How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2012, 09:59 PM

Default VCC questions again.. I know! I'm such a retard

But ...

Lets say I have a song half finished with say 64 channels of midi, audio and instrument tracks and I start at track 1 and hold ctrl and click on track 2 and swosh.. Now I have all the tracks with VCC and I put one on the master aswell. So, when I open one and set it as "master to all the others" I see only as many tracks in the right side of the plugin and thats only maybe 10-12 of them and no scrolling down to see all my tracks and the are named something 1 and then a few named something 2..

Is this because I have midi tracks and instruments and Bus tracks that it screws up the whole list inside the plugin? God damn This is so badly explained I know!!! I'll ask again:

How do I set up VCC correctly on my mix?
Do I only put them on audio and instrument tracks or should it be on bus channels and midi too or what!? I have had both VCC and VTM for 3 months now and still have not used it once!

Is it better to manually put it on each track rather than holding down ctrl and putting it on all tracks as it doesn't seem to work correctly.

Yes, I tried videos on youtube and Slate website but ai still don't get it!!?? I am starting to feel like a retarded morron and we are producing music for One Direction, Little Mix, just finished 2 songs for Justin Bieber that might actually appear on his next album and I can't get this PI to work or rather I don't understand how to set up that right and how and where to put the VCC?!

Any step by step aswell as answers to the above questions regarding what tracks to put it on and what to do when I have it in my mix.
Dear God! I am sorry guys for this Looooooong post with serious morronic questions i it I know but I wojld really appreciate someone helping us to get this right once and for all in Settings and what tracks it should be on and if all the tracks is supposed to show up inside any tracks plugin and which channel should be the master setting PI!!?

Thanx a Million Friends
Cheers Chris

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 11-30-2012, 02:46 AM

Default Re: VCC questions again.. I know! I'm such a retard

#1. try out diff signal flows and let your ears decide. experiment.

or

#2. visualize an analog console; put vcc channels on strips that pass audio (including instrument trax and fx returns)
#3. put a vcc master on your master buss, or alternatively, you could use masters where you are bussing from within your signal chain.
#4. open the slate group pane and select either all or similar trax (drums, vox, etc.) and assign to desks.

#5. listen.

ideally, listen to the whole trak one way, then switch, and listen again.
try to avoid quick a/b's where you might get fooled by a gain change.

and yes, using ctl, or shift-ctl (for selected trax) works fine.

#6. i hope i'm not contributing to further more biebs' global domination.

e

(and don't you mean ritard?!?)
Old 11-30-2012, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elicious View Post
#1. try out diff signal flows and let your ears decide. experiment.

or

#2. visualize an analog console; put vcc channels on strips that pass audio (including instrument trax and fx returns)
#3. put a vcc master on your master buss, or alternatively, you could use masters where you are bussing from within your signal chain.
#4. open the slate group pane and select either all or similar trax (drums, vox, etc.) and assign to desks.

#5. listen.

ideally, listen to the whole trak one way, then switch, and listen again.
try to avoid quick a/b's where you might get fooled by a gain change.

and yes, using ctl, or shift-ctl (for selected trax) works fine.
( not on waves nls, but that's a different thread...)

#6. i hope i'm not contributing to further more biebs' global domination.

e

(and don't you mean ritard?!?)
Haha

Sounds like a plan. I am not a noob if 12 yrs of music production as a job counts but as I have tried what you suggest I am left with 2 qs:

Is it not going on midi trax and which one of all the tracks should be assigned as a "master" to cotrol all the channels? I thought that the Masterbus was controling all channels? Thats what I Am stuck with but thanks for this post! I am starting to see the light but still these 2 questions left

All the best
// Chris

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 11-30-2012, 07:47 AM

You have to assign the channels to groups. Then when you adjust a control on any of them it will affect all the plug ins in that group. Make sense?

On my rig when I add it to all tracks at once I end up with dual-mono instead of stereo on stereo tracks. I don't know I'd this really affects anything, but I know crosstalk is one of the plugs "features". So I use stereo versions just to make sure. It may make no difference. Just a thought.

And I prefer to mix and match consoles. API on drums, neve on bass and guitars, and trident on vocals. But there is nothing wrong with grouping everything into one group and only using one console type.

Also midi tracks won't be affected by it. Instrument tracks will though. So no need to use it on midi tracks.

I use the buss version on the master buss, any sub mix auxes (like drums for example) and fx send auxes. But that's just a matter of preference.

Also watch your gain staging. Keeping things below 0 on the meters is a good idea. But don't get them too low either IMO.

Lastly I also have VTM and put it before VCC on the individual channels, so it's like tape feeding into the console. And then VTM after VCC on the master fader as it goes "back to tape".
Old 11-30-2012, 07:59 AM

Quote:
On my rig when I add it to all tracks at once I end up with dual-mono instead of stereo on stereo tracks.
after instantiating all your mono versions of vcc
(and yes, you'll end up with multi-mono vers first pass)
go back to a stereo trak,
ctl or shift-ctl-clic on all selected trax, insert vcc, and it will replace all instances with the "better" mulit-channel versions...
e