Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2016, 10:08 PM

Default Mastering with Pro Tools Plugins???

I watched this You Tube & am trying it.

I think I'm missing something? When I import a song to Master it doesn't appear on all the Tracks? I must not be assigning Busses correctly? Any advice appreciated.

Thanks,

Larsongs

PS Link to You Tube http://youtu.be/SxHxWySyrSE
Old 02-22-2016, 12:57 PM

Default Re: Mastering with Pro Tools Plugins???

Its all done in the routing. Personally, I would not use the method shown as I have my own way of working. He is starting with the 2-mix, routing to an AUX track with some plugins, then routing again, and again....if you like to work that way, its fine. My preference is to get a great mix in the original session(with no master plugins) and bounce to disk at the session's sample rate and bit depth. Then I open that bounced stereo file into a new session(I prefer to master in Wavelab, but you wanted to do it in PT) and apply my mastering plugins directly on the track. My usual chain is:
EQ(hi-pass at 30Hz)
Slate VTM(tape warming)
FabFilter EQ(optional if something doesn't sound quite "right")
Waves L2(gentle limiting)
Waves L2(gentle limiting, plus dither)
and that's it. If I need a fade, I automate the track volume and then bounce it to 44.1K/16 bit(assuming I want a file to burn onto an audio CD). With stock plugins, it gets trickier, but the stock EQ III is a solid EQ. I can't think of anything stock that covers a "warming" stage. As for limiting, Maxim works, but its not my fave by any means. A budget option is Massey L2007(and they have a free demo that works great, but does not save its settings). Stock dither plugin is also fine.

Last 2 cents; the trick to brickwall limiters is to not make a single limiter do all the work. Set the first limiter to do 2-3db of gain reduction, and no more. If you need more volume, add a second limiter(same rules). If you still need more volume, add a 3rd and remember to do your dithering as the very last process.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-22-2016, 11:20 PM

Wavelab looks like the best way to go for me at some point. The Abbey Road Bundle looks great for Mixing & still studying their Mastering products. So much available it's mind boggling.

This is an experiment as I'm learning. Thought I'd start simple! Ha!

I've followed the video creating a Mastering Template & setting up the Tracks but the routing procedure is never discussed. I've tried routing several ways without success to route to each set of Tracks so they all play. I'm not doing something right?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

Larsongs
Old 02-23-2016, 12:46 AM

Mastering is done between your ears, the tools may differ. If your room isn't well tuned, forget it. There's a reason mastering is done in some other place where the stuff is mixed...
Old 02-23-2016, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Mastering is done between your ears, the tools may differ. If your room isn't well tuned, forget it. There's a reason mastering is done in some other place where the stuff is mixed...
Amen to that^^^^ Even though I HAVE lots of tools, and a better-than-average listening setup, and I DO "master" stuff that has no budget, I still don't ever call myself a mastering engineer(but I do applaud all who take a crack at it). If nothing else, you will learn to appreciate what a true pro does. I also highly recommend Bob Katz' book on mastering

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-23-2016, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post

I know that.

My Project Studio has been professionally designed by & treated with Aurelex. It has also been tuned to Flat by a Professional Sound Engr. using Spectrum Analyzer.

I do get good Mixes.

I am going to the next level. Mastering. I have been studying Bernie Grundman's Videos. I want to get more into this area of the Production Process. It is the icing on the Cake.

Like I said I'm trying to start simple & am looking for advice re; the Routing process on that YouTube. I appreciate any feedback regarding how it's done.

Thanks,

Larsongs
Old 02-23-2016, 11:53 AM

Massey's is golden. Depending on the material, it can easily beat TC 6000 which is a damn expensive piece of gear
Old 02-23-2016, 11:54 AM

Take a look at Brainworx bx-digital as well
Old 02-23-2016, 11:54 AM

For eq, Sonnox with GML option
Old 02-23-2016, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsongs View Post
I know that.

My Project Studio has been professionally designed by & treated with Aurelex. It has also been tuned to Flat by a Professional Sound Engr. using Spectrum Analyzer.

I do get good Mixes.
When you say tuned to flat do you mean there are NO peaks and valleys in the frequency response plot for the room? No echoes and such? How wide of a sweet spot at your mixing position do you have?

QAPLA!