Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2002, 09:51 AM

Default Please help with this mac problem....

anytime i turn the computer on it ALWAYS gets hung up right before the extensions start loading, if i hit restart on the front of the computer it ALWAYS works the second time around. if the computer has sat for a while and then needs to be restarted again for some reason....same thing. ALWAYS gets hung up in the same place and ALWAYS works second time around. NO new applications have been installed, so i don't think??? it's an extension conflict.
Old 07-07-2002, 10:36 AM

Default Re: Please help with this mac problem....

Have you run Norton on your system hard disk? Zapped PRAM?

It's possible you might have some defective memory. The Mac OS runs a memory check when the computer is first booted up, but does not run the test when you restart. You could also have defective memory sockets on your motherboard (and that might require a motherboard swap).

Try reseating all the cards and connectors. Blow connectors out with canned air, and use a good contact stabilant like Caig Pro Gold to treat edge connectors on cards and memory.

Go into extension manager and select a base extension set, and see if the computer boots up fine with that set.

As a last resort, reformat your system disk and reload all the software. (I know it's time consuming, but sometimes you can spend a lot more time fooling around with these sorts of problems.)

Good luck, and hope you find the problem.

Lee Blaske
Old 07-07-2002, 11:50 AM

Also try starting up with all peripherals disconnected. With computer and external drives turned off, disconnect all external SCSI devices and also disconnect any external USB/FireWire devices besides your keyboard and mouse.

You might might have a hard disk driver conflict.
Old 07-07-2002, 02:46 PM

I had a g3 for awhile that would do that. finally had to get a G4. what kind of computer are you using?
Old 07-07-2002, 02:58 PM

i am currently using a 500 MHz (don't laugh) G4. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
Old 07-07-2002, 03:04 PM

Before this problem it worked good?
Old 07-07-2002, 04:25 PM

I've seen that happen with certain peripherals. Even Digi interfaces.... Try keeping all the Digi interfaces off when starting up.