Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2012, 08:39 AM

Default Re: Should i Join the Union?

it would seem LA rates are on a parity with London for the majors for a re-recording mixer - apart from overtime, that is a 'non word' in the uk. Consequence of the almost death of unions in broadcast

Now if we could could have some of your sunshine - it feels like Seattle here...

cheers

Mike Aiton BSc (hons)
Audio Consultant, Dubbing Mixer/Sound Designer & Journalist

BAFTA member
IPS member

----------------------------------------------------------------------
www.mikerophonics.com
Old 05-10-2012, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henchman View Post
You just described the working conditions in Vancouver.
And Non-Union LA. That's where the union and non-union make a difference.

In Non-Union, I feel the work suffers because people are just trying to get it done and the producers don't even care about the sound. They just want to meet the bottom line.

Not to say there isn't decent non-union shows and great sound jobs. Some may not be on par money wise as the union, but at least some do put forth an effort to make sure that the sound job is done well and far to the sound team.
Old 05-10-2012, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexaudio View Post
And Non-Union LA. That's where the union and non-union make a difference.

In Non-Union, I feel the work suffers because people are just trying to get it done and the producers don't even care about the sound. They just want to meet the bottom line.

Not to say there isn't decent non-union shows and great sound jobs. Some may not be on par money wise as the union, but at least some do put forth an effort to make sure that the sound job is done well and far to the sound team.
That happens on union shows as well. Being in the union has nothing to do with the quality of the work. There are some hacks who are in the union and there are some artists who are non-union.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:46 PM

Yikes those rates seem low to me. I'm making more than that (mixing) non-union.

How common is it to make more than the card rate on union gigs? I'm sure the big names aren't working for $64/hr.

I know of one network where you negotiate your rate when you're hired, the union negotiates yearly increases (NABET).
Old 05-10-2012, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggegan View Post
That happens on union shows as well. Being in the union has nothing to do with the quality of the work. There are some hacks who are in the union and there are some artists who are non-union.
I bust my a$@ on every job. i do the best with what i have regardless of pay. i just would like to work on bigger jobs. High profile jobs do not come by very often in my world.

For what its worth non-union jobs do not suffer form lack of talent. they suffer from disorganization. Producers who dont understand the process will affect the out come of any job.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
Yikes those rates seem low to me. I'm making more than that (mixing) non-union.

How common is it to make more than the card rate on union gigs? I'm sure the big names aren't working for $64/hr.

I know of one network where you negotiate your rate when you're hired, the union negotiates yearly increases (NABET).
Most established mixers I know earn considerably more than union scale. However, these days rates tend to slide up and down depending on the project's budget and how busy or slow things are. Lately there has been a lot of downward pressure on rates for all but the most elite mixers, but consider that even the worst case scenario of union scale is better pay than what the vast majority of people outside the industry earn. The trick is to keep working consistently. Working at Y1 daily scale for 35 full weeks with absolutely no overtime brings in over $100k.