Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9

Old 02-17-2012, 09:30 PM

Default Re: Manual Delay Comp Problem

Digi support Tech,
I enjoy recording to tape and porting that directly off the repro head into my Daw. Not a problem when recording the main tracks, but overdubs require a record offset to timestamp the audio and have it slip back in time. My current daw allows me to offset the record timestamp by up to 64000 samples. What is the max number of samples -> converted into milliseconds that can be used for the H/W Insert Delay? My typical sample delays at 88.2k are 7772 at 30 ips and approximately 15,000 at 15 ips. So can this amount of delay be corrected for using the H/W Insert delay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
I should have been more explicit and I also referenced the wrong person.

You don't have to say anything more than once - I get it. Sometimes, though, given the hundreds of DUC posts I'm not able to give every one of them the amount of attention it needs. The comments about someone being surprised that no one from Avid has chimed in is one of the reasons I wanted to at least put something in this thread, though I think, in hindsight, that it was premature.

SteveBoker had it right regarding the H/W Insert Delay in this post:

http://duc.avid.com/showpost.php?p=1711016&postcount=30

Now, unless I'm mistaken, that should work for you. Yes, I know you're NOT using inserts, but we're just doing this as a workaround. I should have been more clear on that.

And, yes, the ability to manually compensate for delays has not been fully implemented yet, for various reasons.

One thing I wanted to point out is that delays in interfaces should automatically be compensated for via the ASIO or Core Audio polling that occurs at driver level and the only manual compensation that should be needed is when you have an external device in your recording chain that's inducing additional delays.

I did want to point something out, though - you say:

The RME is your interface you're using for Pro Tools, correct? If so, it should automatically be compensated for as long as it's reporting it's correct delays via the ASIO or Core Audio driver. The only delay you should have to compensate for is for the device(s) between the microphone and the RME. Is that what you're doing? The buffer in the RME, if it's the primary Pro Tools interface, is automatically compensated for.
Old 05-06-2015, 01:18 PM

have you solved your issue?
I have a similar.
I'm using the non-HD version, 10.3.10, I've sold my crap 003, and bought the pro40 focusrite, that's sounds greater, but, I cannot use my outboard gear to mix phase issues (I cannot adjust parallel compression hearing the inbox signal beside the outbox signal)
Old 03-17-2019, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post

We are aware of the usability problem that is caused by not having user-definable record delay compensation and will look at ways to possibly improve this in the future.
c.
so...8+ years later, is there any way to manually set an offset for Apogee, Lynx etc interfaces?!
I'm combining Avid HD with an Apogee converter and the input delay comp doesn't work properly, so there's an offset between the Apogee and the Avid converter when using both converters on the same source (drums for example).
it would be so simple to just manually set an offset for recording delay comp for the Apogee, much like it's possible with HW inserts...why has that still not been implemented yet?
Old 09-28-2020, 09:05 AM

still topic today?!

Is there any similar thread according to recent hardware? What I read, this is not fixed software-side with the most recent Pro Tools version. Also this is not HD(X) specific. With every USB-Interface on native systems the compensation works only for the AD-DA integrated but not with any digital connections you make from your interface to external converters.

What about the most recent MTRX-Interface? The empty chassis comes with two AES-EBU ports so 16 I/Os which seems pretty useless to me if clips recorded are wrong placed in the timeline due to incorrect compensation for I/O delay.

Maybe anyone can transfer this from legacy to most recent as this very old problem still exists!
Old 09-28-2020, 09:09 AM

ADC works very well on HDX, sidechain delay compensation included.
Old 09-28-2020, 09:15 AM

But how does HDX know, how many samples my external Converter needs, to do the conversion?

I have a Universal Audio 4-710d connected via AES to my 192 I/O and those clips are 12 samples late in timeline. Another Mic-Pre connected via ADAT is 16 samples late.

What is new on HDX with HD I/O or MTRX? I can't believe that this is not a problem anymore as long as I can define my delays for specific inputs. In my case 12 samples for AES and 16 for ADAT.
Old 09-28-2020, 09:16 AM

Obviously you need to tell PT how much to offset the external delay Avid has no control over
Old 09-28-2020, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gandlz View Post
What is new on HDX with HD I/O or MTRX?
Nothing. Delay compensation happens on HDX, not interface.
Old 09-28-2020, 09:21 AM

So can I tell Pro Tools about that offset in recent version???
Old 09-28-2020, 09:22 AM

Go to IO setup and find out