Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2007, 05:22 PM

Default Question re: audition quality vs the recorded track...

Hi,

I haven't been here in a while and am just now getting back into using my hd system again. This is something that's always bugged me, but I've never really brought it up here.
Question: When you guys are about to record a distorted guitar track and you have the track selected so you can play along with the tracks on playback, does the sound quality sound exactly the same to you as when you play back the track after recording?
What I notice is that I can get the guitar tone/sound the way I want it going into and out of the Digi 192 when I'm just jamming along with the other tracks, but once it's recorded, the recorded track played back sounds fizzy and like some of the life has been sucked out of it. It's like what you'd expect a crappy converter to do to a guitar track. This doesn't make sense to me because when I'm auditioning the tone, I'm monitoring from the Digi 192 outs.
Should I have an audible loss in quality from audition to the recorded track...and why? It doesn't make sense to me and almost makes me wonder if part of that "pro tools just sounds bad" argument isn't a little bit right.

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated. I'm a bit stumped.

thanks,
Steve
Old 11-05-2007, 02:17 AM

Default Re: Question re: audition quality vs the recorded track...

Quote:
Question: When you guys are about to record a distorted guitar track and you have the track selected so you can play along with the tracks on playback, does the sound quality sound exactly the same to you as when you play back the track after recording?
Nope never...

Quote:
What I notice is that I can get the guitar tone/sound the way I want it going into and out of the Digi 192 when I'm just jamming along with the other tracks, but once it's recorded, the recorded track played back sounds fizzy and like some of the life has been sucked out of it. It's like what you'd expect a crappy converter to do to a guitar track. This doesn't make sense to me because when I'm auditioning the tone, I'm monitoring from the Digi 192 outs.?
The only thought I have is that you are tracking too hot or at an extremely low sample rate... But that still doesn’t quite make sense but it’s a good place to start...

Try making sure you peak out at -6db when you track & that your session is 24bit and at least 44k.

N