Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2001, 04:55 PM

Default Re: Apogee Trak2 as sole front end?

The thing that intrigues me about the Trak2 is the capability to connect to Protools direct via a Ambus card thereby allowing this unit to function as a 2 track mix down machine in addition to the multitrack I/O via the 888/24's in a system. So, a person could have three 888/24's and a trak 2 and have a full 24 track I/O plus a 2 track mixdown I/O system via the Trak 2. This coupled with say an Avalon 747 would create a pretty cool mixdown path. digidesign would do well to come out with an affordable version of the same.
Old 01-27-2001, 07:04 AM

Hey, you said "Digi" and "affordable" in the same sentence.
Old 01-29-2001, 04:39 PM

Frustrating when there are few real user stories to go by aint it...

Call Adam Cohen at Apogee and ask him where you can test drive one, tell him I sent you.
Jules

Julian Standen
London
UK
www.gearslutz.com
Old 12-26-2001, 12:17 AM

All very interesting. Presently debating 888 vs. Trak2. Any more actual head-to-head feedback?
Old 12-26-2001, 05:31 AM

I have setup and used the Trak2 with the Protools AMBus Card as the only audio interface with a Mix Cube Protools. The Trak2 sounded great.

My only issue with the Trak2, unlike any Digi hardware or the Apogee AD8000, is that it cannot be set to accept sample rate changes from Protools settings under the PT Hardware setup. If your working at only one sample rate all the time, this isn't a problem. But a post house that gets PT sessions from outside sources with different sample rates has to change the sample rate on the Trak2 box itself to match the PT session. Just one more thing that can go wrong in the fast and furious world of post production.
Old 12-26-2001, 06:48 AM

Update:

So I did purchase the Trak2 back in June and I must say it is awesome!

I'm using it as part of my 'portable'/home system. It is the only interface hanging off of that system (mix3). The combo of features is why I bought it (headphone out, mic pres, ad/da, and of course direct protools ambus connection...all in 1 rack space) but the sound quality is really sweet.

There was an issue with the screen, and the apogee folks were good about getting it fixed.

Lastly, I haven't hooked it up yet, but there is now Mac software that will remotely control ALL settings in the unit (there are many settings!) via midi.

Take care,

Bryan
Old 12-26-2001, 09:35 AM

The unit does create quite a bit of heat as you might expect cramming so much stuff into a 1U machine. It also has a noticable fan. I opted for the PSX 100 SE and an Avalon 737.
Peace
Old 12-26-2001, 10:49 AM

This is probably a good time to sit tight and wait to see what Winter NAMM (1/17/02) brings. Lots of the equipment discussed in this thread may soon be obsolete.

Certainly, for the future, integrated mic-pre/convertor units are going to be superior in many respects to separate mic-pres going to line level convertors (like an 888|24). It's a simple matter of engineering design. A traditional mic pre does a lot of amplification to bring the signal level up to +4. When the signal gets into something like an 888|24, all that gain must be attenuated because the A/D chips need a low level signal. When you optimize the mic pre for the A/D chip, you solve the gain structure problem, and should end up with much better specs. It's just a matter of someone designing such a combo with a desirable character.

Presently, the Metric Halo Mobile i/o is such a unit, and the early adopters have been giving very good reports. MOTU also has the 896 on the way. It'll be interesting to see if Digi follows suit and releases an interface with high end mic pres (like a Digi 001, but higher quality and more than two). The only thing I fear is that if Digidesign does this, the preamps might be designed by Focusrite (as they did with the Control 24). Unfortunately, after some recent experiences, I've lost all respect for Focusrite equipment. I've also noticed that Focusrite has a very poor reputation on audio discussion lists these days.

Lee Blaske
Old 12-26-2001, 11:18 AM
Apogee Digital

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Doug Rider:
My only issue with the Trak2, unlike any Digi hardware or the Apogee AD8000, is that it cannot be set to accept sample rate changes from Protools settings under the PT Hardware setup.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Doug,

The latest firmware version of the Digi8+ Ambus card ( 3.1) does accept sample rate changes from Pro Tools. (make sure dip switch #2 is set to the closed position).

This is a free upgrade so please give us a call and we will either send you the chip or swap out the card, which ever is appropriate (depending how old the Digi8+ card is, there are other enhancements that may need to be done).
Old 12-26-2001, 11:28 AM
Apogee Digital

Correction:

Sorry about the post holiday brain spasm re: Trak2 accepting sample rates from Pro Tools....

Doug you are absolutely right. The Trak2, even with the latest Digi8+ firmware does not support this feature. Hopefully it will in the near future, so stay in touch and when there's a solution we'll let you know.

Take care.