Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2006, 03:57 PM

Default I have a problem...and I hope somebody has a fix

Ok, so heres the deal...

I work at a studio...one room is running Windows with an HD3...and the other is running Mac....I have 6.9.1 on the windows machine...and 6.7 on the mac....

Here's the problem...Both rooms record to Firewire drives....BUT....I want the Mac to be able to write data to the windows formatted firewire drives....So I don't have to keep transferring back and forth and back and forth between the mac and pc drives....since I use both rooms on a regular basis...

Can somebody help??? I heard there was an OSX update or something that made this possible...I have been out of the mac world for quite some time(used to have 3)....So any help is very much appreciated....

thx
brian
Old 05-25-2006, 04:16 PM

Default Re: I have a problem...and I hope somebody has a fix

Hi,

Format to fat 32 and both mac and pc will read that.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 05-25-2006, 04:20 PM

Default Re: I have a problem...and I hope somebody has a f

no fix that I know of...

But look at this way, by having two drives, one formatted by Mac and the other by windows, you have a good backup scheme !
Every time you finish working on your session, on one system, before closing down, you copy it on the other disk. Only thing is you will need macdrive to mount your Mac volume on windows...

Maybe using file synchronizing software you can even only copy the files that have changed...
Pro Tools Ultimate & Carbon
M2 Max Studio
Old 05-25-2006, 04:22 PM

Default Re: I have a problem...and I hope somebody has a f

FAT32 on mac will only be a transfer volume in Pro tools I believe ...
Pro Tools Ultimate & Carbon
M2 Max Studio
Old 05-25-2006, 05:08 PM

Default Re: I have a problem...and I hope somebody has a fix

You might also consider networking the two machines. Then you won't need to worry about the disk format. Just share your firewire disk from either your Mac or your PC, and you'll be able to access it on the network (make sure you give write permissions to network users). I'm not sure if Pro Tools will allow you to use such a volume as a playback or record volume. But even if it doesn't, I think you might be able to force it to. I remember having some projects on my system volume, and PT wouldn't open them, because they were on a transfer volume, so I had to manually set the volume preference from T to R.
If you find this at all interesting, I'll be happy to explain this in more detail.

Paul