Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2010, 09:08 AM

Default Re: A.I.R Instrument Expansion Pack Upgrade Pricing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneOuse View Post
I think I figured out why Avid could not provide a free upgrade for Structure users.
Guess what - Structure uses Chicken translator to open GIGA files. That's right! In fact, it doesn't open them natively but rather converts them into structure format into currently opened session folder and then the patch from there.
This means - a) no quick browsing (some patches takes ages to convert); b) your ProTools sessions get cluttered with tons of unused patches that you preview and end up not using.
A logical thing to do in this case is to convert the entire GIGA library into Kontakt or Structure format and load from there. Patches will load quickly and won't take any extra space.
Why would someone think of including this feature is beyond me [<facepalm smiley here>].

Wow, what a failure Structure has been which is especially sad given the rest of AIR instruments are so awesome.
OK. Ya got me since I don't have any Gigi libraries to import. How are you determining they are using Chicken Systems Translator?

I'm sure the feature was included since Giga stopped supporting their own product and a lot of folks own large Giga libraries they would like to use. Some Giga support is better than none I would think. Converting to Kontakt would make the most sense to me unless converting to Structure format offers some advantage

I'll have to try to find some free Giga samples to import.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 04-24-2010, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburst79 View Post
How are you determining they are using Chicken Systems Translator?
There is a CST.dll located within a Structure directory folder.
Old 04-24-2010, 01:05 PM

Here SB.
Old 04-24-2010, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filosofem View Post
Here SB.
Very good.

Thank you.

Had Digi bothered to mention this the argument for a paid Structure upgrade makes a lot more sense. Or at least would be a bit more palatable for some of the users.

Is this mentioned in the 369 page PTIEP guide? or did I just miss it? I'm aware of and applaud the addition of Giga support.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 04-24-2010, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburst79 View Post
Had Digi bothered to mention this the argument for a paid Structure upgrade makes a lot more sense.
Ummm... Gigasampler support as part of a upgrade feature set should be payed however Kontakt, Kontakt2 and EXS 24 should have been a fixed update, IMO. There should be no misunderstanding.
Old 04-25-2010, 10:29 AM

Just curious. Who else on here is still holding-out on buying the upgrade to the expansion pack?

I, for one, will not spend a penny more until Avid fix the current ridiculous pricing scheme to upgrade. All I want is a points system where the more registered VI's you own, the more of a discount you're given. It would be very easy to implement. If it means that Avid were never to adjust it, then that just means I won't be purchasing their expansion pack ever. I will just invest my money to comparable software companies(such as native instruments) where the price to upgrade is more fair.

Would it be my loss or Avid's loss?
If more people, like me, do not purchase the upgrade.. I'd lean more towards the latter.
Old 04-25-2010, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-Rey View Post
Just curious. Who else on here is still holding-out on buying the upgrade to the expansion pack?

I, for one, will not spend a penny more until Avid fix the current ridiculous pricing scheme to upgrade. All I want is a points system where the more registered VI's you own, the more of a discount you're given. It would be very easy to implement. If it means that Avid were never to adjust it, then that just means I won't be purchasing their expansion pack ever. I will just invest my money to comparable software companies(such as native instruments) where the price to upgrade is more fair.

Would it be my loss or Avid's loss?
If more people, like me, do not purchase the upgrade.. I'd lean more towards the latter.
I've decided against it and bought Superior Drummer instead. I've promised to give Strike to a friend. I really am happy with Velvet but I hear that Scarbee is better... Neither of these (or any of the 3rd party samplers) are RTAS only which makes them more appealing to me. I don't use the others much.
What I found when I got there,
was that I couldn't stay away!

Hobo Shave!
Old 04-25-2010, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danander11 View Post
I've decided against it and bought Superior Drummer instead. I've promised to give Strike to a friend. I really am happy with Velvet but I hear that Scarbee is better... Neither of these (or any of the 3rd party samplers) are RTAS only which makes them more appealing to me. I don't use the others much.
It's funny to me, but I don't even think about the universality of other plugins, probably because they tend to be somewhat universal. I use ProTools but I ALSO use Logic and I've become spoiled by the fact that all these other plugins just show up in Logic. Not AIR, obviously, but all the Scarbee stuff is there. Most other things I use, in fact.
Old 04-25-2010, 03:03 PM

I'm waiting for a few much needed improvements in PT before I spend any more on RTAS only plug-ins or VIs.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 04-25-2010, 07:27 PM

I just can't help myself, I'm like a possum caught in headlights.