Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started

Old 10-15-2018, 05:14 PM

Default Latency Riddle

Yesterday, I recorded four tracks and everything sounded good. Then when I tried to record (overdub) a fifth track there was a Latency problem (it's not the first time). So I closed Pro Tools, and opened a different recording program (Reaper) to check an unrelated project. I then reopened Pro Tools and the Latency was gone.

Today, I went back to the Project and the Latency returned. Since I don't know WTF is going on, I decided to repeat the steps that I had followed yesterday to try an solve the problem.

So I closed Pro Tools, opened Reaper and started a new Project, closed Reaper, and reopened Pro Tools. Once again the Latency was gone???????

Pro Tools is set to the "Low Latency Recording" option, and I am not using any plug-ins.

Interface Model: Tascam US 16 x 08

Computer (DAW): Windows Lap Top G6IT3KB9 6 GB RAM

Operating System: Windows 10
64-bit operating system x 64 based processor

Upper right-hand corner of Desktop: 6.8/15mg ASIO
Old 10-15-2018, 05:28 PM

Default Re: Latency Riddle

What PT version are you using? That 6GB ram is probably causing errors and which exact Laptop is it? Windows laptops are notoriously problematic with PT and I know there are only a select few that works as expected.

Also what is the buffer size set to?
Have all the optimizations been followed?
No disc in the optical bay? (DVD/CD)
Drivers of the Tascam up to date?

Maybe look at this and post back the info needed to troubleshoot this.
http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=300050

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 10-15-2018, 09:47 PM

Thank you for the response. I'm using the PT Free Version. Don't know which Laptop I'm using, other then the info I provided? But I could find out.

In the Free Version that I have you can't set the Buffer size directly. In Options you can select "Low Latency Recording", and I believe it automatically resets to something like a 42.5 Buffer size.

I'm not sure what you mean by all the optimizations being followed. There is no disc in the optical bay, and the drivers of the Tascam have been updated.

BTW: Any idea why the Latency would be intermittent in the way that I described in my original post? Thanks!
Old 10-15-2018, 11:51 PM

Scroll down the forum sections to Additional Resources and look at the Optimization Guides part in there.
The latency may be caused by not enough RAM. When you exit PT open Reaper then exit that, you may be freeing up RAM resources which PT can then use.
Dell Precision 490 Workstation, dual 4 core 5355 Xeon, 16gb Samsung DDR2 ECC Ram - Windows 7 Ultimate - Nvidia GTX 650 - 3 x Internal WD Blacks - PT 2018.3 - Digi 002R - Original Mackie HUI - 3 screens - JBL Monitoring.
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790 - 24gb RAM - Windows 10 - Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB with Studio driver 546.01 - 2 x Internal Samsung 860 EVO SSDs, and MSATA card - Davinci Resolve Studio 18.6.4 - 3 screens - Blackmagic Speed Editor - MK1 Presonus Faderport - Canon C100 mk2 - Atomos Ninja 2 - Zoom H2n