Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2009, 11:57 AM

Default Just running demo of Softube Fet compressor, anyone for a bit of 1176?

Well sort of 1176. looks a bit like a HI-fI Tuner from the 70's, keep expecting to hear ABBA when i turn the dials

So far i like it, but haven't tried it on many sources.

Nice having the filters built in to the detection circuit!

http://www.softube.se/fet_compressor.php

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 03-29-2009, 12:30 PM

Default Re: Just running demo of Softube Fet compressor, anyone for a bit of 1176?

It's a damn nice plugin.

If you dig the 1176 (I do) this is the one.
Old 03-29-2009, 12:59 PM

Default Re: Just running demo of Softube Fet compressor, anyone for a bit of 1176?

Hi Kenny and Chris,

I really dig the UAD 1176 plugin wich is not working in leopard ( i have PT 8 and leopard on a partition on my drive but i'm still working in 7.4 and tiger).

I heard about the softube but i did not try the demo yet.
Could it be a replacement fot my trusty UAD?

I am curious to hear your opinion about this one, and if you can compare it with other plugs you own (and maybe that i own too...)

Thanks!

Luc
Old 03-29-2009, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioluche View Post
Hi Kenny and Chris,

I really dig the UAD 1176 plugin wich is not working in leopard ( i have PT 8 and leopard on a partition on my drive but i'm still working in 7.4 and tiger).

I heard about the softube but i did not try the demo yet.
Could it be a replacement fot my trusty UAD?

I am curious to hear your opinion about this one, and if you can compare it with other plugs you own (and maybe that i own too...)

Thanks!

Luc
Hi,

had the same problem when i went to 8 i lost my UAD 1176 which i loved on stuff like acoustic guitar and drum bus. i'll test on other stuff in the coming week and let you know what i find. but it does seem to have a lot going for it, plus its coded by the same people who did the tube-tech CL-1B.

also got a UAD 1 pcie card coming to try, but not sure if that will work yet!! but would be nice to get the 1176 back in the sessions.

chris

Producer, Engineer,

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 03-30-2009, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crizdee View Post
Hi,

had the same problem when i went to 8 i lost my UAD 1176 which i loved on stuff like acoustic guitar and drum bus. i'll test on other stuff in the coming week and let you know what i find. but it does seem to have a lot going for it, plus its coded by the same people who did the tube-tech CL-1B.

also got a UAD 1 pcie card coming to try, but not sure if that will work yet!! but would be nice to get the 1176 back in the sessions.

chris
Hi Chris,

OK, Let me know!
I am tempted too but the UAD card road but i'm waiting to see what the next few months will bring us...
Either change my G5 for a Mac Pro with a PCIe chassis and the put an extra UAD card or wait for the next mega powerfull HD system and crossgrade. (dreaming here)

Thanks!

Luc
Old 03-30-2009, 06:50 PM

I'm using it on Bass and Vocals now.

Very smooth. Don't care for it on drums though.
Old 03-30-2009, 08:55 PM

I covered this on a previous thread. Here's what I said back then. Still applies...

Did the test between the UAD 1176 and SofTube FET. Unfortunately, the UAD wins, hands down. Softube did a good job on the low end, but was not nearly as good in the slow attack/fast release setting that the 1176 is known for. This was especially notable on toms. The UAD let the transient get through, to get that punch before compression, the SofTtube didn't. SofTube's metering was also very slow on release and not at all like a hardware 1176, or the UAD plug. Makes me wonder what kind of shape the unit they modeled was in.

Sorry to say that if you like the UAD 1176 this is not a replacement for it. We'll have to stay on UAD's case to make aTDM update (and yes, I know that will be very difficult, if not impossible). I, for one, will keep pushing for this.
Old 03-31-2009, 03:15 AM

Hi,

Well i can't say if it is a real replacement for the 1176, i know the UAD had something about it that i couldn't get on any other compressor! but i had a play last night with FET and its a very versatile compressor with some cool features? especially the detection filters!

did a quick video whilst i was testing on some overheads etc, as i'm still looking for a replacement for the SSL LMC compressor thats not available for Intel and this puppy looks like it could fit the bill.

here's the utube of the overheads...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZCdeU_CDsg

Chris

Producer, Engineer,

www.ukmastering.com

Old 03-31-2009, 03:38 AM

Comp sounds fine but your mixer is scaring me!
Chris I need sunglasses on to look at that!! For the love of all things sacred please post a warning before allowing unsuspecting "regular grey mixer" folk to even catch a glimpse of that carnival of horror.
I need to lay down for a while.
Old 03-31-2009, 03:16 PM

Here's the other thread http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=234005

I kinda liked it...didn't buy it yet though.

First impression was better than last impression

iMac27 i9 3.6 (late 2019) / 64 GB Ram / OS 10.15.7
Apollo 8 / PT Ultimate 2020.9.1