Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools SE and Essential (Win)

Old 04-16-2010, 11:38 AM

Default Press Arm Record then Play and have to wait 3 miniutes before record/playback starts

I just got PTMP 8.0.3. When recording MIDI it works wonderfully. But when I try to record through my Fast Track USB(listed as PTMP compatible) it freezes PT for a few miniutes and maxes out my CPU. I have 4GB RAM. Arming the transport on an Audio track then arming record on the transport then pressing play makes PT freeze and say (NOT RESPONDING). 3 miniutes later the click track starts and recording commences. Does anyone else have this problem?
I record audio onto my usb hard drive which I know isnt compatible, but I tried it also on my C: drive and it did the same thing. I just dont know what to do, please help. Thanks.
Old 04-16-2010, 11:46 AM

Default Re: Press Arm Record then Play and have to wait 3 miniutes before record/playback sta

Oh and my specs are:

Dell Inspiron 530
Windows Vista Home 32bit
4GB RAM
PTMP 8.0.3
M- Audio Fast Track USB
WD 1 terabyte USB external hard drive
Old 04-16-2010, 11:57 AM

Default Re: Press Arm Record then Play and have to wait 3 miniutes before record/playback sta

A. Make sure preroll is off.
B. Try without the click.
C. Disable all plugins.
D. Change your buffer settings up and down to see if that helps. It will generally lead an idea what's causing it.
E. Has pt ever recorded properly before?
F. Have you tweaked your computer for audio?
Old 04-16-2010, 12:06 PM

no pt has never properly recorded. and I am not sure what you mean by tweaked? I have run audio tests and what not and everything was ok if thats what you mean. All other programs...Nuendo, reaper, fruity loops...all dont have this problem., thanks
Old 04-16-2010, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Muphin Man View Post
no pt has never properly recorded. and I am not sure what you mean by tweaked? I have run audio tests and what not and everything was ok if thats what you mean. All other programs...Nuendo, reaper, fruity loops...all dont have this problem., thanks
In the PT prefs is a setting called "open ended recording allocation" try setting that to 10 minutes or what ever you think your song will be. This usually will make the transport respond snappier. Otherwise before it starts to roll it looks at all of the available free space on the disk and calculates how much room is available.

If your using the USB drive as the destination for your audio files be happy its working at all.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 04-18-2010, 02:38 PM

i did the "open ended recording allocation" thing. i set it to five miniutes and it only takes about 2 seconds now. thats reasonable. thanks.
Old 04-24-2010, 08:48 AM

I am havng a similar issue..
I've tried every single thing mentioned in this thread with no luck

It will play INSTANTLY if no tracks are record enabled, but when I need to record, and press play/rec. It takes about 6-10 seconds before it will actually start

I've been tweaking everything, i mean EVERYTHING for the past 2 days, trying to figure this out.. I've defragged and optimized all of my drives, cleaned my disks, uninstalled almost everything but pro tools, Re-installed PT multiple times, reinstalled my Interface's Drivers multiple times.. I even tried creating a new user account thinking maybe it had something to do with a program running in the background on my main user account..
No Luck...
I've made sure Bit rates and sample rates are all the same, even tried different configurations..
I've gotten errors regarding Elastic audio eating up all the CPU's power, so I've even tried an entire session with elastic audio disabled.. No luck..

I just cant figure this out!
It's happened before, but went away fairly quickly, and sort of on it's own.. But it's not going away on It's own this time..

PTMP 7.4 cs2 on Windows Vista 64-bit.. I've been using this setup for over a year now with no problems (except a couple during the original setup process) And it's been extremely reliable and smooth up until now.. It used to be an instant reaction to whatever I told it to do..
Old 05-13-2010, 01:28 PM

humm I think that is easy, I faced this before.

Looks like you guys have some wav file or session project file in another volume. Session Project file and all waves file takes to be at the same volume I think.

Well, I just send everything to C:\something then once a day I backup the session.
Old 09-10-2010, 07:03 PM

I had the exact same problem. I installed 8.03 on WinXP Pro SP3 and it worked like normal for a while before starting to wait 2min to play back with normal buffer settings etc.

I tried setting the "open ended recording allocation" to 20min and now it works great, still not instant but more like a couple seconds. Thank you sunburst79!

Now that I understand the solution, I think the problem started when I put a 1TB drive into my external eSATA enclosure. There used to be a 300GB one in there before.

Thanks again!