Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2002, 05:24 PM

Default APC or TrippLite ?

Pros Cons To Either , Any Opinions would be appreciated.
I Figure the cheapest rackmount without a fan, that generates a pure sinewave .....

Any Good or Bad experiences with either brand ??

Thanks.. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 08-21-2002, 08:12 PM

Default Re: APC or TrippLite ?

I pressume your talking about 2U UPS's. I've used both on two HD systems in the past week. The only difference I can tell is the TrippLite has a loud fan, but by the time I started up my CPU, Expansion Chassis and Hard Drive Bay, it didn't make much of a difference. Audio wise, if there is a diffrence, it's so minut, you can't hear it. Hope this helped.
Old 08-21-2002, 09:05 PM

I have never place a scope on the output of either to see if they actually output a pure sine wave, but I will say that every tripplite product I have used has either caught fire or just plain stopped passing any voltage at some point. The APC 1400's seem to be the longest lasting (within pricing reason and with a regular electrical plug) and have the best runtime in the event of an actual power outage - I won't use anything else, BUT (and there is always a butt) I am an IT manager by day so my experience with UPSes is mostly based around computer use and not recording equipment.
Oh, and Before anyone asks - I don't think my bad experience with tripplite is because of just plain ole' bad electricity or voltage because this has happened in several different sites spread over several years, but this is just my experience. Tripplite certainly has the better pricing...
I will say, get some extra hands if mounting ANY UPS in a rack - especially an overhead rack. We had a kid working for us that thought he was cocky enough to mount them by himself. He was successful for a while, but when he slipped it got ugly [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] He is OK, but man that was a big cut on his head [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
Old 08-21-2002, 11:07 PM

You should also look at MGE. They make a wide range of high end UPS, including two space rack mount versions. Not cheap. But they have a better looking output than the others.

If we were talking about servers and such, I might go with any model that was reliable, with a tolerable battery life, cheap and provided automated software based safe shutdowns.

Do your audio a favor and at least investigate the MGE line.

http://www.mgeups.com/products/pdt12...html/frame.htm
Old 08-22-2002, 06:46 AM

My APC BackUPS Pro has served me quite well going on 4 years now. I replaced the battery at the first of this year and it was a simple process. It provides service to my Mac, PT I/O's, Glyph Trip rack, 21" monitor, Procontrol, Nanosyncs, and a pair of powered Dynaudio monitors. I have witnessed at least two power outages in the middle of a work day and I had plenty of time to finish the edits I was working on and power everything down.

BTW the APC warranty and protection insurance they offer should tell you how much faith they have in their product.
Old 08-23-2002, 12:35 AM

Personally, I think the build quality of APC is better. I have a rack-mount 1400, and it handles my rather large daw rig very nicely. I haven't been as impressed with Tripplite stuff. That being said, both of these companies have a huge variety of products, and I've only seen a small fraction of what they make.

Whatever you do, get a unit that's comfortably larger than what you need right now. Keep in mind that with larger units, you're going to need a special circuit to handle them (with the appropriate jack). Also keep in mind that once you move out of the range of cheap units designed for casual home-office computer set-ups, you're looking at something with fans (and since these units are intended for machine rooms, they're not especially quiet).

This is definitely an item to be purchased as a commodity, so shop around and find the cheapest place to buy using pricewatch, cnet, etc.

Lee Blaske