Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started

Old 06-17-2019, 02:59 PM

Default Punch in recording Pre/Post Roll Loop

I'm trying to convert from Ableton and have one pretty major thing I have not figured out in Pro Tools. I want to loop a track so that I can play lead over several bars until I like the take. I need it to loop to the pre roll point so every time it loops I get to get a feel for the entry point where the lead starts. On the loop currently it returns to the recording insert point not the pre roll position. How do I do this ...thanks!
Old 06-17-2019, 04:38 PM

Default Re: Punch in recording Pre/Post Roll Loop

Are you loop-recording?(I would) If so, have you set(in Preferences) so Loop Recording automatically creates a new playlist on each pass. After that, assuming you have set the amount of PRE and POST roll you want, are PRE and POST actually enabled? On the Transport section where you set PRE and POST times, Pre-roll and Post-roll need to be highlighted(Ctrl-K toggles them on/off)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 06-17-2019, 05:08 PM

Thanks...!

Yes pre and post roll are set to 2 and highlighted. It starts at the pre point...records when it hits the insert selection...then once it hits the post roll marker goes back to the when recording insert started NOT the pre roll spot.

What I want is for it to loop like that, but instead of going the start of the recording insert it goes back to the pre roll marker which is currently "2" before where the recording insert should start...at least by the entry in the pre roll field in the transport section.
Old 06-17-2019, 07:25 PM

In Pro Tools, on loop record using pre-roll, it only applies to the first "take." It won't go back and pre-roll each loop. That's just the way it is.

What I would suggest is taking your lead-in track and have it on a separate track than your record loop track. On your lead in track, cut where you want to start recording and mute after that (or any number of bars you are covering.) Don't use pre/post roll but highlight the whole selection that would have been your pre/post roll. Then put your record track into loop record.

You'll hear the lead in up until where you've cut/mute the clip from that track and on your record track, you can loop record to your heart's content each time hearing your pre/post roll on the loops.
Pro Tools Ult 2024.3, HDX 2, MTRX/SPQ, RME BBF Pro + MADIface Pro • S1 x 2, Fire HD10 + Max11, Dock, iPad Air5 • Mac Mini 14,12, 12 core, macOS 13.6.5 • RAM 32GB, SSD 4TB, GPU 19 core • QNAP TVS-872XT 148TB TB3

Last edited by BScout; 06-17-2019 at 07:37 PM. Reason: re-arranged sentences to follow the order they should be done
Old 06-18-2019, 06:13 AM

That approach makes sense. This was the first thing that while really accomplishing the same thing takes a slightly different approach. I kind of like the way Ableton does that, but PT is proving to be far more straight forward on most things and at least for me...more stable so far.
Old 06-19-2019, 02:47 PM

Extend the punch in and out area 2 bars either side of the area you want to record. You can cut out what isn’t needed later... then you can do as many comps as you like until you happy or take the good bits from several takes and combine into one.
2.2GHz 6 core 8 gen Intel Core i7 processor (TB’s to 4.1GHz)
32 Gb of 2400MHz DDR4, 1T SSD, Magic Mouse and Keyboard
Pro Tools 2022.7 -23.# - HEAT applied, RME Fireface UCX II
........and a bowl of M&M's
———————————————————————————
Old 06-20-2019, 06:13 AM

Thanks everybody!