Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)

Old 02-18-2004, 02:11 PM

Default Matrox Graphics cards

Has anyone ever had success using the Matrox Millennium P650 or the Millennium P750?
I'm using the G550 which is the only certified card on the IBM.
But since the machine is in another room about 10m away, and G550 has it's dedicated breakout cable,
I need to use several cable adapters and extenders, which causes noise.

I'm thinking of getting a Graphics card with direct DVI outpus, and also good hi quaility cables,
so that I can go directly to the DVI monitors

Regards
Old 02-20-2004, 05:50 AM

Default Re: Matrox Graphics cards

Hi

I'm using a P750 on my PTLE system (with 5.3.1) and it's working OK, though the QT preview to full screen TV out is still an unresolved issue, and it's currently somewhere in discussion between Matrox and Digidesign (at least I hope they are discussing it). The rest is OK, I'm running two CRT monitors with separate resolutions and a TV screen to sync to picture; there's a workaround to the QT problem, but I hope they have it fixed sooner or later, otherwise I'll get back to my trusty G450. Apart from this the card works great.

Hope this helps

L.G.
Old 02-22-2004, 03:59 AM

There's some discussion on Matrox cards here

But maybe you can sort out your particular problem with some clever software from Maxivista here, an old pc, and a long crossover networking cable. There's some discussion about it on DUC forums here and here

Old 02-23-2004, 04:38 PM

I'm wavering on which card to buy.
The Matrox P650 or the P750.

Since I plan to get the AVXL option in the future, I don't really need the TV out feature currently.
Does that mean the P650 will be good enough?

Thanks
Old 02-24-2004, 02:20 AM

If you think you dont need the TV out feature at the moment I'd say go with the 650: it's expandable with an optional kit to match the 750 features should you need it, and being fanless it will make for a less noisy PC, that's why Matrox specifies it for DAWs.

Hope the TV out issues will be solved out though.

Hope this helps

L.G.
Old 02-25-2004, 03:04 AM

But your PC is 10m away? That means it's not in the same room as your recording in? So a bit of fan noise is not such an issue..?
So my 2p worth on the 650/750 choice is go 750. There is a workaround to the video issue (but in the long run I'm sure there will be a proper fix).
I'd also say avoid thinking in terms of future upgrades. It's all time, money, hassle. Get it over with now and get on with the music.
Old 02-25-2004, 07:02 AM

Karel Bata ,
Anyway you can point me to the work around or explain it to me. Thanks,
Brandon
Custom Build CPU, HDX 1, Omni, 192 I/O Digital
S6 M10 24 fader
Satellite Mac Pro, HDNative, 192 I/0
Black Magic HD Extreme
Old 02-25-2004, 08:54 AM

Well

If the price difference isn't that much you may as well go with the 750 just like I did; I still have to try the workaround (I'm still working with the zoom function) but for the rest it's a great card, really high quality.

Karel, I got your email, but I'm not sure I got it's meaning (forgive my dumbness, I'm in the heat of the editing of this feature, and I think I need a rest...); do you mean I should update the Matrox power desk utility for some reason?

L.G.
Old 02-25-2004, 02:08 PM

Thanks guys.
I ended up getting the P750.
Since the difference was only $66,
and it's definitely the better card!!

Tomio
Old 02-25-2004, 04:51 PM

Brandon,

I think it's all spelled out on this thread here.

Lorennzo,

I've been exchanging mails with Kari Starck, which I forwarded to you. He seems to be saying that his version of the Matrox software had limited monitor adjustment capabalities, so he loaded a friend's older version (1.5.0.107) which allowed him to follow the settings Aza sent us. I was just wondering if you might be in a similar position.

(By the way, Aza specified that he was running DirectX8.1 - which is what I have. If you have DirectX9 and the card doesn't work (unlikely, but...) you might try removing DirectX9 with this , and installing 8.1 with this. XP comes with 8.1 built in, so if you haven't installed 9 yourself, 8.1 is still there)

K