Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2006, 10:44 AM

Default Pro Tools - State of the Union

Hi all. Wanted to take a minute and share a few thoughts on Digi from a (heavy) user's perspective.

Also want to be clear that these comments are coming from a good place, in that I spend the majority of my time with Pro Tools and want to be a part of making this software better as I, like many of you, have a substantial investment in PT and it's hardware.

We all know that competition on a software level is increasing, and it's partially because of this that Pro Tools current limitations are becoming more apparent to the every day user.

For those that have used use Ableton Live, the notion of being able to do many crucial creative tasks while the transport is running is a monumental feature for those that use workstations to write. Having to stop the transport to send audio to a delay is no longer acceptable when software that costs 300$ does this, and nearly everything else you can dream up, while keeping things running. You still cannot open a midi track without stopping the transport. These are no longer luxury features, but should be standard features for the 'industry standard' workstation. This seriously limits Pro Tools as a creative tool, and is why many pros turn to Logic, Cubase, Performer etc. to write.

I recently made the transition to 7 and noticed many new features, for instance the duplicate track function now has an additional step before it actually accomplishes the task. Many would argue that this is an annoyance, and I'm starting to wonder why Digi is filling the small holes while ignoring massive features, like PQ editing. Why do I have to fly my files out of my industry standard workstation and into Peak to accomplish what seems to be a fairly basic task? I would happily trade every single new function in 7 for PQ editing and I'm willing to bet that I'm not the only one.

I could go on and on here, the dreaded DSP shuffle (which is actually stranger in PT7??), buggy third party plug-ins, still charging for the mp3 export option (beyond ridiculous), my point here is that it is time for Digi to address the big stuff. Enough of the color coded tracks etc...they are useful features, but I really get the sense that you guys are throwing us bones, and nothing with any meat on them.

Regards,
dt
Old 08-15-2006, 11:26 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools - State of the Union

Quote:
For those that have used use Ableton Live, the notion of being able to do many crucial creative tasks while the transport is running is a monumental feature for those that use workstations to write. Having to stop the transport to send audio to a delay is no longer acceptable when software that costs 300$ does this, and nearly everything else you can dream up, while keeping things running. You still cannot open a midi track without stopping the transport.
I don't think that this is going to ever be possible with the current TDM hardware we're using (along with running interleaved tracks, and/or tracks of different bit depths; fast off-line bouncing, etc.). It's a hardware issue, not a lack of creative coding. You've got to keep in mind that Digidesign's TDM architecture was conceived in the 80's.

We'll have to wait and see what Digidesign brings out next to replace HD/Accel. Maybe it will be a radical departure from TDM.

I think you have to cut Digidesign some slack in this area. They could obviously move things ahead a LOT faster if they didn't need to worry about compatibility with a variety of legacy systems, not to mention the mountain of software put out by all the development partners. That's the downside of being an industry standard. People who have invested good money in relatively expensive PT rigs want a decent life span out of their hardware, and want to be able to collaborate with other studios using PT.

Lee Blaske
Old 08-15-2006, 11:35 AM

I too am a longtime user, and as you I´m not one that usually complain and moarn about stuff, - I try to be positive most of the time and work around limitations, - but I´m totally with you on this subject..

- may I ad prewiev of files in the workspace while the transport is running....!!!

- "real" import of ACID and REX, - and not the "crackling" one we got now where you have to fix the file after import.. - its a pain in the b..

Also I would like some more visual feedback, - some say its toy, but I really like the posibility in Logic to give the tracks icons. When working on large sessions it gives you much better overwiev of the session instead of having to decifre the "codes" PT chose for long names.... - mind you, - i dont like or use Logic much, - but they got some "smart"features as well as all the bad ones ;-)

Euro-Sound Studio
www.euro-sound.org
Old 08-15-2006, 11:46 AM

Quote:

Also I would like some more visual feedback, - some say its toy, but I really like the posibility in Logic to give the tracks icons. When working on large sessions it gives you much better overwiev of the session instead of having to decifre the "codes" PT chose for long names.... - mind you, - i dont like or use Logic much, - but they got some "smart"features as well as all the bad ones ;-)
Use the Comments Box ....

Quote:

- "real" import of ACID and REX, - and not the "crackling" one we got now where you have to fix the file after import.. - its a pain in the b..

AFIK I thought this was working OK in 7.0 ???
Old 08-15-2006, 11:47 AM

I do agree with you Lee, they have to keep alot of people happy, and I recognize that. Like I said, I'm in it with these guys for the long haul. However the fact remains, bouncing around on different pieces of software, PT is starting to feel 'old', and we are paying for these upgrades, that are dancing around the problems users need solved. Evolution is a bitch.
Old 08-15-2006, 11:53 AM

Hello. I don't discount any of what you are saying as moaning or bitching. As a matter of fact, because of the importance of your comments I think that is one of the main problems, if not the main problem Digidesign faces. Namely, who do you pay attention to when you decide to implement new features? The new 7.2 software update has been praised almost universally by Post Production guys, yet I don't think a lot of MIDI users see a lot to appeal to them.

If there is one thing I have learned is that there is no 'one size fits all' DAW software and there never will be. You can't be all things to all people, as much as Digidesign or anyone may try. Even amongst people who work in similar fields (composing, post, audio editing, etc) individual workflows, preferences, habits, etc are very, very, very different.

So I don't think any one piece of software will ever be the panacea that will be all things to all people, no matter the application or personal preference. What then? Even if that can not be achieved companies can try to get the features they feel the majority want and/or need. I suppose Digidesign will pay the most attention to whatever customer base they feel has the biggest need or can generate for them the biggest payoff in the long run or both.

So who do they listen to? If they implemented every one of your suggestions I could come in and say that none of those helped me and list ten others for me. And 10 other different users could come in with 10 separate issues, all legitimate.

Who would you listen to?
Old 08-15-2006, 12:14 PM

As a long time user of Pro Tools I'm sure you must agree that a lot of what you have wanted in the past has been incorporated in 7.2. Sure, it's not everything. But if you look at the many factions of users, (post, mixing, audio production, midi) there is little chance to make EVERYONE happy at the same time.

If you said Ableton Live to a Post guy, he would probably have a blank look on his face. However, I am sure the Post guys are doing a happy dance about the features in 7.2. There are huge advances in the latest software for them. Trust me. Digidesign does hear you. It really is about juggling the different worlds to find a balance. Do you remember back in 6.4 when everyone's' wish list was at least 20 items long? In January of 2005 there were a group of us meeting in Southern California with some of the Digidesign guys. They sat down with a lot of industry veterans and heard first hand about what we collectively needed from Pro Tools. I would say almost all of those features are in 7.2. Maybe what you need now will be in 7.3. It might be 8.0. But it will come. Slowly but surely things ARE getting better.

My New Instructional Mixing DVD 2 is Shipping
www.tonysound.com
http://twitter.com/tonysound
Old 08-15-2006, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Use the Comments Box ....

Quote:

AFIK I thought this was working OK in 7.0 ???
1. sorry, - cant read the comment-box acros the room, - when you got fx. 20 string tracks or just 5 for that matter in a large session, - visual is faster and more intuitive in my world. Also why I got a C24. Trust me, - I use the comment-box all the time, - I have to.

2. Yes, - or yes its there, and yes it should work, PT will sync an ACID or REX file - but wont strech the regions to close the gaps betwine them (cliks, pops, space..), - you have to do that with beat-detective after import.. - compare how Live is handeling ACID-files. Most of the time you have to record from Live to get a decent result with a loop..

Euro-Sound Studio
www.euro-sound.org
Old 08-15-2006, 01:00 PM

Hey Tony, tbh 7.2 seems to be a post pro. update and that's great...multiple video clips...beautiful.

However, DIgi stakes a big claim in the music industry and that is the pov I'm coming from, looking forward to 8.
Old 08-15-2006, 04:53 PM

As a post production guy i am not universally praising it. I can tell you that the track limitatiions is very frustrating, and also not being able to share and update sessions over a server or ethernet, as well as no bins, and i could keep going.... but i think the problem is that their code and cards are so outdated that it would take someone very forward thinking at digi to scrap it and start over. I'm guessing they are just riding the wave til it becomes extinct