unless you have quit out of protools.2 if you will be sharing sessions(unbounced tracks) between the TDM systems and the LE systems make sure that you have the equivallent pluggins on all machines if not you may run into problems with saving updates.

I hope this helps....

LG [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Old 10-18-2002, 09:15 PM

Your fine with leaving Appletalk on with PT running. OMS is way old and the settings are referencing the Serial port days.

The only conflicts I can see arising are:

1. Someone tries to transfer a file from your machine to theirs from the same disk you are currently working from.
2. You have a disk mounted on your workstation belonging to another computer on the ethernet network, and you try to open a session from it. It wont take but one experience to teach you that this is a no-no. The network disks are clearly iconized, so its hard to make that mistake anyway.

Ethernet does not have the speed/bandwidth required to run sessions with files spread all over different computers.

I have found that the best way to prevent any issues like this are to un-mount any network disks after you have transferred the files you need. You just chuck the disk in the trash.

People commonly confuse networks. They hear that Fibreshare can do this, so ethernet should do that.

Ethernet is like taking the bus.
Fibreshare/Fibrechannel is like taking the StarTrek Teleporter.

Good for sending stuff (albeit slow), but useless for realtime requirements.

Later.
Old 10-18-2002, 09:28 PM

appletalk is fine with protools...I have 9 systems (3LE, 1HD, 5mix) that are all connected/sharing files all day long....
Old 10-18-2002, 09:55 PM

try a switch instead of a hub. too bad you have the old G3, because the new machines have 1000/t

GigaBit Ethernet rocks!