Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2005, 04:11 AM

Default PRE CONFIGURED SESSION (STATIONARY PAD) OPINIONS!

Hello,

I am using a stationary pad (pre configures session setup) to start my new projects! But when i select to start a new session from the stationary pad and select my destination folder and drive!! it does not place the audio folder/files into the destination!! so you end up with your song session files in one place and your audio files stay with your stationary pad!!

I attempted to change this in disk allocation with no success! i then tried to reboot from the new session location! but the audio folder had all ready established its location as being with the stationary pad!!

Also worth mentioning at this is point is, when i started to edit/cut regions it was creating multiple regions from each edit and eventually the regions list would be so full it would slow down and i would get the spinning beachball every time i tried to edit a region.

I think the work around is... once you have loaded your stationary pad and selected a new session!! you immediately close PT and re-boot from the new location before you do any recording etc!!!

Regards

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 03-22-2005, 04:20 AM

Default Re: PRE CONFIGURED SESSION (STATIONARY PAD) OPINIONS!

Chris,

You always have to check the destination when creating or saving a ProTools session, or for that matter, anything. Nothing is wrong with your system.
M1MAX Mac Studio OS 14.4.1, PT2024.3, HDX, S1/Dock
M1 PRO MacBook Pro OS 14.4.1, PT2024.3, BabyFacePro FS
Old 03-22-2005, 05:49 AM

The workaround I've always used is just add a bit of audio to your stationary pad session. Like a one second recording that you can remove from your timeline, but leave in the regions bin.

Tim

Quote:
Hello,

I am using a stationary pad (pre configures session setup) to start my new projects! But when i select to start a new session from the stationary pad and select my destination folder and drive!! it does not place the audio folder/files into the destination!! so you end up with your song session files in one place and your audio files stay with your stationary pad!!

I attempted to change this in disk allocation with no success! i then tried to reboot from the new session location! but the audio folder had all ready established its location as being with the stationary pad!!

Also worth mentioning at this is point is, when i started to edit/cut regions it was creating multiple regions from each edit and eventually the regions list would be so full it would slow down and i would get the spinning beachball every time i tried to edit a region.

I think the work around is... once you have loaded your stationary pad and selected a new session!! you immediately close PT and re-boot from the new location before you do any recording etc!!!

Regards

Chris

System 2: Pro Tools 23.9 (no Hardware), Mac OS 13.2.1, MBP (Macbook Air M2, 2022 24Gig Ram)
Old 03-22-2005, 07:14 AM

A better way to work, and a way that will solve your issue:

1. make your session templates, but don't save as stationary (it doesn't matter if you do or don't)

2. when time to start a new song/project - make a NEW session.

3. Import required session data from template.

This is a sure thing. A few extra clicks -- but 100% certain to keep your audio where you want it.

Hope this helps.

jr
Old 03-22-2005, 08:15 AM

I've always created a session with all my tracks set up the way I like on the root level of my audio drive. Save it and quit PT. Pull the session file out of the session folder and place it on the root level of the audio drive. Do a "Get Info" on the session file and click on "Stationery Pad". Delete the session folder.

When you open the PT template file, just select new file option and name it. Good to go.
Old 03-22-2005, 08:35 AM

Default Re: PRE CONFIGURED SESSION (STATIONARY PAD) OPINIO

I put stationary pad templates on each audio drive so their disk allocation is set to that drive.
Still it a a fact of life that you basically must always check the disk allocation any time you start any new session. I agree this is a job for the computer not the operator, but betwen Apple and Digi it is not happening...
Old 03-22-2005, 09:03 AM

I always create my template then copy the whole session folder to where i want it. stationary pads would be nice if they worked. an option is always to save session copy in but thats more work than just copying the damn folder. copying the folder retains all disc allocation does it not?
Old 03-22-2005, 10:19 AM

Stationary pads are bordering on useless IMO.

I do the same as JermyRoberts. . . create a new session and then import tracks from another session template. . . . Best if the templates are empty, if not empty and you have "Copy Audio" selected in the import dialog you will end up waiting for audio files to copy over which you should erase, and if you have "Link to audio" selected you should remove the audio out of the bin in the new session before going further.

I try and keep my bussing standard across sessions so I can fetch tracks from a few places without crossing up the bussing.
Old 03-22-2005, 11:35 AM

I dont understand the problems some of you are having with stationary pads. Ive been using them for years and they work fine.
Create a duplicate of your template on each drive, make sure you 'edit stationary pad' and option-click the disk allocation for each template to be the root level of that particular audio drive. Save.

Everytime I open the template, I choose "New Session" and it creates a new session folder on the audio drive in which in resides. as soon as recording begins PT creates audio files folder inside the session folder. Everything is always where it needs to be. Couldnt be simpler. Am I missing where you guys are having problems?

MT
•••DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE•••
•Use & Trust ø Cancellation!•
Old 03-22-2005, 04:25 PM

Yeah, I've had problems doing it both ways myself. Also, I deleted files from other songs when I have done the import session data way. That's after I have deleted the bin & saved to another folder even.