Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2007, 05:36 PM

Default Sound from Quicktime Player

I have tried searching the DUC for this. Please direct me to posts that address it. I just could not find anything doing a search.

I'm using an 002 and have put quicktimeplayer in the DigiMME Helper.

I'm not getting any sound.

Sweetwater said to switch to the sound card and use pc speakers... I know this can't be right. Well, fine, it will work, but switch to pc speakers? I don't want to switch to pc speakers, jeez!

I'm missing something here, what is it?
PT 12, Gigabyte GA-X79-UD3 ATX LGA2011 MB,Intel Core i7-3930 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor,Asus NVIDIA GeForce GT 640 2GB GDDR3 PCI-e Video Card, Patriot Viper 3 Low Profile Blue 32GB (4x8GB),Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo CPU Cooler, Rosewill Stallion Series RD700 700W Power Supply,Western Digital Caviar Black Internal system/session/samples,Windows 7 Professional 64-bit,Mbox2
Old 11-09-2007, 07:34 PM

Default Re: Sound from Quicktime Player

With the 002, what is usually recommended is to use the computer's soundcard for computer sounds (Quicktime, itunes, etc) and then route the output from the computer's soundcard to the alt/src inputs. Then when you want to listen to computer sound, you press the alt/src to mon button.

However, if you really must have quicktime playing through your actual 002 hardware, there are some things you need to be aware of. One is the Digidesign wavedriver is a single client driver. You cannot use more than one audio program at a time with Digidesign hardware. (that could be causing your issue, and is whey I mention it).

Otherwise, all you really need to do is to follow the instructions in the Wavedriver Usage Guide:
Quote:
WaveDriver is configured in the Sounds and Audio Devices Control Panel (for programs that use the Windows Sound Playback
Default Device, such as Windows Media Player), or as a preference in third-party WaveDriver client applications.

To configure WaveDriver as the Windows Sound Playback Default Device:
1 Choose Start > Control Panel.
2 Double-click Sounds and Audio Devices.
3 Click the Audio tab.
4 Select the Digidesign hardware in the Sound Playback default device lists.
5 Close the Control Panel.
and

Quote:
To configure WaveDriver as the iTunes default device:
1 Close all WaveDriver third-party applications (including iTunes).
2 Choose Start > Programs > QuickTime > QuickTime Player.
3 In QuickTime Player, choose Edit > Preferences > QuickTime Preferences.
4 In the QuickTime Settings window, click the Audio Tab.
5 Select the “Safe mode (waveOut only)” option, and click Apply.
6 Click OK to close the QuickTime Settings window.
7 Exit QuickTime Player.
8 Re-launch iTunes.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 11-10-2007, 01:51 AM

Hi all,

I'm having problems with itunes. I was running a previous version of itunes which was working fine. I've updated to itunes version 7.5.0.20 and now there is constant poping, blipping when playing through itunes.

I've gone over everything outlined above but still can't get a fix. I'm running pro tools le 7 through an mbox 2.

This happened to me in the past but i didn't have time to find a solution so i had to reinstall the older version of itunes, which worked fine once reinstalled.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Leif.
Old 11-10-2007, 02:05 AM

An additional note re above problem--

The same conflict (blips when playing in itunes) occurred in the old version of itunes, but this was solved by disabling an audio driver in device manager. I've looked at this and can't see any other drivers that would be conflicting.

Is it possible that older pro tools and newer itunes just don't work together? Are there any driver updates from digidesign that might solve this problem? I've searched digidesign site for updates but didn't come across anything promising looking.
Old 11-10-2007, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Is it possible that older pro tools and newer itunes just don't work together?
All versions of Pro Tools have this problem with the newest version of Quicktime (which is what iTunes uses for an audio engine. The only solution is to revert to an older version of Quicktime, which makes some of the features of the new iTunes not function. This has been an ongoing problem with QT for awhile. IT all started when they took out the buffer settings.
Quote:
Are there any driver updates from digidesign that might solve this problem?
Nope. But honestly, there should be.

Fill out the feature request form and ask them to update the wavedriver to include a buffer and a buffer control panel.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 11-10-2007, 08:31 AM

spkguitar, thanks for your help!
PT 12, Gigabyte GA-X79-UD3 ATX LGA2011 MB,Intel Core i7-3930 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor,Asus NVIDIA GeForce GT 640 2GB GDDR3 PCI-e Video Card, Patriot Viper 3 Low Profile Blue 32GB (4x8GB),Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo CPU Cooler, Rosewill Stallion Series RD700 700W Power Supply,Western Digital Caviar Black Internal system/session/samples,Windows 7 Professional 64-bit,Mbox2
Old 11-10-2007, 11:09 PM

spkguitar...thankyou very very much. I was at wits end as i had tried everything possible, and couldn't figure it for the life of me.

I'll follow that link and fill the request form as you suggested.

Leif.