Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Digidesign Hardware & Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2011, 01:35 AM

Default 96 I/O plus 192 I/O PLUS ADAT Bridge on Legacy...possible ?

Hey Guys

I have a HD 1 running on one PCI-E Card, no additional cards. ( = 32 tracks)
Protools 8.1 software on a quadcore mac

A 96 I/O is connected to the card, and a 192 digital is hooked onto the expansion port.

NOW: I have a chance to buy an ADAT bridge (24 bit !) from a friend for a very good price and including the neccessary y-cable. When I would connect it to the second interface (the 192) now via the legacy port ... do all 3 interfaces show up in my ProTools hardware setup then ? With all routing options ? Or is it an "either / or" meaning I have to decide which 2 of the 3 interfaces I use for my "virtual patching" or even having to switch one of the three off for the other two to work correctly ?

It would only make sense for me if I could run all 3 simultaneausly and patch like I please (of course always staying restricted to the max of 32 channels of input / output at a time I suppose)

E.g. there are situations where I would like to use 2 analog in's and 8 adat in's of the 96 I/O plus all AES EBU in's of the 192 digital interface PLUS e.g. 6 more channels from the ADAT bridge inputs... so still 32 in all, but from all 3 interfaces at the same time...

I would GREATLY APPRECIATE if anybody knows, or maybe even has a similar setup (like two "modern" I/O's and an oldtimer like 888, Adat bridge whatever) on the legace at the same time

THANKS !!
Old 07-24-2011, 05:14 AM

Default Re: 96 I/O plus 192 I/O PLUS ADAT Bridge on Legacy...possible ?

Hi Luke,

The only way to incorporate all 3 interfaces would be to get another accell card. The legacy port and expansion ports are either/or and you can only daisy chain two interfaces together. So the best way to set up would be:

Core card - 192 - adat bridge
accel card - 96

Digi recommends you always put the more powerful interfaces first in the chain, so 192 before 96, in the real world I'm not really sure how/if it affects things.

:)

PT8 HD 2, Apple G5 1.8GHz dual core,96 i/o, 888 i/o, 96i i/o, Control 24