Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2010, 04:08 PM

Default USB/Midi keyboards

This may have been answered but I cant find a thread on it so I'm going to risk being flamed and ask this and hope o not get too razzed.

I'm looking to get a small 25 key midi board but all of the ones I see are USB/MIDI controlled. I am using an Mbox II and want to be able to connect it to the Midi "in" on the Mbox. Can I simply attach a USB to MIDI connector or will cause a latency issue or any other issues getting the keyboard to work properly? I just ned something simple so I can program drums and do some minor keyboard effects without using a 49 or 88 key board. Plus they're all rather expensive to boot. Is there any problem with using these smaller keyboards that are designed for USB/MIDI or can I still plug it straight into a USB and be able to use the BFD, DB-33, etc.

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-29-2010, 05:26 PM

Default Re: USB/Midi keyboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireJoe View Post
T I still plug it straight into a USB and be able to use the BFD, DB-33, etc.
yes.. you dont need to plug it into you mbox.. the driver will create a midi device

your mbox is plugged in via usb right? so obviously it's no problem to send midi via usb :)

PTMP 8.0.1 // FLStudio 9 // WinXP SP3 // Axiom Pro 49 // Delta 44 // Mackie HR624 // AKG K701 // Emu 6400 Classic
Old 03-29-2010, 07:06 PM

If the device has both USB and MIDI you use one or the other. Three things I like about USB is.

A) Normally the device can be powered over USB eliminating the need for a wall wart power adapter.

B) You can have as many MIDI dives as you have USB ports. USB hubs and PCI cards are usualy cheaper than a dedicated MIDI hub

C) Normally USB controllers just show up in PT without requiring any configuration (at least on PC)

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 03-30-2010, 05:53 AM

Yeah, duh, I forgot the Mbox is USB, I didn't even think about that.

Thats a awesome and thanks, now I can go get a simple keyboard.
Old 04-01-2010, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburst79 View Post

C) Normally USB controllers just show up in PT without requiring any configuration (at least on PC)
Great points sunburst, I would also tell you most midi keyboards work on macs straight out of the box in pro tools as well. It gets a little more complicated when you do mapping of your controller ie a Axiom 25. I personally recommend that keyboard because I love mine so much. The Axiom's are a bit on the pricey side but they are well worth it. If I were you I would do some research on what you think will suit your needs the best. I don't really ever use the midi ports on my mbox personally. The only use they generally serve is for my roland V-drums.
-Purchased Plugs: Tracks S3 Deluxe, Motu Symphonic Instrument, Abbey Roads Drums 70s, and Eleven LE
-PT LE 8.04 CS 2 (Mac) and PT LE 8.04 (Win 7)
Myspace undergoing *Beta Testing* Thrush Records